Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
GodBeastX

Default Dual Weapon Attack - Need Official Ruling

Does Weapon Master halve the penalty to dual weapon attack? It doesn't explicitly say it, but Dual Weapon attack seems to be a rapid strike. I thought perhaps this was an oversight in writing that it wasn't explicitly mentioned.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
Yssa

Default Re: Dual Weapon Attack - Need Official Ruling

I would say no, it doesn't affect the Dual-Weapon Attack penalty. Although similar in some benefits, the Dual-Weapon Attack is explicitly separate from rapid strike (Exploits 36).
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Black Leviathan

As a house rule I'd allow it if your weapon mastery was for Dual Weapon fighting. It would be silly for a weapon master who was trained to fight with a weapon in each hand to be better at attacking with a single sword twice than performing a dual strike.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Harald387

Weapon Master does not halve the penalty for Dual Weapon Attack; it is not a rapid strike, it just can't be combined with one.

Weapon Masters can still benefit from Dual Weapon Attack: assuming they're ambidextrous or have a weapon skill that does not take off-hand penalties (Main-Gauche or Shield Bash, for instance), the penalty for a Rapid Strike (-3) combined with Deceptive Attack to give -1 to the foe's defense (another -2) is bigger than making a dual-weapon attack against a single foe (-4) that will give the enemy that same -1 to defense.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

As has been mentioned, no, Dual Weapon Attack is not eligible for the Rapid Strike reduction. And as Harold387 notes, there are good reasons.

However that said, if you want to and are the GM, it's your game. My preferred methods of dealing with this are to offer a 'new' advantage:

Dual-Weapon Attack (Weapon-Weapon) 5 points

Prerequisite: Any unarmed combat or one-handed† Weapon skill and Trained by a Master or Weapon Master.

If you attack with two weapons at once, you’re normally at -4 on each attack unless you All-Out Attack. This advantage buys off that penalty. To eliminate the extra -4 for the “off” hand, you’ll also need Ambidexterity. See Dual-Weapon Attacks (Exploits pg 36) for other important details.
You must learn Dual-Weapon Attack separately for each skill pairing. For instance, attacking with two axes requires two DWA (Axe/Mace-Axe/Mace), but attacking with an axe and a whip requires a DWA (Axe/Mace-Whip).

† This is also available for Crossbows (pistol crossbows) and for Bows‡. DWA (Bow) lets you shoot two arrows at once from a bow! Readying a second arrow requires an extra Ready or two Fast-Draw rolls.

‡ If your GM allows it.

... or to alter Weapon Master thusly:

Weapon Master (Dual Weapon [Weapons Group]) XX points

You still buy Weapon Master as normal, it still covers the same weapon skills and gives most of the same bonuses... however the Rapid Strike penalty reduction is removed and replaced with a Dual-Weapon Attack penalty reduction (one half) and it removes the penalty for using your Weapon Master weapons in your off-hand.

If they already have Weapon Master and just want to add Dual Weapon Mastery to it, I'd allow it for an additional 5 points if it's the 20 or 25 point level, 10 if it's 30 or 35, 15 if it's the full 45 point Weapon Mastery.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote