Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
N.H.Alicia

Default Hermetic Qlippoth

In Kabbalistic and Hermetic tradition, the Qlippoth/Kelipot are evil/impure Sephirot, forming the "Tree of Death".

Has anyone used them in GURPS? I saw mention of "qlippothic cults" in RPM, but that had little to do with the original Qlippoth. Given the Path they were centred around, they seemed more Lovecraftian. (On a tangent, Wikipedia says that Daath is a Sephirot.)

I'm toying with the idea of a Qlippoth-based magical style. It would revolve around "corrupting" spells in various ways.
N.H.Alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Hermetic Qlippoth

GURPS Cabal has material on Qlippoth, which is likely the source of the ideas in RPM. The reaction of Cabalists to the practice of Qlippothic magic is likely to be extremely unfriendly.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

It's not at all that they're pure evil. The Cabal is comprised mostly of the evil controlling and making deals with evil.
It's that qlippoth are antithetical to existence itself corrupting and consuming any and all regardless of strength of will or purpose.

Sadistic demonologists would nuke a qlippothic wizard from orbit just to be sure.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Sadistic demonologists would nuke a qlippothic wizard from orbit just to be sure.
That statement helped me realise the qlippoths are essentially spirit-xenomorphs, which helps to establish why the Cabal are so hostile to them, because Cabalists have more sense than Weyland-Yutani.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

In my campaign Desolation Road the qlippothic universe predated the sepriothic universe. Relics of that universe were all over the campaign, in the mysterious tunnels dug by the cthonian (called "tunnelers" by the archeologists who discovered their ruins) empire that once existed all over our galaxy (and like the human empire that followed in the sepriothic era linked worlds by evocation of their planetary spirits: angels in sepriothic universe but these were the reflections of their demonic selves in the qlippothic), the Shan who had fled the end by telepathically projecting into the Insects of Shaggai, and the former engineered slave races of the tunnelers.

The PC's were unknowingly working for Samael (the devil more or less) who had recruited them into a conspiracy to restore the interstellar connections through Yesod that had been severed when the Imperium Ratio collapsed. The reason the gates were closed was because in the fall of the qlippothic universe the Tunnelers had sent key members of their government, religion, and military into the hyperspace of Gamaliel, and were about to break through back into the sepriothic universe (although nobody in the PC's civilization knew this; the fall of the Imperium was a mystery).

Having written this like this, it seems a bit incoherent, but in the campaign it held together very well, there were a lot of supportimg details that aren't in this summary.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:10 AM   #6
JoelSammallahti

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In my campaign Desolation Road the qlippothic universe predated the sepriothic universe. Relics of that universe were all over the campaign, in the mysterious tunnels dug by the cthonian (called "tunnelers" by the archeologists who discovered their ruins) empire that once existed all over our galaxy (and like the human empire that followed in the sepriothic era linked worlds by evocation of their planetary spirits: angels in sepriothic universe but these were the reflections of their demonic selves in the qlippothic), the Shan who had fled the end by telepathically projecting into the Insects of Shaggai, and the former engineered slave races of the tunnelers.

The PC's were unknowingly working for Samael (the devil more or less) who had recruited them into a conspiracy to restore the interstellar connections through Yesod that had been severed when the Imperium Ratio collapsed. The reason the gates were closed was because in the fall of the qlippothic universe the Tunnelers had sent key members of their government, religion, and military into the hyperspace of Gamaliel, and were about to break through back into the sepriothic universe (although nobody in the PC's civilization knew this; the fall of the Imperium was a mystery).

Having written this like this, it seems a bit incoherent, but in the campaign it held together very well, there were a lot of supportimg details that aren't in this summary.
That sounds very cool. (And just the right level of incomprehensible, like a Jack Kirby setting.)
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
William

I don't often post just to agree, but yeah, that setting/plot sounds frickin' awesome.

I suppose I can add a datum by mentioning that whether Daath is a sephira is a disputed claim in GURPS Cabal, with the distinct impression that looking for it is either a deadly qlippothic trap, or completely vital to ascension, or both.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
That statement helped me realise the qlippoths are essentially spirit-xenomorphs, which helps to establish why the Cabal are so hostile to them, because Cabalists have more sense than Weyland-Yutani.
That isn't a high bar...
Old 01-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I don't often post just to agree, but yeah, that setting/plot sounds frickin' awesome.
Seconded. I would read that book/watch that movie/series/play that game etc.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.H.Alicia View Post
That isn't a high bar...
I sometimes imagine them on par with Umbrella corp. They're a doomsday cult pretending to be a legitimate business.