Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
PWCroft

Default Conundrums Addressed?

Are there any good sources out there addressing some of the theological conundrums? In other words, what do the various In Nomine characters (AAs, DPs, etc.) have to say about things like dinosaurs, carbon dating, literal interpretation, evolution, etc.? Most of all, I think I would love to hear an Archangel's explanation of the Theological Fallacy.
PWCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Conundrums Addressed?

If I read the rules and the expansions correctly, the Superiors of the IN universe know both evolution and intelligent design to be true ... that is, life and the planet evolved, but the evolution was initiated through the Plan that God gave through Metatron to the angels making the Earth. Heaven & Hell notes that at the far edges of Jordi's Savannah, dinosaurs still roam, and Jordi in particular is vocal about his feeling that mankind is one more species of animal, only worthy of attention because God says so. The timeline given in the GM's Guide shows millions upon millions of years passing, so I would presume that carbon dating is viewed as accurate as well (though I wouldn't put it past Kobal -- or possibly Janus -- to have a little fun with the evidence from time to time, just to keep everyone on their toes.)

"Literal interpretation" is a little trickier, since IN's canonical position (unless altered by a GM) is that no faith has it all right, though some of them have a lot of things right. The things that have been canonically established in the game include:

* The existence of the Garden of Eden (as a laboratory experiment suggested by Lucifer).

* The Exodus of the Jews (watched over by a young Khalid).

* Gabriel announcing the birth of Christ.

* The existence and crucifixion of Peter.

* Gabriel delivering the Koran to Muhammad (though there's significant doubt as to who altered the text from the draft that was discussed by the Seraphim Council).

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
If I read the rules and the expansions correctly, the Superiors of the IN universe know both evolution and intelligent design to be true ... that is, life and the planet evolved, but the evolution was initiated through the Plan that God gave through Metatron to the angels making the Earth.
That would be the default stance, yes. Intelligent Evolution. (Or at least "nudged" evolution.) Humans existed before Eden.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:08 AM   #4
Andygal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
That would be the default stance, yes. Intelligent Evolution. (Or at least "nudged" evolution.) Humans existed before Eden.
I believe the usual term is "theistic evolution". IE: evolution guided, or influenced by a divine being.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

*files that term away in her head, hopefully* Thanks! Sounds better, too.

Tags
canon