Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
Nautilust

Default [Monster Hunter] I Need Help With Character Generation!

Hello, I just joined my first Gurps game and I have 5 days to make a character. I'm a little overwhelmed and I was hoping I could get some help creating him.

I have 200 points and 50 points of disadvantages to work with. We are playing Monster Hunters, using the Sidekicks book we are playing Junior Hunters.

My character idea: Rogue Witches killed his family when he was a kid (I know it's cliche), he was orphaned and went around the system for several years. He learned as much about Magic and Psychology as possible learning ways to hunt down and kill the Witches that killed his family. At the age of 18 he went off to college, did poorly, and dropped out. He then joined the Army, he fought in Operation Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. He retired from the Army as a Sergeant. Thinking he finally had the training and knowledge to kill those who killed his family he successfully hunted down the Coven that ruined his life. However he was unprepared and almost died. Luckily, he could call an old war buddy who lived close and was extracted. Not too long after this incident a mysterious organization called The Knights of St. George reached their hands out to him and his friend. They offered training and knowledge in return for the death of those who wronged him. They accepted, and 2 years of training later he's ready to go on his first mission!

Should be able to use Imbuements, this was part of his training. Should be able to wield and attack with two Desert Eagles at the same time (This is a cinematic campaign I know that would be very hard IRL.) Should be able to attack with two trench knifes at the same time aswell. (I believe there are techniques for both pistols and knifes to do this). Needs Psychology, Occultism and Thaumatology, along with the skills of a well-trained soldier. Perhaps Courtesy Rank. I'd like to have Gunslinger and/or Combat Reflexes but may have to wait to buy those.

Last edited by Nautilust; 09-18-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Nautilust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Monster Hunter] I Need Help With Character Generation!

Ok, first question - have you looked at the templates available? This is pretty much what they're for: reducing the complexity of GURPS character generation down to a few choices.

Most of your character creation goals are doable with the templates in Monster Hunters: Sidekicks, but you may have to make a couple of sacrifices, or at least choose some things to be more secondary. In particular, imbuements aren't standard in any of the templates, so you'll have to make room for those (since, bare minimum, they'll cost 10 points for Imbue 1 plus any Imbuement skills you actually buy).

For the more mundane skills, I'd cast an eye on the Gunman template in Sidekicks. It covers the pistol and knife skill as part of its primary skills, it has Occultism as a default secondary skill, and if you pick Rogue Witches as your Know Your Enemy skills, that will give you the Psychology and Thaumatology.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #3
Nautilust

I've looked at the Gunman Template and the Gifted Template in particular. I've played one session with a Gunman pre-made and it wasn't too bad.

I tried making a character using the Gunman Template and Avenger Lense and i felt like either my skills too focused or too spread out. Plus ST was too low, and i had a few other problems. Like I'd like to have Gunslinger, and or Combat Reflexes but didn't have enough points after adding Imbue 3(With the Magical Modifier).

Last edited by Nautilust; 09-18-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilust View Post
I tried making a character using the Gunman Template and Avenger Lense and i felt like either my skills too focused or too spread out. Plus ST was too low, and i had a few other problems. Like I'd like to have Gunslinger, and or Combat Reflexes but didn't have enough points after adding Imbue 3(With the Magical Modifier).
Yeah, I'm afraid you might be getting over-ambitious here. On a 250-point budget, being really good at mundane guns and knives and raw ST and Imbuements is pretty tricky. Could you stand to just go for Imbue 2 imbuements for right now? That might actually be doable. Also, for Gunslinger, do you want to be that good with all guns (including things like flamethrowers, water guns, and exotic laser guns)? Or would narrowing it down work for you, something like "pistols and rifles only"? Because, if so, you might want to ask your GM if they'll allow some limitations from GURPS Gun-Fu that do just that.

One other thing to note is that all the Sidekicks templates are built with the assumption that you'll only take -35 points of disadvantages, not the -50 you said you had. So if you take those, you've got an extra 15 points to spend too.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #5
Nautilust

I guess I could go with Imbue 2 imbuements for right now, but i really liked the idea of firing elemental bullets.

As far as Gunslinger goes I need to be able to pick-up pistols, rifles, shotguns and SMG's and use it. I don't need flamethrowers or anything. My GM will allow just about anything as long as it's RAW legal.

I'm counting -35 points for the Template and -15 points for the Lense.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
I guess I could go with Imbue 2 imbuements for right now, but i really liked the idea of firing elemental bullets.
Well, you may be able to buy that up later. It would require saving a while, it's true, but it's something to think about.

Also, at least a few of the elemental imbuements don't require Imbue 3. Burning Strike, for instance, is Imbue 2, and Toxic Strike (which can be interpreted as "poison chi" in a setting where Chinese elements are in play and Wood is an element) is only Imbue 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilust
As far as Gunslinger goes I need to be able to pick-up pistols, rifles, shotguns and SMG's and use it. I don't need flamethrowers or anything.
Well, Gun-Fu suggests that limiting Gunslinger to "weapons that use Guns skill only" (that is, not Liquid Projector, Beam Weapons, or Gunner) would be a -20% limitation. So that saves you 5 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilust
Apologies, you're right, I had forgotten the templates were presented that way.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
corwyn

Quote:

As far as Gunslinger goes I need to be able to pick-up pistols, rifles, shotguns and SMG's and use it. I don't need flamethrowers or anything. My GM will allow just about anything as long as it's RAW legal.
Then you want to take guns skill only (-20%) on Gunslinger; that will save you a few points. As for the imbuements, yeah, sometimes you need to make some sacrifices and grow into your concept.

Quote:
That's correct.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:45 AM   #8
Nautilust

I'm still falling a little short on skills. Are there any other modifiers I could add to my abilities.

Last edited by Nautilust; 09-19-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:14 AM   #9
corwyn

It might help if you posted the character as it stands now.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:07 AM   #10
Nautilust

Here You Go!

Name: Nautilust
Race: Human

Attributes [136]
ST 12 [20]
DX 14 [80]
IQ 10
HT 12 [20]

HP 15 [6]
Will 10
Per 10
FP 12