Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
Dexion

Default Bike minimum ST

I have a question about bikes.
In the Basic p.188 in Driving Motorcycle,
It's specifiy that large motorcycles often have a Minimum ST, just like a weapon.
As a biker, I agree with this. But where I can find this stat ? Because I looked for in the Basic and High-Tech and I can't find it.
Dexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
Say, it isn't that bad!

Default Re: Bike minimum ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexion View Post
I have a question about bikes.
In the Basic p.188 in Driving Motorcycle,
It's specifiy that large motorcycles often have a Minimum ST, just like a weapon.
As a biker, I agree with this. But where I can find this stat ? Because I looked for in the Basic and High-Tech and I can't find it.
It's possible that was considered below the resolution of the system; even in urban fantasy, an adventuring spellcaster is unlikely to have less than ST9.

Edit: Grammar; "a" -> "an".

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.

Last edited by Say, it isn't that bad!; 03-04-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:02 PM   #3
Donny Brook

My personal opinion is that no-one should ride a motorcycle that she cannot pull upright by herself in the event of a tumble. That would mean the bike's weight cannot exceed half of the character's Extra-heavy encumbrance. So a 400 lb bike would have Min ST of 10.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 03-04-2021 at 08:07 PM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
Rolando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
My personal opinion is that no-one should ride a motorcycle that she cannot pull upright in by herself the event of a tumble. That would mean the bike's weight cannot exceed half of the character's Extra-heavy encumbrance. So a 400 lb bike would have Min ST of 10.
this is a good rule of thumb
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
this is a good rule of thumb
Thank you, but I have remedied my atrocious typos nonetheless!
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:39 AM   #6
Opellulo

Quote:
My personal opinion is that no-one should ride a motorcycle that she cannot pull upright by herself in the event of a tumble. That would mean the bike's weight cannot exceed half of the character's Extra-heavy encumbrance. So a 400 lb bike would have Min ST of 10.
It's a good rule and if you like details you can go even deeper rolling in some considerations about seat/handle position, weight distribution and height from ground. Given personal experience id' say: Sports/Roadbike DEFAULT, Scooter/Custom -1 ST, Dirt/Offroad +1ST (maybe adding a further +1ST requirement for competition bikes because they for sure are lighter, but way more difficult to handle)

BTW you would be amazed on how often this rule is broken in real life... :D
Here in Italy we are a little obsessed by bikes so is it not uncommon to see people trying to step from a Vespa to a CBR600 RR or pretending to tame a mastodon like the BMW 1200GS as a commuting option.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:01 AM   #7
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo View Post
It's a good rule and if you like details you can go even deeper rolling in some considerations about seat/handle position, weight distribution and height from ground. Given personal experience id' say: Sports/Roadbike DEFAULT, Scooter/Custom -1 ST, Dirt/Offroad +1ST (maybe adding a further +1ST requirement for competition bikes because they for sure are lighter, but way more difficult to handle)
How hard something is to handle should probably be considered when setting Hnd/SR (especially the latter), not how strong you have to be. That should solely be about being able to manage the mass of the thing.

I'd also be generous with any such MinST. Most bikes are managable by people of average ST, so very few should have MinST higher than ST9-10.

Round here it's the idiots on 250cc 'crotch rockets' that give motorcyclists a bad name (some of these bikes are prohobited for these licences, but the list is quite short). The learner licence limits what you're allowed to ride by engine size, and 250cc is the upper limit, so you get people (by which I really mean young men) with very limited experience on a bike with lots of power, very little weight, and next to no stability. This goes exactly as well as you'd expect.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:36 AM   #8
WingedKagouti

Quote:
It's a good rule for how big a mc you should purchase irl, but it has nothing to do with Min ST for handling the bike during normal operation. There are also various techniques you can learn that will help you right a crashed bike, even if it above what would be your Extra-heavy encumbrance.

The vast majority of modern motorcycles can be handled by anyone of the apropriate size regardless of their physical strength. They rely on technique and experience instead of force. Even if you could bench a specific bike, you'd have issues riding it if you're notably smaller or larger than the intended rider.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:30 AM   #9
Rolando

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
It's a good rule for how big a mc you should purchase irl, but it has nothing to do with Min ST for handling the bike during normal operation. There are also various techniques you can learn that will help you right a crashed bike, even if it above what would be your Extra-heavy encumbrance.

The vast majority of modern motorcycles can be handled by anyone of the apropriate size regardless of their physical strength. They rely on technique and experience instead of force. Even if you could bench a specific bike, you'd have issues riding it if you're notably smaller or larger than the intended rider.
those techniques and experience seems a lot like character points invested in the motorcycle skill, and/or an skill technique defaulting to the bike skill.

A person with the minimum ST or more will have an easier time than a low TS one. Handling the bike also means balancing the heavy weight and keeping it steady at low speed. Easy driving across a paved street doesn't need a roll.

Where I live the motorcycle license allow anyone to ride anything with 2 wheels, so you sometimes see people trying to handle big bikes and then selling them, most of the time middle aged men with good status that always wanted to ride a big harley davidson.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:35 AM   #10
Kalzazz

I think tiny bikes you can easily pick up like tiny Honda Spree may be the hardest to control so don't think it is strictly weight related
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote