Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
William

Default Re: Keep On The Banestorm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
I suppose what it really comes down to is the question of how powerful the power of a deity is. Can cosmic power transcend worlds?
The default GURPS answer to this is "varies by god, usually not." Serious, world-spanning gods are rare and Infinity Corp. tends to leave them well alone.

In Yrth, power that results from someone's faith usually manifests as distinct powers written up as Advantages, carrying the Pact limitation requiring Disciplines of Faith for their religion. D&D-like powers would typically also require a holy symbol. If a player chooses to write up a cleric, he'll have a list of divine abilities. You will have to rewrite his power list in GURPS terms. Sanctity can be irrelevant if you simply don't give the powers the "Divine, -10%" modifier, or treat Yrth as normal-sanctity throughout, or as non-sanctified but giving the cleric two "free" levels of Sanctity Enhancer for his personal space. (Parting gift from his god -- he is the first Messenger of his religion to Yrth, after all!) Of course, if his religion is already known there -- if he worships the Greek gods, for instance, or is willing to accept the Eternal as a manifestation of whatever concept he is devoted to -- then simply switch allegiances and call him good to go.

Do you own GURPS Banestorm? A lot of your questions are answered there, like how different countries treat nonhumans, what sort of power religion has, and what religions are known there.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
The thing is that sanctity level as a concept is alien to DND.
Nope. While I'm not current with D&D, when I was, going into a Spelljammer sphere or a Ravenloft domain where their god didn't have a presence could really mess up a cleric. Either they wouldn't be able to recharge, or they'd find themselves tapping into a different god, sometimes with a different alignment who would pretty quickly cut them off.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
I suppose what it really comes down to is the question of how powerful the power of a deity is. Can cosmic power transcend worlds?
To a limited extent, yes. After all, every place is low sanctity unless the power has a following there, or a diametrically opposed power controls it and fills it with their sanctity.

Quote:

I think my best bet may be to simply warn the players that what I have in mind for the path the campaign story will take might make playing a divine character or a tiefling somewhat more difficult than other options. Though I'm sure this will lead to someone at least considering playing something like a tiefling cleric.
Like I said, the best cleric option is to warn them ahead of time that the dungeon is a enemy temple so they should design their character with a Sanctity Booster relic. The Tiefling should just be built with a Stigma built into the template.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Palmer

Quote:
One idea I have for how to handle divine power is by saying the belief and piousness of such a character might allow for their god's divine spark to exist in this new world (Banestorm.)
For 4th Edition, this is actually NOT an issue.

Read the section on Clerics and Deities (p61-62). It explicitly points out that the ordination will imbue the cleric with divine powers, but beyond that, the deity plays ZERO role.
"What you do with your powers once you are ordained is up to you, although if you flagrantly and openly defy your deity’s tenets, you quickly earn the enmity of the faithful."

This makes it fairly clear that a connection, access to or other action of a deity is not necessary for divine powers.

Paladins work the same way. "Once initiated, the paladin is a paladin forevermore. How justly, honorably, or compassionately the paladin wields those powers from that day forward is up to him"

I don't see that moving to a different world would affect these at all. The divine character has been imbued with the power personally, it's not an external force.
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Power Investiture isn't much known on Yrth; "divine" abilities are generally statted as advantages that arise from mysticism (see p. 26 of Banestorm; basically, powers rather than spells, with the Pact limitation and Disciplines of Faith for his tradition). Talk to your spellslinger about how much of a change in his spellcasting system he'd be okay with. Writing up abilities that can be used a few times a day will match his current spellcasting fairly well.

:^)
D&D 4th edition characters have abilities that can work once every six seconds, including spells for spell caster types. A typical cleric has two attack powers usable on a per round basis, both of which provide bonuses to one other member of the group. The basic healing spell is a special 'Encounter Power', normally usable once in a five minute period, this one can be used twice. It's RANGED.

Building these into powers is what I call extremely out of budget range.

My suggestio: Use DF's cleric build and change the clerical spell list to include D&D type spells. Model after existing similar GURPS spells for FP costs, if not applicable, 1 FP per 2 levels of the spell seems good.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, ideas to share