Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #41
Kalzazz

Default Re: Game Geekery - GURPS Content Posts

The idea of someone quitting the field after their foe has just opened themselves up with an All Out Attack . . . . so foreign
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #42
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
This is a small point, but it could lead to confusion, so I think it's important to state it exactly at the outset.
True enough. Updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
The idea of someone quitting the field after their foe has just opened themselves up with an All Out Attack . . . . so foreign
Hehe, yes, but Bart may not realize what the players do. From his point of view, he may only know that he's getting whooped and it's just not worth the effort.

At "GURPS Martial Arts" levels of detail I'd probably ask for a Per roll or something, for fighters of that caliber.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #43
Kalzazz

I've generally thought that All Out Attacks and other things were pretty clear and obvious, at least that was the perception I've gotten from the forum
Old 08-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #44
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
True enough. Updated!
After Bart's first turn, the text still says "and when everyone has acted, the turn ends and you start the next." The same problem arises there.

"and when everyone has acted, you go back to the fastest character and start his next turn"?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:36 AM   #45
mook

Quote:
I've generally thought that All Out Attacks and other things were pretty clear and obvious, at least that was the perception I've gotten from the forum
Entirely possible, but I couldn't find anything definitive in Lite or the Basic Set, or on the forums (though, granted, I'm checking from work).

Myself, I've always assumed those kinds of things are not obvious for most games, unless the characters in question are actually expert fighters (MMA, SpecFor, Ninja, etc.), and even then I'd probably ask for a Perception roll in most cases. But I feel like it's an "up to the GM" kind of thing.

Telegraphic Attack is an exception for me -- since it gives an actual bonus to the target's defense, presumably the target must notice what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
After Bart's first turn, the text still says "and when everyone has acted, the turn ends and you start the next." The same problem arises there.

"and when everyone has acted, you go back to the fastest character and start his next turn"?
Well, sure, if you want me to be thorough. :)

Seriously, thanks for pointing these things out! (Will update again in the morning after work).
Old 08-20-2015, 06:26 AM   #46
Kalzazz

Here is an example post on the subject http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...98&postcount=6

Here is another http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=13
Old 08-20-2015, 07:02 AM   #47
trechriron

These are fantastic resources Mook, Thanks!!
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #48
mook

Quote:
Cool, thanks! Search was failing me.

I don't actually hide maneuvers during combat, I say something like, "Okay, this guard is All-Out Attacking you..." while I'm shaking the dice. All the players know at all times what every other player and, usually, what every NPC is doing, so there's never been any kind of balance issue.

From the character's knowledge, I dunno... I can see a Jedi and Ronda Rousey, elite combatants, being able to fully size up their foes in a 1-second turn. But a greenhorn cowboy and a two-bit thug? *shrug* Just seems to me like Bart would cut his losses.

I mean, even if he's aware that Rex just committed an All-Out Attack and is off-balance, wide open... he can also see that he's only got 3 HP to Rex's 9. Bart's injuries are gonna take a week or so of bed rest to heal before he's back to normal; Rex just needs a good night's sleep. Sure, he might get in a good enough lick to take Rex out... or, he might just make him mad and end up getting savagely beaten into unconsciousness if he pushes his luck.

I think I'll leave that part as-is. Still seems more "GM call" than "rules violation" to me. But please keep commenting on the posts! The fact that I had to give all this so much thought is a good thing. :)
Old 08-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #49
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
I mean, even if he's aware that Rex just committed an All-Out Attack and is off-balance, wide open... he can also see that he's only got 3 HP to Rex's 9. Bart's injuries are gonna take a week or so to heal before he's back to normal; Rex just needs a good night's sleep. Sure, he might get in a good enough lick to take Rex out... or, he might just make him mad and end up getting a savage beating for his troubles.
I think you have to figure that even ignoring penalties from how wounded he is, Bart is at -4 from the shock of that massive kick. He'll hit Rex only on an 8 or less. So he's got one chance in four of damaging Rex and three chances in four of leaving him unhurt and convinced that Bart still has fight in him and has to be taken down.

A mere barroom brawler might go for those odds. But I think you have to figure that Bart is a professional or semi-professional mugger and is looking for easy money. Rex has stopped being "easy money."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #50
Kalzazz

I'm perfectly fine with it being an informed decision not to continue the fight

But having it be because he is ignorant of something that is a key aspect of the game? Ugh.

Also given he has DX+1 in his skill, that's 4pts. That's hardly a green amateur, Bart is invested in that club. He isn't Ronda Rousey, but he's closer to her than a random non combatant.

I don't think this at all serves as a good example without clearly discussing Bart knowing that Rex did an All Out Attack and that Bart is knowingly not taking advantage of it . An example shouldn't just add in extra fog of war.

Tags
blog, blogs