Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default Technomancer + Banestorm

Just something I've been thinking about.. What if the 1945 Hellstorm was combined with a Banestorm, and ended up bringing Elves, Dwarves, Goblins and all the like to Earth at the same time it brought Magic back? How would the addition of immigrant alien races alter Merlin-1's History? Would they build their own enclaves, or try to integrate with Earth civilizations?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Jasonft

Default Re: Technomancer + Banestorm

Certainly possible, but recall that the largest 'Storm is over Antarctica. Small chunks might appear here and there (most likely closer to the Trinity site) but the really big chunks and manifestations would show up down south.

The penguins would not be happy. Losing chunks of the collective only to gain rowdy neighbors who most likely freeze to death in a day or two. Shortly to be followed by biped treasure hunters.

The upside being that the penguin collective gets first crack at the loot and the new arrivals - which probably includes people and records from places that have had magic for centuries.

First storm in America was small. If the Banestorm aspect was likewise small it might have been thought mutation or just general magic weirdness especially if it tapered off after a little while. The human race on that planet might only understand the Banestorm aspect after the Antarctic event triggers it on a much larger scale.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
LoneWolf23k

Well, I wasn't necessarily thinking the Banestorm immigrants would drop out of the Hellstorm events, but would appear all over the world.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Just something I've been thinking about.. What if the 1945 Hellstorm was combined with a Banestorm, and ended up bringing Elves, Dwarves, Goblins and all the like to Earth at the same time it brought Magic back? How would the addition of immigrant alien races alter Merlin-1's History? Would they build their own enclaves, or try to integrate with Earth civilizations?
Shadowrun without Cyberpunk...
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
Certainly possible, but recall that the largest 'Storm is over Antarctica. Small chunks might appear here and there (most likely closer to the Trinity site) but the really big chunks and manifestations would show up down south.

The penguins would not be happy. Losing chunks of the collective only to gain rowdy neighbors who most likely freeze to death in a day or two. Shortly to be followed by biped treasure hunters.

The upside being that the penguin collective gets first crack at the loot and the new arrivals - which probably includes people and records from places that have had magic for centuries.

First storm in America was small. If the Banestorm aspect was likewise small it might have been thought mutation or just general magic weirdness especially if it tapered off after a little while. The human race on that planet might only understand the Banestorm aspect after the Antarctic event triggers it on a much larger scale.
Banestorms and Geography don't seem to correlate well That the major storm on merlin is over Antartica doesn't mean people in Araterre (sort of equatorish) won't appear in Newfoundland.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Shadowrun without Cyberpunk...
With the exception that the Banestorm immigrants will be bringing their own culture...
Old 01-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Banestorms and Geography don't seem to correlate well That the major storm on merlin is over Antartica doesn't mean people in Araterre (sort of equatorish) won't appear in Newfoundland.
My theory is that the portals open up when the mana ripples from the original explosion bouncing all over the planet run into each other
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
LoneWolf23k

I think I remember there was a Suppressed Transmission article with a related idea.. *check his Archive collection* Ah yes, here we go.. "Magic Comet Ride", a GURPS Technomancer-Steampunk-Cliffhangers crossover set in the wake of Halley's Comet passing in 1910, which brings Magic back to Earth, and soon after the mystic races start popping out of the woodwork.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
Jasonft

Hmmm... Some points there. I was assuming the Banestorm aspects would be more or less centered around the Hellstorms. Aren't the Hellstorms basically stationary Banestorms of a sort as it is?

Besides, I like the penguins. The idea of a penguin mass mind defending Antarctica against all comers using scraps of technology and magic gleaned from dozens of different world fragments appeals to me.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
Darekun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
With the exception that the Banestorm immigrants will be bringing their own culture...
Eh, a lot of that happened in Shadowrun, too, with Ehran and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
Besides, I like the penguins. The idea of a penguin mass mind defending Antarctica against all comers using scraps of technology and magic gleaned from dozens of different world fragments appeals to me.
Well, you can have your cake and eat it, too - banestorms may preferentially, but not exclusively, brew up inside a hellstorm(or just a large-enough hellstorm). The rest of the time, they may be as far from the hellstorm that brought them as a hurricane is from the idiomatic butterfly that caused it.

So a few groups of refugees show up wherever it's dramatically appropriate, but the Penguin Antarctic Communist Collective have the lion's share of SchizoTech.
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, technomancer