Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Rockwolf66

Default LCU 1466 Class

Hey all,

I'm currently in need of GURPS stats for a Landing Craft Utility 1466 class vessel. I have a character who is using one as a Merchant vessel. I know how fast it goes and I know how much it can carry. I have no clue as to what the stats for it's 2 1/2 inches of armor on the wheelhouse should be or the stats for the rest of it. While I have gotten the hang of making characters I still have no clue as to vehicle stats and what is "reasonable." as the 1466 is a lengthened Mk. 5 landing craft the stats for one should be applicable to finding the stats for the other. I do know that a Mk. 5 would be useful in a WWII game.

LCU 1466 class

One for sale

Another one for sale
Rockwolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: LCU 1466 Class

2.5 inches of RHA steel would be DR 170. Now, RHA isn't that great as actual armor (it's used for consistency), but it's a decent estimate - that means you're probably looking at DR 150-200. I can't speak to the armor on the rest of it, however.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Now, RHA isn't that great as actual armor
It's not amazing, but there's a whole lot of steel out there that's worse than it for armor purposes.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Rockwolf66

the armor is twice as thick as the armor on some modern light tanks. I just checked the penetration of WWII anti-tank rifles and autocannons. The armor on the Wheelhouse and the Gun tubs are proof against 20mmAP rounds.

TL:6 Vehicle: LCU 1466 ST/HP: ? Hnd/SR: ? ST: ? Move:? LWt.: ? Load:? SM: ? Occ.: 14+300 DR: ? Range: 700+ knots Cost:$895,000 Locations:? Draft: ? Notes: ?

Wheelhouse has DR: 200, gun tub on either side of the Wheelhouse has DR: 150 and can carry up to twin 20mm Oerlikon Type S.

As I said this is a first for me so I am still unsure what information goes where. Some help in removing the (?) would be great.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Seneschal

HP for unliving objects is normally calculated as 4×(cube root of weight in lbs.), which gives 360 HP. You can scale HP with surface area, which gives more realistic results for large objects and vehicles - that's 1.7×(square root of weight in lbs.), or 1450 HP.

Both probably don't correspond to ST, which I guess is somewhere around 100, but you won't need ST for a ship. I can't see a situation in which the ship exerts its ST to deal thrust damage - if it rams something, damage is calculated based on mass and velocity.

SM for 40 yards is +8. HT is most likely 12, possibly 12f if flammable fuel could be hit easily.

The same number of Pyramid (#34 - Alternate GURPS) that has the above "alternate HP" formula also has rules to simulate boats and cars with Spaceships rules, and says that Hnd can be derived from vessel SM - for SM+8 vessels, this is Hnd/SR -1/5.

The page says its maximum speed is 17 knots, which is about Move 9. I'd put the acceleration at 1, as most ships have less than that.

What else do we have? Lwt. is loaded weight, or 360 tons, Load is 180 tons. Range isn't specified, so put it at 500 miles or something.

Last edited by Seneschal; 10-23-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Seneschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Rockwolf66

I borrowed the statline layout from the PBR Mk 2 from High tech.

TL:6 Vehicle: LCU 1466 HP: 1450 Hnd/SR: ? ST: ? Move:? LWt.: 180 tons Load:180 tons SM: ? Occ.: 14+300 DR: 150 Range: 850 knots Cost:$895,000 Locations:? Draft: ? Notes: ?

I'm still unsure what a lot of the stats mean as I don't have my own copy of campaigns yet.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Seneschal

Oh, sorry then. Here's a crash-course; Hnd/SR are Handling (the bonus/penalty to Piloting/Driving, determined by vehicle bulk or maneuverability) and Stability Rating ("by how much you can fail a Piloting/Driving check and still retain control of the vehicle" - this is why bikes have SR 1 (you fail, you fall off the bike and break your ass), and large ships have SR 5 (you fail, you drift slightly off-course)).

SM is size modifier. It's just a measure of how big something is, so when shooting the ship, you get +SM bonus to hit. Humans are SM+0 (2 yards), your ship is SM+8 (50 yards). The rest (occupancy, load, range) aren't gameplay stats, so just copy them off the ship statistics on that site.

I've edited my above post with some more statistics, if it helps.

EDIT: Here's how I'd put it:
TL 6; ST/HP 110/1450; Hnd/SR -1/5; Move 1/9; LWt. 360 tons; Load 180 tons; SM +8; Occ. 14+300; DR 200/150; Range 500 miles; Cost $895,000; Locations 2gS; Draft ?? (I don't know what this is, to be honest. How drafty the hallways are? :P)

The locations ("2gS") stands for "two small windows and a large superstructure".

Last edited by Seneschal; 10-23-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
Draft ?? (I don't know what this is, to be honest. How drafty the hallways are? :P)
The "draft" of a watercraft is how deep the keel lies under the water line. It tells you how shallow the water can be before you run aground.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Seneschal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The "draft" of a watercraft is how deep the keel lies under the water line. It tells you how shallow the water can be before you run aground.
Oh, I guess that's crucial for a landing craft. Maybe that's why its Move is so abysmal; Alternate Spaceships doesn't even allow SM+8 watercraft to have Move below 12.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Rockwolf66

basically it's a self powered barge designed to deliver armor onto a hostile beach. From looking at the links as long as the back end is in four feet of water it can either float or self recover.