Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
FOXDIE_

Default Extra Arms and Modifiers

I've searched this forum and elsewhere for a conclusive answer for this, but I found nothing. I apologize if an answer exists somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Let's say I bought Extra Arms 2 (Extra-Flexible +50%) [30].

Would this mean that I have:
  • 2 arms that are Extra-Flexible, and 2 that aren't (my starting arms). If I wanted to have four extra flexible arms, I would need to buy Extra-Flexible (Original Two Arms) for another 10 points, 5 for each arm. This is the answer suggested by the write-up of Octupus-folk in GURPS Banestorm
  • 4 arms that are extra-flexible. This is the answer suggested by at least once source, a pyramid article. If this is indeed the correct answer, how would I return my original two arms to not being extra-flexible, should I want?

This may seem like a kind of an inane question, but even in my small example above it's a not-inconsiderable difference of 10 points, and that will only increase as you stack on enhancements, so it would be nice to know for sure how I'm supposed to handle this.
FOXDIE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Extra Arms and Modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXDIE_ View Post
I've searched this forum and elsewhere for a conclusive answer for this, but I found nothing. I apologize if an answer exists somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Let's say I bought Extra Arms 2 (Extra-Flexible +50%) [30].

Would this mean that I have:
  • 2 arms that are Extra-Flexible, and 2 that aren't (my starting arms). If I wanted to have four extra flexible arms, I would need to buy Extra-Flexible (Original Two Arms) for another 10 points, 5 for each arm. This is the answer suggested by the write-up of Octupus-folk in GURPS Banestorm
  • 4 arms that are extra-flexible. This is the answer suggested by at least once source, a pyramid article. If this is indeed the correct answer, how would I return my original two arms to not being extra-flexible, should I want?

This may seem like a kind of an inane question, but even in my small example above it's a not-inconsiderable difference of 10 points, and that will only increase as you stack on enhancements, so it would be nice to know for sure how I'm supposed to handle this.
The first one. If your original arms are to be flexible, you have to enhance them, as indicated by the Extra Arms advantage under modifying existing limbs.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
FOXDIE_

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
The first one. If your original arms are to be flexible, you have to enhance them, as indicated by the Extra Arms advantage under modifying existing limbs.
This is honestly far and away my first assumption, but the language was vague enough that it made me pause. "Modifying existing limbs" is actually "Modifying Beings with One or Two Arms" in the base set, which seems to imply that those rules shouldn't be used for beings with more than two. It's confusing to say the least, and that's only expounded by the fact that some published sources contradict one another.
FOXDIE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Inconsistencies do tend to crop up... but that's to be expected with how long 4th edition has been in use.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
extra arms, extra arms enhancement, extra arms limitation, extra arms modifiers