Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
wolf90

Default Re: Possible Neoprene Overlays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
If a funding campaign for neoprene overlays falls short, then the pdf could still be released and we can go get our own printed individually at a higher cost.
There is a downloadable PDF of terrain already available for your use.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #12
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
There is a downloadable PDF of terrain already available for your use.
There is, but that doesn't fit the bill at all for having standard hex overlays designed to specifically cover the not-fully-geomorphing spots on the mats that scenario designers could plug in and expect others to have available for use as well.

You had said in the past that a number of the mat configurations would need help. Just hoping that specific help might be coming someday.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #13
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
There is, but that doesn't fit the bill at all for having standard hex overlays designed to specifically cover the not-fully-geomorphing spots on the mats that scenario designers could plug in and expect others to have available for use as well.
That PDF covers terrain (gives you masses of swamps, forests, etc), but what are the specific things you want to fix (not having hexes drawn on those PDFs does make it less than optimal if you are looking for hex overlays)?
Are you looking for pre-made strips between specific maps, specific combinations, something else?

I think in order to get what you want, you need to clearly list all the combinations that you feel are necessary/missing. That's the only way to get your vision on the radar (ie, what, exactly, do you mean when you say "hex overlays designed to specifically cover the not-fully-geomorphing spots on the mats")? That phrase can mean a lot of things; what does it mean to _you_?
Old 08-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #14
Senturian

how about standardized (official) strips of map (extensions) that lie between each full map allowing geomorphic placement of any other.
but with 7 maps already created - good luck with that.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #15
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senturian View Post
how about standardized (official) strips of map (extensions) that lie between each full map allowing geomorphic placement of any other.
but with 7 maps already created - good luck with that.
Right, and that just gets exponentially worse with each new map
Old 08-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #16
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I think in order to get what you want, you need to clearly list all the combinations that you feel are necessary/missing. That's the only way to get your vision on the radar (ie, what, exactly, do you mean when you say "hex overlays designed to specifically cover the not-fully-geomorphing spots on the mats")? That phrase can mean a lot of things; what does it mean to _you_?
When I have time, it will be easy enough for me to take the big tiling layout image I made that shows all the possible edge connections of the current mats and just draw a red circle around the spots what need help.

The link to that original image is in the stickied geomorphing mats thread, and reposting here too for easier reference:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1148...7183474068770/
Old 08-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
Bowser

Quote:
Primarily I want the colours and textures of the material to go with each other.

Functionally, neoprene backed ones are completely non-skid sitting on top of fabric covered neoprene.

The cost difference between neoprene and cardboard overlays is not a factor for me when averaged out over the cost of a neoprene mat collection. We currently have 7 mats (and more to come). Current price is $30 apiece, the total set is $210 + various numbers of shipping costs added in. I have 2 full sets of the mats, somewhere around a $450 investment with shippings to date. I would buy neoprene overlays over using cardboard ones even if they were free.
I'll go on record as agreeing with Cat. I'm not in the same situation as she is in: She's more into miniatures and less into cardboard, but the desire for neoprene overlays remains the same. I must admit (somewhat sheepishly) that I have five sets of all of the mapsheets. I won't do the $$$-math in order not to depress myself. (I wanted to make really, REALLY BIG playing surfaces - I'm trying to design a system of plywood and sawhorse "tables" that allows for some inner channels for people to move in. Maybe I should talk to the model railroad people . . .)

One of those sets started out with the idea that I would cut them up for overlays -- and then I just got carried away. In any case, I've yet to get around to cutting anything yet.

While I will not commit (at this time) to five "overlay mats", I would actually commit, with payment, to at least two, sight unseen, were it to be offered on Indigogo right now. I don't know if I am at all representable of the Ogre crowd, but maybe my input might just sway any decisions my way. Can't hurt.

Of course, the question of what to actually put on such a sheet is the real question, isn't it?

Bowser
Old 08-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #18
Bowser

Here's a thought especially for those players that are completely into the cardboard game and have not bought any of the neoprene mapsheets up to this point:

Have you ever considered that a bunch of overlays done on neoprene wouldn't slip or slide around on those beautiful cardboard maps?

So, even if you are not into the neoprene mapsheets themselves, maybe you might be interested in one copy of a neoprene mapsheet that is completely various overlays . . .

Bowser
Old 08-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #19
sparky00

I have neoprene maps M1 thru M5. Haven't gotten M6 & M7 yet, but plan to.

Haven't had much time to play in recent months, so I haven't really used the mats much, but look forward to getting them in play when time permits.

I also have ODE X2, O6E, Reinforcements, Battlefields and at least 2 copies of each sponsored counter sheet, so I have a good number of cardboard overlays.

From what I gather, whats being discussed is a potential 24" X 24" neoprene mat of various terrain features/map mods. The intent appears to be to print and sell the mat, then the customer would cut out the individual hexes to make overlays. Is that correct?

I've never worked much with rubber-backed neoprene. How is it to cut? Does it cut cleanly with sharp scissors, or does it require a different tool/technique? Do you get nice clean edges & corners, or does it curl & frey?

A 24" X24" mat has a lot of hexes, and that's a lot of cuts. If the mat can be cut fairly easily, with decent results, then I'd be interested in one. Probably not more than one, though. Unless it had some killer terrain feature not available anywhere else.

Last edited by sparky00; 08-11-2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Pathetic punctuation
Old 08-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #20
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
A 24" X24" mat has a lot of hexes, and that's a lot of cuts. If the mat can be cut fairly easily, with decent results, then I'd be interested in one. Probably not more than one, though. Unless it had some killer terrain feature not available anywhere else.
I'm in the same boat. I'm not interested in something I have to cut myself, because I'll just end up hacking it up. I don't see a reasonable way to print something like this and expect pre-cut pieces. If you _did_ manage to create something that's pre-cut, that would be intriguing.
Closed Thread