Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default How would you do this anime trope?

There is a trope in Anime (It might get used in a few other places too) of using Super Jump to dodge area of effect attacks. As far as I can tell it would take a rather incredible amount of super jump to get the speed necessary to jump out of even a very moderate aoe by increasing your "step" distance (a long jump distance of 100 with super jump would grant a jump move speed of 20. If you calculated your 'step' distance based on jumping you'd end up moving 2 yards.)

So how would you do it? Would you let someone perform a "power dodge" using their super jump and the power dodge rules in powers? Have huge amounts of super jump that are only accessible if jumping as part of an active defense? Buy a ton of basic move only for increasing step distance while performing an active defense?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
William

Default Re: How would you do this anime trope?

I like this idea. Power defenses are a thing -- I don't see why Super Jump shouldn't have the ability to act as a super dodge.

Maybe enhance the Super Jump with Reduced Time? The next level down from "1 second" is usually "free action." This could be a general thing: if something can normally be used as part of a 1-second maneuver, a level of Reduced Time will allow it to be used suddenly -- at full strength -- in response to an attack.

Last edited by William; 11-03-2018 at 09:35 PM.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:45 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

It is probably better represented by a modified Warp ability.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It is probably better represented by a modified Warp ability.
This was my thought too. Warp already has mechanics for this built in.

Here's an old thread which has some interesting thoughts about the relationship between super-jump and step distance. If you can get step high enough, then it can be done using the dive for cover mechanics.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
There is a trope in Anime (It might get used in a few other places too) of using Super Jump to dodge area of effect attacks. As far as I can tell it would take a rather incredible amount of super jump to get the speed necessary to jump out of even a very moderate aoe by increasing your "step" distance (a long jump distance of 100 with super jump would grant a jump move speed of 20. If you calculated your 'step' distance based on jumping you'd end up moving 2 yards.)

So how would you do it? Would you let someone perform a "power dodge" using their super jump and the power dodge rules in powers? Have huge amounts of super jump that are only accessible if jumping as part of an active defense? Buy a ton of basic move only for increasing step distance while performing an active defense?
Anime tends to have enough build up to it's explosive attacks that characters would have time to do a half-move dodge anyway. But yeah there's nothing wrong with a power dodge.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #6
LowManaMovieMagic

You could also just let the player who wants to avail themselves of the trope buy Enhanced Dodge with the same power source as their Super Jump ability.
LowManaMovieMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowManaMovieMagic View Post
You could also just let the player who wants to avail themselves of the trope buy Enhanced Dodge with the same power source as their Super Jump ability.
That's not the issue. You can't dodge an AOE while remaining in the AOE. But you automatically dodge it if you can move out of the area.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:21 AM   #8
Anaraxes

The problem comes from the fact that Super Jump is not Move. A long jump takes more than one turn (5, in fact), which the ability rules work backward to give you a Move value and thus a step.

One answer to that problem is just to keep buying up Super Jump until the step gets high enough to take you out of the desired AoE. That will mean that you can jump a really long way; if that's undesirable, you could negotiate a Limitation with the GM for "Jump Speed Only; Not for Maximum Distance".

Or you could do the same thing the other way around. Buy the distance for Super Jump that you want. Then buy some Enhanced Move, with the Limitation "Only for Dodging". Just describe that Move as "jumping", and feel free to narrate the character as having leapt out of the way just in time, even though they can't dash about, speedster style. You might even want to treat "Jumping" as a Move environment distinct from Ground or Air, so as to speed up the travel time of any Super Jump without increasing its distance, or allowing the character to run fast without jumping.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
Black Leviathan

I don't mean to be that guy, but I would not do that Anime trope in GURPS. There are other systems that better play to that style of game. Too many questions like this in your game shows that you're finding the edge of what this system does well mechanically.

That said if you're intent on doing it, I agree with AlexaderHowl that this would best be governed by Warp and limited to AOE attacks.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
This was my thought too. Warp already has mechanics for this built in.

Here's an old thread which has some interesting thoughts about the relationship between super-jump and step distance. If you can get step high enough, then it can be done using the dive for cover mechanics.
That thread seems to thoroughly and satisfyingly answer the question.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote