Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #5341
Inky
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Yes, whatever the locals thought these people were, it wouldn't be "superheroes". :-)
__________________
Looking for online text-based game at a UK-feasible time, anything considered, Roll20 preferred. http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=168443
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #5342
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In Brittany-3, supers started appearing worldwide around 800 AD, completely changing the course of history. The Kingdom of Brittany was one of the first politics in Europe to offer refuge to supers, giving it the ability to expand until it had conquered Western Europe, becoming the Empire of Brittany in 951 AD. The Byzantine Empire followed its example of couple decades later and started a domino effect where every nation that wanted to survive needed to embrace supers. Similar trends occurred in the Americas, where the super adopting Taino conquered the Caribs, where the Aztecs were crushed by the Mayans, etc.

It is now 1500 AD, and supers form the aristocracies of the majority of the existent nations. While the Empire of Brittany and the Byzantine Empire share Europe, the Xia Dynasty rules China, their supers having crushed the Genghis Khan early in his career. In the West Asia, Persia rules supreme, its Shahs having destroyed Sunni Islam with their super warriors.

Infinity is frankly terrified of the timeline, despite the fact that it is only TL4. With a superhuman population of 1%, the timeline has one of the highest populations of supers known to Homeline, despite having a population of only 500 million. While M-scale superhumans are nonexistent, 10% of superhumans are D-scale and 1% of superhumans are C-scale, meaning that there are the equivalent of 50,000 main battle tanks in human form running around the timeline. The only reason that things have not gone sideways is due to some very strict codes of honor, where supers only fight supers on the battlefield, except when defending the innocent.
<shrug> And why would Infinity be terrified of that? It's already aware of a bunch of worlds with supers, manifest gods, eldritch horrors, arch magicians and so forth. They end up on the restricted list of course but they have encountered this kind of thing to often with nary a serious problem as a result to be that fearful.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:16 PM   #5343
Prince Charon
 
Prince Charon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try this one...

This Q6 low manna world both terrifies and attracts Homeline, Centrum, and the Cabal. Its inhabitants seem to be able to control reality quakes.

<SNIP>
Well, that could be an interesting setting to game in.
__________________
Warning, I have the Distractible and Imaginative quirks in real life.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 9/28/2020: On Torture article has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:56 PM   #5344
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
<shrug> And why would Infinity be terrified of that? It's already aware of a bunch of worlds with supers, manifest gods, eldritch horrors, arch magicians and so forth. They end up on the restricted list of course but they have encountered this kind of thing to often with nary a serious problem as a result to be that fearful.
It is more the sheer numbers of supers than the fact that they exist. A C-Scale super is individually as capable as manifest gods, eldritch horrors, archmages, etc., so finding a timeline with 50,000 of them active is more than a little unsettling.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #5345
SilvercatMoonpaw
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Yellowstone: This name is used to mark any time the Yellowstone hotspot has erupted since the end of the last Ice Age.

Yellowstone-1: Erupts during the Seven Years War.

Yellowstone-2: Erupts during the Mexican American War.

Yellowstone-3: Erupts just before WWII.

Yellowstone-4: This hell parallel was named erroneously: it's actually the result of super-science "mega nukes" setting off a chain reaction of volcanoes around the world.
__________________
Pronouns: "They"
"I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!' ” -- Neil Gaiman
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #5346
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Yellowstone: This name is used to mark any time the Yellowstone hotspot has erupted since the end of the last Ice Age.

Yellowstone-1: Erupts during the Seven Years War.

Yellowstone-2: Erupts during the Mexican American War.

Yellowstone-3: Erupts just before WWII.

Yellowstone-4: This hell parallel was named erroneously: it's actually the result of super-science "mega nukes" setting off a chain reaction of volcanoes around the world.
Note that all those times were during wars or in the run-up to wars. Homeline is investigating the possibility that these worlds have natural catastrophies linked to the political temperature "heating up", probably via some psionic mechanism.
__________________
"Is this not your natural state? It's the unspoken truth of humanity, that you crave subjugation. The bright lure of freedom diminishes your life's joy in a mad scramble for power, for identity. You were made to be ruled." - my cats
Anders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #5347
SilvercatMoonpaw
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Note that all those times were during wars or in the run-up to wars. Homeline is investigating the possibility that these worlds have natural catastrophies linked to the political temperature "heating up", probably via some psionic mechanism.
Not only are they going off during wars, but wars involving the USA (or the potential USA, in the case of Y-1). While if only 1, 3, and 4 existed it could be chalked up to the international nature of those conflicts (assuming 4 is the Cold War), with 2 in the mix things start to become more suspicious.

(Real reason: My limited thinking assumed that these had to occur such that it disrupted North American history, when the reality is with enough ash in the atmosphere it would probably mess up other times via climate shift.)
__________________
Pronouns: "They"
"I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!' ” -- Neil Gaiman
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #5348
YankeeGamer
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Not only are they going off during wars, but wars involving the USA (or the potential USA, in the case of Y-1). While if only 1, 3, and 4 existed it could be chalked up to the international nature of those conflicts (assuming 4 is the Cold War), with 2 in the mix things start to become more suspicious.

(Real reason: My limited thinking assumed that these had to occur such that it disrupted North American history, when the reality is with enough ash in the atmosphere it would probably mess up other times via climate shift.)
How often isn't there a major war on Earth?
Yellowstone blowing would REALLY mess up EVERYTHING. It would make The Year Without a Summer look positively balmy.
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:31 PM   #5349
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Before TL7, Yellowstone blowing would pretty much kill everyone in North America (and likely most of the rest of humanity as well). Each time a VEI-8 eruption occurred in the past, humanity nearly went extinct. The most recent VEI-8 eruption of Lake Top reduced the human population to a few thousand individuals.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:19 PM   #5350
tshiggins
 
tshiggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Before TL7, Yellowstone blowing would pretty much kill everyone in North America (and likely most of the rest of humanity as well). Each time a VEI-8 eruption occurred in the past, humanity nearly went extinct. The most recent VEI-8 eruption of Lake Top reduced the human population to a few thousand individuals.
Even now, at TL8, it would cause such havoc to the Northern Hemisphere that it would probably crash the civilizations, up here, and move the centers of human progress to south of Equator.
https://www.usgs.gov/media/videos/fo...-supereruption

I'd certainly be dead, in Denver.
Hopefully, were it to happen in my lifetime, I'd be schlepping through Asia or Europe, on vacation. :)
__________________
--
MXLP:9 [JD=1, DK=1, DM-M=1, M(FAW)=1, SS=2, Nym=1 (nose coffee), sj=1 (nose cocoa), Maz=1]
"Some days, I just don't know what to think." -Daryl Dixon.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.