Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #631
Prince Charon

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try this idea, Richard III actually gets elected Holy Roman Emperor9he tried to get this in our history). This starts a long war in the German lands as the Habsburgs struggle to reclaim the throne. Deaths of key figures in the House of York place Richard on the English throne without any bloodshed on his part. The local year is 1486. Europe is divided into the Imperial alliance; England, France, the Papalcy, and the North German states, and the Austrian Alliance; Austria, Bavaria, Hungary, Naples, Spain, and most of the rest of Italy, with Venice Neutral but leaning toward the Imperials.

Centrum backs Richard on this Q6 world. Homeline is mainly working to blunt Centrum influence. The Cabal, whose main interests on this world are in India and Central Asia (but they show great interest in certain rural areas in Ireland), is acting against Centrum as well and is trying to build alliences with Homeline.

Are these alliences because of common goals? Does the Cabal simply need to keep Homeline and Centrum distracted? Why is the Cabal looking for the local equivents of the ancestors of H.P.Lovecraft?
Given that I've a copy of GURPS Horror open at the moment, that last one is very worrisome.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:32 AM   #632
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Given that I've a copy of GURPS Horror open at the moment, that last one is very worrisome.
Thank-you very kindly.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #633
Astromancer

Try this idea.

On the Q4 world Lovecraft-9 a group of Mi-go Fungi have gotten wind of both the Cabal and Reich-5 intruding into this world. A faction of the Mi-go, which had gained a sort of licence to exploit/develop the Earth realises that both of these groups are dangerous to the Mi-go in different ways. So the Mi-go get ....ideas.

First, the guy they infected with cancer to shut him up, a hack writer named Lovecraft, is healed of his cancer and informed that, if he means to keep his brain out of a canister, he works for them. Another hack out in California, Ashton Smith is read a similar riot act. They bring the third hack, the Texas guy back from the dead, same deal.

These three are used as go-betweens to make contact with key figures in the government. Well key in Mi-Go eyes, or at least sensory protruberences. Tech is exchanged and humanity gets an allience with the Mi-Go. Howard Phillip says the term translates better as something between hired and made, as in joins the mob. But he's grimm and no one listens much to him.

The local year is 1944. The Nazis are backed by Reich-5, the Mi-Go and the Cabal are striving to control the Allies, WWII looks to go into overtime. Homeline just wants to keep the damage limited to this paralllel. But they are sending agents to steal any interesting bits of Mi-Go technology.

Advise to agents: stay out of the brain canisters!

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 05-15-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #634
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
So the Mi-go get ....ideas.
This touches on something about the Mythos that gets neglected. Some of the creatures, while very strange, are material entities that have at least some needs and motives in common with humanity. One can imaginably make common cause with the Mi-go, or Elder Things, or Deep Ones, in a way that simple isn't possible with Great Old Ones.

Now, this setting presumably has encounters with the Mythos going on behind the wainscot. There are two WWII settings for CoC, Achtung Cthulhu and World War Cthulhu, so there's lots of stuff to rip off.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #635
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This touches on something about the Mythos that gets neglected. Some of the creatures, while very strange, are material entities that have at least some needs and motives in common with humanity. One can imaginably make common cause with the Mi-go, or Elder Things, or Deep Ones, in a way that simple isn't possible with Great Old Ones.

Now, this setting presumably has encounters with the Mythos going on behind the wainscot. There are two WWII settings for CoC, Achtung Cthulhu and World War Cthulhu, so there's lots of stuff to rip off.
Agreed, and with Riech-5, the CABAL, and the MI-GO, you'll have three flavors of creepy to choose from at all times.

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #636
Astromancer

Try this idea, if Benidict Arnold had died at Saratoga, he'd have been the hero/martyr of the American Revolution. Nathan Hale would be replaced in the role. What changes would be made to history from an early death for Benidict Arnold, other than his becoming a beloved hero?

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #637
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Agreed, and with Riech-5, the CABAL, and the MI-GO, you'll have three flavors of creepy to choose from at all times.
Ah, I wasn't clear enough. This is a CoC world, and encounters with the mythos will have been happening for centuries. The Mi-Go have decided to help defend it from invaders. The thing that's confusing for the locals is that the invaders are human, and that gives them a dilemma: betray the aliens from the stars who treat them as cattle? The invaders are human, but will nonetheless treat them as cattle. Wow, great choice we have here!
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #638
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Ah, I wasn't clear enough. This is a CoC world, and encounters with the mythos will have been happening for centuries. The Mi-Go have decided to help defend it from invaders. The thing that's confusing for the locals is that the invaders are human, and that gives them a dilemma: betray the aliens from the stars who treat them as cattle? The invaders are human, but will nonetheless treat them as cattle. Wow, great choice we have here!
It's enough to make you like the Cabal. Oh wait they'd treat us like cattle too. San Check!!

But seriously, I now see you understand me.

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #639
patchwork

Quote:
Try this idea, if Benidict Arnold had died at Saratoga, he'd have been the hero/martyr of the American Revolution. Nathan Hale would be replaced in the role. What changes would be made to history from an early death for Benidict Arnold, other than his becoming a beloved hero?
It leaves three brothers - Benedict jr, Richard and Henry - as Connecticut residents able to capitalize on their father's heroics and likely to follow in military careers themselves while trading on their father's name. Depending on the details of their lives, they may shoulder aside John Quincy Adams as New England's candidate in the second generation - or even more likely, replace Andrew Jackson in command at New Orleans, command in Florida and eventually President.
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:20 AM   #640
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
It leaves three brothers - Benedict jr, Richard and Henry - as Connecticut residents able to capitalize on their father's heroics and likely to follow in military careers themselves while trading on their father's name. Depending on the details of their lives, they may shoulder aside John Quincy Adams as New England's candidate in the second generation - or even more likely, replace Andrew Jackson in command at New Orleans, command in Florida and eventually President.
Well, a rotting potato would have made a better president than Jackson. His massive grab for executive power laid the foundation for the civil war, I believe.
Replacing him with anybody else would have reduced the "executive creep" and slowed the erosion of individual states' rights.

(I know my knowledge of history is shaky, to say the least. So if anything I say is laughably ignorant, I apologize.)

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited