Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Rearden

Default Vampire Weaknesses

The Banestorm vampire template states that it's Unkillable 2 advantage has the modifier Achilles' Heel: Fire and Wood. The Fantasy vampire template's unkillable 2 advantage has the modifier vulnerability: wood.

My question: What exactly is the difference between the Achilles' Heel and Vulnerability modifiers, and how much damage will fire and wood do to vampires? Also, does this mean that normal weapons (Steel, iron, etc.) don't affect vampires, or do they just do normal damage compared to fire and wood?

As of now I'm planning on every other type of weapon doing regular damage and fire and wood doing 2x damage.
Rearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Desthro

Default Re: Vampire Weaknesses

The difference lies in the wording of the limitations.

An Achillies Heel is something that can override the effect of the advantage, in this case, Unkillable will not keep the target from dying permanently if they are slain from wood or fire, (in this specific case.)

Vulnerability means the target's advantage doesn't work while the offending vulnerability is in place. So for Vulnerability: wood, if you are staked and it kills you, you don't come back to life while the stake sticks in your chest.
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearden View Post
The Banestorm vampire template states that it's Unkillable 2 advantage has the modifier Achilles' Heel: Fire and Wood. The Fantasy vampire template's unkillable 2 advantage has the modifier vulnerability: wood.

My question: What exactly is the difference between the Achilles' Heel and Vulnerability modifiers, and how much damage will fire and wood do to vampires? Also, does this mean that normal weapons (Steel, iron, etc.) don't affect vampires, or do they just do normal damage compared to fire and wood?

As of now I'm planning on every other type of weapon doing regular damage and fire and wood doing 2x damage.
By the looks of it, a typo. There is no modifier for Unkillable called Vulnerability, and the cost is wrong for Vulnerability as a Temporary Disadvantage. So its just someone getting the name for the Achielle's Heel modifier wrong.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Desthro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
By the looks of it, a typo. There is no modifier for Unkillable called Vulnerability, and the cost is wrong for Vulnerability as a Temporary Disadvantage. So its just someone getting the name for the Achielle's Heel modifier wrong.
This is right, but I do believe vulnerabilities temporarily override the advantage as long as the substance is present correct?

And was I off about the achillies heel? (no book at hand haha)
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desthro View Post
This is right, but I do believe vulnerabilities temporarily override the advantage as long as the substance is present correct?

And was I off about the achillies heel? (no book at hand haha)
It should be the Hindrance limitation for that I believe.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
aesir23

Yep, Achilles Heel means it can kill you, Hindrance means that you stay dead until someone removes it.

So, for example Vampire the Masquarade Vampires had Unkillable with Achilles Heel (Fire, Sunlight, and the natural weapons of supernatural beings), and Hindrance (Stake through the heart.)

I usually use Hindrance for the stake through the heart bit because it metaphorically pins the vampire in his grave in the old myths.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Rearden

Can anybody answer my question about any damage modifiers for Fire or Wood?
Rearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:

Fire and wood do the exact same damage to those vampires (in terms of hit points) as anything else. It's just that if their unkillable has that -50% modifier, then they can actually be killed permanently that way.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
aesir23

Quote:
Can anybody answer my question about any damage modifiers for Fire or Wood?
Unkillable has no effect on how much damage you take, you just can't die from it.

There is no damage modifier from Achilles Heel. If you want there to be a damage modifier, give your vampires the Vulnerability Disadvantage in addition to Achilles Heel.

Fragile (Flammable) also fits some fictional undead.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
LemmingLord

See, and here I thought you were going to ask for "little known" or "all new" vampire weaknesses..

Like Weakness: Kind Words.

Tags
banestorm, fantasy, vampires