Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #121
mehrkat

Default Re: Combat Maneuvers Cheat Sheet

I really really like the combat cheat sheet. The only problem is my poor eyes.

Is there by any chance an expanded version that uses a bigger font? If not I may start fiddling with one in my spare time.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #122
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
Is there by any chance an expanded version that uses a bigger font?
Certainly the problem is that the space on the paper is very limited.
But as he even published his source file, you could take his version, free enough space by deleting some lines which are not so important for you and then apply a bigger font to everything... ;)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #123
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Certainly the problem is that the space on the paper is very limited.
But as he even published his source file, you could take his version, free enough space by deleting some lines which are not so important for you and then apply a bigger font to everything... ;)
Well, sure, if you have Adobe InDesign. Which is a $600+ software suite. This is why I tend to use Word and Excel then make sure the documents are compatible with OpenOffice.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #124
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:

Is there by any chance an expanded version that uses a bigger font? If not I may start fiddling with one in my spare time.
I kinda agree. While the sheet isn't too bad onscreen, when you print it out it's awful itty bitty.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #125
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
This rocks.

I tend to start new players with Combat Lite and after a few sessions, start showing them some options.
I wouldn't give this sheet to a brand new role-player, but after a few sessions this will be perfect. They'll recognize all the basics that they've been using and see the advantages and disadvantages of the options in comparison.

Thank you for this. I'm giving it to my gaming group this week.
After the updates, I'm compelled to say all of the same things again. This page is great! Having it all in one place is a great tool. I'm putting a copy in each of my campaign/convention game folders.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #126
huensao

This sheet is truly marvelous. I created something similar, but it's garbage compared to this. I LOVE IT! That said, I have something to add. :)

I've always been frustrated with the fact that knockdown and stunning are such an important part of the GURPS combat system, yet: 1) Neither knockdown nor stunning have an entry in the index (you have to look under Major Wounds). 2) The hit location notes for head, skull and vital don't mention that *any* injury to those locations which is sufficient to cause shock results in a health check vs. knockdown and stunning (p. B420). Since you have pretty much copied those hit location notes from RAW, I see the same issue. My recommendation would be to change the following footnotes as follows:

[3] The skull gets an extra DR 2. Wounding modifier is ×4. Injuries sufficient to cause a shock penalty incur knockdown rolls; knockdown rolls from major wounds are at -10. Critical hits use the Critical Head Blow Table (B556). Exception: These special effects do not apply to tox damage.

[4] Jaw, cheeks, nose, ears, etc. If the target has an open-faced helmet, ignore its DR. Injuries sufficient to cause a shock penalty incur knockdown rolls; knockdown rolls from major wounds are at -5. Critical hits use the Critical Head Blow Table (B556). Cor damage gets a ×1.5 wounding modifier, and if it inflicts a major wound, it also blinds one eye (both eyes on damage over full HP). Random attacks from behind hit the skull instead. On front hit, roll 1d. 1 means skull [3] hit if attack is imp, pi, tbb. Otherwise it’s a nose hit [15].

[11] Heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. Increase wounding modifier for imp or pi attack to ×3. Increase wounding modifier for tbb attack to ×2. Other attacks cannot target the vitals. Injuries sufficient to cause a shock penalty incur knockdown rolls.
huensao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #127
Onkl

Quote:

I am very sorry but I will not be doing a bigger font version of the sheet. My suggestion to you is to print it to an A3 page instead of an A4 (letter) page. Then you should not have a problem reading everything. I'm sure there is a copy-shop somewhere near you who will do that for a small fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huensao View Post
This sheet is truly marvelous. I created something similar, but it's garbage compared to this. I LOVE IT! That said, I have something to add.
Thanks for your suggestion. All of these knockdown and injury modifiers will be mentioned on the injury sheet which I'm working on now. The Hit Location Table will probably move to the injury sheet and will then be expanded, probably as you suggested.

Cheers
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #128
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I kinda agree. While the sheet isn't too bad onscreen, when you print it out it's awful itty bitty.
As we in Europe use ISO paper sizes, I designed the sheet in A4 format. I think when you print in on letter paper, it will be even smaller due to the form factor. As all printers can use ISO paper sizes as well as US paper sizes, you could try to print it on an A4 sheet, maybe the tiny increase in font size will be sufficient for you.

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #129
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Thanks for your suggestion. All of these knockdown and injury modifiers will be mentioned on the injury sheet which I'm working on now. The Hit Location Table will probably move to the injury sheet and will then be expanded, probably as you suggested.
Sounds great, keep going :)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #130
Celti

I just found a flaw in the Hit Locations section; in note 11, it says 'Other attacks cannot target the vitals', but crushing attacks can, as per note 18 and the last paragraph of p.137 in Martial Arts.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, game aid, game aids