Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
c0matose

Default Scroll of Storage

i had an idea for a piece of paper, covered in runes, which when placed on an object and activated with a word in some magical language would absorb the object, allowing a thief to take a huge gold trophy which he would otherwise not be able to carry, or take a chest out of a dungeon to be picked later if he's run out of lockpicks. My question is: 1) Is this just too OP, 2) What limits would be imposed I.E weight limit, or items INSIDE the object are not stored but destroyed in the process, and 3) How much should this cost?

Thanks
c0matose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Scroll of Storage

Use the Metatronic Generators to make a Cosmic Payload. That can give you different costs for different storage capacities, and destruction of the scroll would naturally destroy anything inside it. Style points if images of the contents appear on the scroll!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0matose View Post
i had an idea for a piece of paper, covered in runes, which when placed on an object and activated with a word in some magical language would absorb the object, allowing a thief to take a huge gold trophy which he would otherwise not be able to carry, or take a chest out of a dungeon to be picked later if he's run out of lockpicks. My question is: 1) Is this just too OP, 2) What limits would be imposed I.E weight limit, or items INSIDE the object are not stored but destroyed in the process, and 3) How much should this cost?

Thanks
In the standard Magic system this is a simple Enchantment for Hide Object at 100 energy per lb of capacity.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Refplace

Cosmic Payload with gadget limitation is another option. Similar idea for such scrolls in Naruto.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
Bramble Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
...and destruction of the scroll would naturally destroy anything inside it...
This is completely untrue. A destroyed Scroll of displacement has the contents reappear rapidly expanding outward from the damaged scroll.

Dwarves in fact use this bit of magical physics in their mining and construction. You bore a small hole deep into rock you want to mine, insert the flash paper scroll storing its maximum capacity in water and attached to a fuse into the bore as far as you can, seal the opening, and light the fuse from far away.
Bramble Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:26 AM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble Thorn View Post
This is completely untrue. A destroyed Scroll of displacement has the contents reappear rapidly expanding outward from the damaged scroll.

Dwarves in fact use this bit of magical physics in their mining and construction. You bore a small hole deep into rock you want to mine, insert the flash paper scroll storing its maximum capacity in water and attached to a fuse into the bore as far as you can, seal the opening, and light the fuse from far away.
That's the D&D scroll, yes? Different game system, different setting.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, item, scroll, thief theft