Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
mhd

Default [Build] Reborn at dawn

Let's say a character has the ability to be resurrected each dawn. The gods just won't let him be.

Sounds like regular Unkillable 2 or 3, with a Very Common Trigger (Dawn; -5%). As dawn takes a while, Fast Regeneration (Limited 1/day; Unkillable Only; -80%) and Regrowth takes care of the character waking up in good shape.

If it's really waking up in a new body, nude, w/o equipment somewhere else, is that worth some points or already built into Unkillable 3? Any other points I can shave off that? ;)

And what about the character automatically dying each dawn, too, only to be resurrected later? Can be quite inconvenient, but I'm not sure on what to base that (just a Nuisance Effect tied to Unkillable?)
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Build] Reborn at dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
Sounds like regular Unkillable 2 or 3, with a Very Common Trigger (Dawn; -5%). As dawn takes a while, Fast Regeneration (Limited 1/day; Unkillable Only; -80%) and Regrowth takes care of the character waking up in good shape.
I'm not sure I'd go as high at -80% for the "Unkillable only" limitation on the Regeneration - if it's intended to heal you back up to full HP, that's actually much lower of a limitation. "Only while dead" has been established, I believe, as canonically -40%, so "only to bring you back to full HP" is less limiting than that. I'd probably scrap all the limitations on Fast Regeneration, and just give it a Trigger: Coming back from the dead, worth -10% (because, for this character, it's a common condition). Trigger automatically gives you 1 minute of use, so that works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd
If it's really waking up in a new body, nude, w/o equipment somewhere else, is that worth some points or already built into Unkillable 3?
I'd say that's built into Unkillable 3 already. I certainly wouldn't allow a character with Unkillable to get all their stuff back as well as coming back from the dead, at least not without some build like Cosmic +100% on the Unkillable, or Cosmic Signature Gear for whatever you specifically wanted to return with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd
And what about the character automatically dying each dawn, too, only to be resurrected later? Can be quite inconvenient, but I'm not sure on what to base that (just a Nuisance Effect tied to Unkillable?)
Hmm. I think I'd make it a separate disadvantage, but the pricing is going to depend very heavily on how long the character stays dead for. I think I'd actually use Nocturnal for a base trait here, since the effect ("the character can't act for some notable fraction of the day") is basically the same. Just use limitations if the time they spend dead is less than a full night, and enhancements if it's longer.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
Let's say a character has the ability to be resurrected each dawn. The gods just won't let him be.

If it's really waking up in a new body, nude, w/o equipment somewhere else, is that worth some points or already built into Unkillable 3? Any other points I can shave off that? ;)

I don't see any reason why a resurrecting character would have any gear that hadn't been paid for with points
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
Celjabba

If he respawn with his costume, its a perk.

Item bought with Sig Gear should be easy to recover, but don't necessarily respawn with you... Depend on the GM. In most case, I would allow it.

If he is reborn with whatever he was carrying at the time of death, I suggested a while ago :

Payload 100 (cosmic, hammerspace : +50%; exposed -50%; weight counts as encumbrance -50%) [50] (everything you carry up to X-heavy dissapear from your corpse and respawn with you, but is otherwise visible, can be damaged, ...) (You can get it a bit cheaper by buying some lifting St(payload only) first; you may need to add a further cosmic : work even with dead))

Otherwise, you respawn naked. (or with a loincloth, depending on the game rating :) )

Depending on the setting and the circumstances of death, normal gear / wealth / ... may still exist or be lost with dead. If in doubt, add cosmic to wealth and social advantages.

Last edited by Celjabba; 01-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:47 AM   #5
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I'm not sure I'd go as high at -80% for the "Unkillable only" limitation on the Regeneration - if it's intended to heal you back up to full HP, that's actually much lower of a limitation. "Only while dead" has been established, I believe, as canonically -40%, so "only to bring you back to full HP" is less limiting than that.
I believe the -80% comes from -40% "one use per day", plus -40% "Only while dead".
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:09 AM   #6
mhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
I believe the -80% comes from -40% "one use per day", plus -40% "Only while dead".
Yes, that was my intention. It does sound a bit like double dipping, and I would need quite fast regeneration to go from killed to full hp in the one minute, so replacing that with a lower limitation and a lower regeneration would be better.

Speaking of HPs needed to heal, Unkillable ties the resurrection and being able to work until -10xHP together, and I think for this character I'd just need the first part, i.e. it's as easy for him to die like any other person. I'm going with PK's idea that this is worth -20%, definitely not more.

I'm also rethinking the daily death. I like the mythological aspect of it, but if the campaign ends up dungeon delving, it's mightily inconvenient. And a bit of a "get out of jail" card anyway. (One might just split the difference between the free "teleport" and the "taken out of play" for a while and just call it a social disadvantage… )
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote