Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #11
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: Hermetic Qlippoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I sometimes imagine them on par with Umbrella corp. They're a doomsday cult pretending to be a legitimate business.
Or they could just stand in for the typical Hollywood trope of the generic hate of capitalism, or as an industrial dystopia.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...apitalismIsBad
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

I get that, but they're so over the top self destructively stupid as to only barely work in cartoon. Once you go live action or RPG, it falls flat as necessitating a more plausible reason, in my view at least.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I get that, but they're so over the top self destructively stupid as to only barely work in cartoon. Once you go live action or RPG, it falls flat as necessitating a more plausible reason, in my view at least.
I think the orders Ash has in the first film aren't out of line with similar things in real life, like the chain of bad policy decisions that lead to the Deepwater Horizon distaster. The swiss cheese model seems to be applicable here. The fact that Ash carries them out where a human might exercise judgment is maybe a cliché but still is a reasonable risk for artificial intelligence, especially ones that mimic humans.

Burke's decisions in the second film seem like a combination between personal ambition, extreme optimism, the sunk costs fallacy, and being a high functioning cheerfully glib corporate sociopath. Which definitely happens in real life too. At least Bishop does appear able to do more cognitively sophisticated than overly literal execution of directives) probably because he is a United States (Colonial) Marine, oohrah - trained to act as a "strategic corporal", also to believe and obey the UCMJ's strong negation of the Nuremberg defense).

I actually have never seen the next two, so no idea how much W-Y figures in.

Weyland in the prequels is using his corporation's resources to support his personal cult of personal immortality (and David very literally fetishizes death) so your assessment is pretty accurate there, but also they are probably less coherent films anyway, IMO.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-09-2018 at 07:04 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I actually have never seen the next two, so no idea how much W-Y figures in.
W-Y get progressively worse in the next two films.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
W-Y get progressively worse in the next two films.
I also realized that I ignored AVP, probably because it is dumb. Weyland (senior?) is probably motivated by a desire to take any part he was offered since Millennium was canceled. :)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #16
AlexanderHowl

The Qlippoth supposedly formed from the shells of the first Creation and are inhabited by demons (meaning that the Kabbalistic interpretation is quite different than the interpretation of GURPS: Cabal). The Qlippoth are also a fundamental part of Creation, as they protect the holiness of the Sephiroth by a shell of comprised of the unholiness of the Qlippoth. The demons exists outside and separate from the holiness of the Sephiroth, eternally witnessing the holiness of the Sephiroth but banned from entering the Sephiroth by the will of the divine.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote