Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Wisdom spell and IQ rolls for powers

A simple question, does the wisdom spell (Magic p.135) affects the IQ roll for powers such as Healing (Basic p.59), Intuition (Basic p.63) and Jumper (Basic p.64).

If a powerfull caster increases the IQ of his bud with the wisdom spell, does the IQ increase counts for the IQ rolls related to the healing advantage?
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Wisdom spell and IQ rolls for powers

Judgement call, generally the restriction on Magic aiding magic is to prevent feedback loops of escalating power. If the powers are based on magic maybe not, otherwise probably yes.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

If it is magical in nature then sure it makes sense for it not to be affected, but lets say it is a divine power, what then ?

Is there some official clarification on this ?

Last edited by D10; 09-21-2018 at 10:21 PM.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
If it is magical in nature then sure it makes sense for it not to be affected, but lets say it is a divine power, what then ?
I would let it increase the IQ for effects of the power in that case.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:04 AM   #5
Andreas

The wisdom spell only says that it doesn't make you better at casting spells. A magical version of the Healing advantage isn't necessarily a spell, so even with such a limitation, wisdom can very well improve your ability with the advantage.

There also isn't, as far as I am aware, a general rule against magic making you better at casting spells. A luck elixir and the Bless spell can both make you better at casting non-ceremonial spells.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:45 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
There also isn't, as far as I am aware, a general rule against magic making you better at casting spells.
There's one in RPM ("Stacking Spells" box, p15). But I'm also unaware of any general rule in GURPS Magic or Powers -- though the examples of Wisdom and RPM suggest that any GM ought to think carefully about allowing that sort of circular feedback. Both those restrictions appeared for a reason.

If the game mixes types of powers ("divine" or "natural" or "magic" or "primal magic" or whatever), then the GM has to define how they interact. It may be that the gods are unimpressed with mortal magic, so Wisdom won't help your divinely-channeled ability built on healing. Maybe it even offends them that you tried to tamper with the relationship between priest and god, and so you get a penalty instead. (Is it worth it to make some other non-divinely-magical skill rolls? A choice!) Or maybe it does help, as suddenly some of those theological points finally make sense and you have some new insight into your god's motivations and behavior.

If the setting doesn't feature multiple types of magic, but does implement "magic" with different mechanics, then I'd go for a general rule that prohibits (or allows, if that's what you want) that sort of buffing for all of them together, regardless of the mechanical build. The rules should reflect and support the desired setting behavior.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
The wisdom spell only says that it doesn't make you better at casting spells. A magical version of the Healing advantage isn't necessarily a spell, so even with such a limitation, wisdom can very well improve your ability with the advantage.

There also isn't, as far as I am aware, a general rule against magic making you better at casting spells. A luck elixir and the Bless spell can both make you better at casting non-ceremonial spells.
Wisdom can't give the _caster_ a higher IQ in any way. You can't make yourself smarter and you can only increase others up to your own IQ.

The Alchemical potion from Magic (also Wisdom) can make you smarter but does not benefit Spells, only Skills. Base IQ rolls would be ok i think but these spells and potions predate Powers by a _lot_ and general updating should not be assumed.

Heck, Basic 4e predates Powers and does not always cover things that ween't invented until Powers.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Judgement call, generally the restriction on Magic aiding magic is to prevent feedback loops of escalating power. If the powers are based on magic maybe not, otherwise probably yes.
I don't see how there could be a feedback loop when the bonus is capped at 5. The "IQ cannot become higher than the caster's" already prevents casting it on yourself or making an ally smarter than you and able to benefit you. If an IQ 15 mage boosted an IQ 10 mage to 15, they couldn't return the favor.

Affliction (Advantage, Margin-Based, +1 to IQ; +60%; Malediction +100% Cumulative +400%; Permanent +300%) [96] used on self would create a looping problem though.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I don't see how there could be a feedback loop when the bonus is capped at 5. The "IQ cannot become higher than the caster's" already prevents casting it on yourself.
I don't believe that limitation was in the original version.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I don't believe that limitation was in the original version.
This is not supported by my review of my copy of Magic 1e, 1st printing from 1989. Its clear that Wisdom benefits Skills but _not_ Spells and that the subjects IQ can not be raised higher than the caster's.

I'd have had to dig farther down for my copy of Fantasy 1e and I'm not sure that Wisdom even goes that far back.

Tags
gurps fantasy, wisdom