Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
Ophymirage

Default Spell Jammer

I'm new to GURPS and I would like to do something with the same basic Spelljammer/Star Ocean sci-fi/fantasy thing. Does it already have a setting like this?Are there any books in particular that might be helpful or can I do them with the basic set, I'm planning on using 4th edition if thats helpful.
Ophymirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Spell Jammer

GURPS Spaceships 7: Divergent and Paranormal Tech basically has Spelljammers with the serial numbers filed off.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Ophymirage

lol right on, im leaning towards star ocean with the interplanetary travel more of a backdrop then a central theme so the ships themselves arent too too importantyet, I don't think . but will aliens and force swords clash with magic and dragons too much rules-wise?

Last edited by Ophymirage; 05-21-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Ophymirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophymirage View Post
lol right on, I'm leaning towards star ocean with the interplanetary travel more of a backdrop then a central theme so the ships themselves aren't too too important yet, I don't think. but will aliens and force swords clash with magic and dragons too much rules-wise?
They won't clash at all. They use the same system after all. :grins:
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
lol right on, im leaning towards star ocean with the interplanetary travel more of a backdrop then a central theme so the ships themselves arent too too importantyet, I don't think . but will aliens and force swords clash with magic and dragons too much rules-wise?
GURPS can handle that but it is a lot to take in for a new GM as you learn the system. Make it part of your setting but try to break what you have to play and run until you get used to things then add more later.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
dbm

I agree that GURPS can absolutely handle a mixture between sci-fi and fantasy. The challenge is making all the different parts still relevant.

I seem to recall that dragon breath (in the 3e Bestiary) did a maximum of 3d6 damage, where as an Ultra-Tech weapon is likely to do upwards of 7d6 and there are (sealed) armours available which also operate at similarly high levels. This means that things which should be dangerous, like dragons, become inconsequential if you're not careful.

My instant tip on how to make this work together is to use gadget rules for all equipment, and probably 'magic as powers' too, to keep them on a level playing fields. This does increase the workload on the GM, unfortunately, to stat up weapons and equipment for the game which the PCs may wish to use.

Hopefully someone will come along with a simpler solution to the challenge.

Last edited by dbm; 05-21-2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: For clarity
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
Astromancer

One thing to remember is that with higher tech the monsters either get a boss or alot sneakier. Or dead.

Get yourself a good Blofeld.

Rewatch old Doctor Who episodes. Take dragons, shapeshifting dragons could take notes from the Rutans and the Zygons. Sneak around in disguise until you can catch the heros by surprise.

Similarly, the dragon as rightful lord or living god, gives a monster some troops and legal protections.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 05-21-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I'm new to GURPS and I would like to do something with the same basic Spelljammer/Star Ocean sci-fi/fantasy thing. Does it already have a setting like this?Are there any books in particular that might be helpful or can I do them with the basic set, I'm planning on using 4th edition if thats helpful.
Well, you might be interested in an unofficial worked example - Celestial Ocean, but it lacks detailed sky-ship write-ups - you need SS7 to make those for yourself, if they matter. It's also rather sandboxy and lacks specific kingdom write-ups. But it does have the 'aliens are alien' sort of fantasy races.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Frost

Quote:
If you can find it I seem to recall there being an alternate history with elements of this in one of the Infinite Worlds themed Pyramid editions [Edit] Roma Universalis in Pyramid 3/20. Other than the writeup for spelljammer tech in spaceships 7 I think that this is probably the nearest you are going to get to an official treatment although from the way you are talking this probably isn't too much of a problem for you.

There is no particular reason why you can't make a good go of things with just the Basic Set but if you don't mind shelling out more Fantasy, Space and Low Tech may also give you a bit more depth although none of them deals specificaly with the subject.

Last edited by Frost; 05-23-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
I would tone down the basic damage of force swords, but other than that, not a serious problem.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space ships, spelljammer