Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 12-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
Ezra

Default Starship Combat: Interstellar Wars vs GURPS Spaceships

I'm working on a Traveller campaign for some friends, and I'm hoping someone can advise me as to which space combat system to use. I've skimmed both systems, and I get the feeling that the GURPS Spaceships approach is more abstract. However, I've also read that some people don't like the Interstellar Wars system. I've never played GURPS 3rd ed., so I don't want to have to explore all that entails just for my space combat mechanic.

I also noticed that the Interstellar Wars spaceship stats are a little different from GURPS Spaceships.
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Starship Combat: Interstellar Wars vs GURPS Spaceships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

I also noticed that the Interstellar Wars spaceship stats are a little different from GURPS Spaceships.
Yes, the stats are different and the two systems are not compatible. The system in Spaceships 1 is completely abstract. You can get Spaceships 3 for mapped combat and this might be my preference.

The IW system is like some earlier (and mostly non SJG)versions of Traveller. That might appeal to some of the older fans. If you don't have a particularly deep well of experience with those earlier versions of Trav the greater simplicity of Spaceships might be attractive.

You'll find me listed in Spaceships as a playtester so I do have some experience with it. It is a _very_ simple system and I can do rough designs by counting slots on my fingers and then looking up exact stats after I've decided which systems I want to go in. That makes it simpler than any other system I've ever tried.

With IW there are a significant number of ships included in the book but some of them are problematic for old hands. What they call a Beowulf Free Trader in IW would be an Empress Marada Far Trader in any other version of Traveller. The combat balance of others is dubious IMHO, Many of the vilani designs appear so well armored that the Terrans would never win any fights until they developed meson guns.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
Ezra

Default Re: Starship Combat: Interstellar Wars vs GURPS Spaceships

OK, that settles it. I already own Spaceships and Spaceships 3. Thank you for the information, Fred. That will save me some prep time!
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interstellar wars, spaceships