Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #41
KevinJ

Default Re: Modular Cidri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
As are Westeros, Barsoom, and at least a couple of copies each of Middle Earth, Numenor, and Valinor.
If Barsoom is here where are the 8ft tall, 4 armed guys?
Old 05-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #42
Chris Rice

I read a lot of Michael Moorcock and Golden Age Sci Fi when I was a kid, so my games had lots of planar travel, genre crossover, etc. Cidri fits right in with that. It can be the nexus of the multiverse; perhaps a giant planet, perhaps many planets, perhaps a Mnoren zoo, perhaps just an idea in the mind of a mad Wizard.

Whatever you want it to be.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #43
HeatDeath

Remember how Ringworld embedded 1-1 scale "maps" of terrestrial planets as islands in a monstrous ocean? Barsoom is there, but its shorelines are 30km vertical cliffs, and the Tharks lack the technology or the tolerance for higher air pressure to scale them, not to mention the technology for astronomical-length sea travel once they get down to the ocean. There are permanent gates that can get you in and out of Barsoom, but they are very well hidden.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #44
HeatDeath

The awesome thing is, "A Pricess of Mars" is public domain, Disney's movie notwithstanding. SJG could publish a TFT splatbook for it tomorrow, if they were so inclined.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:37 AM   #45
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I read a lot of Michael Moorcock and Golden Age Sci Fi when I was a kid, so my games had lots of planar travel, genre crossover, etc. Cidri fits right in with that. It can be the nexus of the multiverse; perhaps a giant planet, perhaps many planets, perhaps a Mnoren zoo, perhaps just an idea in the mind of a mad Wizard.

Whatever you want it to be.
/\ THIS /\
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:07 AM   #46
Shostak

Cidri is an idea. As a world in which to creative fast, furious, fun fantasy adventures for which I don't have to worry about creating minute details, it serves admirably. It is a very general campaign seed to inspire players to create their own adventures. I have no expectation that any other GM will have quite the same understanding of Cidri as I. None of this bothers me. On the contrary, I find it liberating. I emphatically do not want a cumbersome official set of details about the world.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:08 AM   #47
Chris Rice

There's nothing to stop us discussing it but I doubt we'll get an official ruling which is fine by me as I don't want one.

As far as I'm concerened YOUR campaign world (whatever it may be) can fit in MY Cidri no matter how realistic or unrealistic it may be. If mine doesn't fit in yours, that's your choice and doesn't bother me at all. I'm perfectly fine with ignoring the real world physics of such a gigantic planet, as is everyone I play with. If you can't do that then you'll have to modify it to suit your needs but I don't need to follow you.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #48
warhorse11h

As my old first sergeants used to say, "If this doesn't apply to you, ignore it."

Some of us need to get a grip. This is supposed to be a game that we play for fun. If it irritates you this much, maybe you should fine another source of recreation.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #49
Sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
As my old first sergeants used to say, "If this doesn't apply to you, ignore it."

Some of us need to get a grip. This is supposed to be a game that we play for fun. If it irritates you this much, maybe you should fine another source of recreation.
Yeah, I don't really care about "every campaign fits in Cidri somewhere." I'll run my campaign as a single world (that suspiciously resembles the Mediterreanean Sea and its surrounding lands) and that's that.
Sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #50
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinanju View Post
Yeah, I don't really care about "every campaign fits in Cidri somewhere." I'll run my campaign as a single world (that suspiciously resembles the Mediterreanean Sea and its surrounding lands) and that's that.
Hey, that sounds good. Myself, I used some of the ideas presented in this forum to develop my world view to allow for functional religions, with a difference. In my campaign, all religions, including good old Enok, have some validity. Priests have a connection to some otherworldly force, be they gods or whatever. Actually, they are Mnoren, using religion as a tool to guide events on Cidri the way they want to for their reasons, which are unknown to the players. All they know is that the gods help or hinder them. It works for what I want to do. Anyone who wants to can adapt, alter, disregard it as they see fit.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote