Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #21
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post

I used that exact passage to work backward with Short-Range. Far as I know this is the first time it's been used like that. I could have made a note but I thought it was pretty implicit for the text. Playtesters didn't have a problem with it, Kromm didn't have a problem with it on his read-through, PK didn't have a problem with it from when I wrote that power up for Pointless Monster Hunting.
Yeah the Step wording has been used in a couple of examples so I thought it was a reasonable extension of precedent. Probably better than a new table or chart too!
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #22
Christopher R. Rice

I aped the style of DF11 and it doesn't always explain everything going on in the traits section as they rely on the main text for the power-up to do that. I did what I could, but I figured this was explanation enough that I didn't add a footnote.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #23
Humabout

Quote:
GURPS Horror (p. 14)
Quote:
Higher Purpose
see p. B59
Slayers (p. 43) receive a Higher Purpose to aid them
against their foes. This doesn’t necessarily imply a supernatural
ability or a destiny; it might simply represent intensive
training at monster-slaying. The slayer must pick one
class of prey per Higher Purpose: Aliens, Demons,
Lycanthropes, Mutants, Undead, etc. He gets +1 on all rolls
– attack, defense, damage, resistance, etc. – made when battling
such creatures.
Multiple levels of Higher Purpose are possible. These
can extend the bonus to several categories of foes; e.g.,
Higher Purpose (Slay Demons and Undead) [10] gives +1
vs. demons and undead. Moreover, a slayer can take up to
three levels against the same group for a higher bonus; e.g.,
Higher Purpose 3 (Slay Undead) [15], for +3 vs. undead.
I see nothing that says you are exempt from what is in Basic Set or what Kromm has posted. I just see an expansion that allows multiple levels and renders it a mundane trait (as opposed to supernatural or exotic).

Quote:
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages (p. 9) under the dagger footnote
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups (p. 12) under Mortal Foe.

All of these Higher Purposes work just like the one in my book.
Since when is GURPS Monster Hunters GURPS Dungeon Fantasy? Last I checked, they are different lines with different assumptions, and by Kromm's own declaration, DF is meant to be super gamist and fly fast and loose with the rules. Saying it's okay because DF did it is like telling a cop, "It's okay because Dennis Rodman did it!" Why don't you just lay out your actual reasoning like authors use to in the old days on here instead of getting defensive?

Quote:
I used that exact passage to work backward with Short-Range. Far as I know this is the first time it's been used lik
e that. I could have made a note but I thought it was pretty implicit for the text. Playtesters didn't have a problem with it, Kromm didn't have a problem with it on his read-through, PK didn't have a problem with it from when I wrote that power up for Pointless Monster Hunting.
I didn't see where he said he has a problem with the point cost. He has an issue with the misleading nature of the name without any explanation. Perhaps offer one instead of taking offense at his questions?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #24
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I see nothing that says you are exempt from what is in Basic Set or what Kromm has posted. I just see an expansion that allows multiple levels and renders it a mundane trait (as opposed to supernatural or exotic).

Since when is GURPS Monster Hunters GURPS Dungeon Fantasy? Last I checked, they are different lines with different assumptions, and by Kromm's own declaration, DF is meant to be super gamist and fly fast and loose with the rules. Saying it's okay because DF did it is like telling a cop, "It's okay because Dennis Rodman did it!" Why don't you just lay out your actual reasoning like authors use to in the old days on here instead of getting defensive?
I don't understand how you're taking my posts as defensive when I'm doing my level best at explaining what my reasoning was when I wrote it.

And DF and MH are enough alike (Cinematic monster-killing lines) that I felt it was just fine to add more Higher Purpose specialities as DF had done in its own Power-Ups book. Moreover, the line's creator - PK - felt the same way. Higher Purpose for hunting monsters is on p. 24 of MH1. It spells out exactly what Higher Purpose does in GURPS Monster Hunters.. If it required a Code of Honor to follow it, PK would have mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I didn't see where he said he has a problem with the point cost. He has an issue with the misleading nature of the name without any explanation. Perhaps offer one instead of taking offense at his questions?
Not sure how what I posted was me taking offense. But ok. I gave an explanation. Sorry if that's not good enough.

Become a Patron!
Old 04-30-2020, 11:54 PM   #25
Jinumon

A quick question for our resident expert in Corvid Numismatics.

First off, absolutely LOVE the invention and kit-bashing system in the back, and plan to use a modified version of it for Mad Scientists in a GURPS Deadlands game. Thank you so much for putting this together.

My question is this: are devices constructed using the New Designs rules subject to the rules for Durability under Kit-Bashing? I.e. do they make HT rolls every time they're activated to see if their HT is reduced? As prototypes, are they technically "kit-based" since they're generally thrown together in a garage?

Thanks again, Chris,

Love your work.

Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:03 AM   #26
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
A quick question for our resident expert in Corvid Numismatics.

First off, absolutely LOVE the invention and kit-bashing system in the back, and plan to use a modified version of it for Mad Scientists in a GURPS Deadlands game. Thank you so much for putting this together.

My question is this: are devices constructed using the New Designs rules subject to the rules for Durability under Kit-Bashing? I.e. do they make HT rolls every time they're activated to see if their HT is reduced? As prototypes, are they technically "kit-based" since they're generally thrown together in a garage?

Thanks again, Chris,

Love your work.

Jinumon
No, they are more permanent. You could rule otherwise, of course.

Become a Patron!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #27
JulianLW

Question:

Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1 has the "I Got That!" power-up at 2/level on page 11, including this bit of text:

"total value is equal to ($2,000 ¥ level of this trait). For example, if you had I Got That! 5, you could get up to $10,000 in gear. Those with Patron can use their starting budget (Champions, p. 53) instead, if better. Remember to account for Wealth if you have that trait and are not using a Patron for access to gear."

On page 53 in Champions, it says "modified by Wealth" in several places. Here's my question. If you are Filthy Rich, is the value of "I Got That!" equal to 100 x $2k x level of trait? Does each level of this Cosmic Modular Ability give you $200,000 in gear to choose from?
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
Question:

Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1 has the "I Got That!" power-up at 2/level on page 11, including this bit of text:

"total value is equal to ($2,000 ¥ level of this trait). For example, if you had I Got That! 5, you could get up to $10,000 in gear. Those with Patron can use their starting budget (Champions, p. 53) instead, if better. Remember to account for Wealth if you have that trait and are not using a Patron for access to gear."

On page 53 in Champions, it says "modified by Wealth" in several places. Here's my question. If you are Filthy Rich, is the value of "I Got That!" equal to 100 x $2k x level of trait? Does each level of this Cosmic Modular Ability give you $200,000 in gear to choose from?
Yes. You could change it, but it's using a modified Trading Points for Money where Wealth is taken into account instead of it being just the average money for the campaign.

Become a Patron!
Old 04-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #29
JulianLW

Thank you!
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #30
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
Thank you!
No worries. The fact that you can take into account using your Wealth is balanced by the fact that you can't keep it without paying for it losing points in your ability. It was pretty heavily playtested in my campaigns before I ever put it in the book.

Become a Patron!