Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #11
hal

Default Re: Daze spell vs Daze affliction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I've always interpreted "acts normal" to mean the victim guard's appearance to other observers. The phrase means it's not obvious to a casual observer that he's Dazed. He'll stand there looking guard-like. It doesn't mean that he still has goals, conscious processing, selecting Maneuvers in combat. It just means he's not dropping to the floor or standing there gape-jawed, drooling, and reeling. Other the parts where the guard isn't stopping that person walking right past him (which would be "normal" were the guard aware), he looks and "acts normal" if it weren't for all the other stuff happening around him. But his "mind is somewhere else", to use a common idiom.
That's how I've always run it since GURPS MAGIC came out in the first edition...

;)

Nicely worded by the way.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #12
David Johnston2

Default Re: Daze spell vs Daze affliction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I've always interpreted "acts normal" to mean the victim guard's appearance to other observers. The phrase means it's not obvious to a casual observer that he's Dazed. He'll stand there looking guard-like. It doesn't mean that he still has goals, conscious processing, selecting Maneuvers in combat. It just means he's not dropping to the floor or standing there gape-jawed, drooling, and reeling. Other the parts where the guard isn't stopping that person walking right past him (which would be "normal" were the guard aware), he looks and "acts normal" if it weren't for all the other stuff happening around him. But his "mind is somewhere else", to use a common idiom.
Yes, I think "acts normal" means "isn't immediately obvious to an observer that anything is wrong with them except that they aren't reacting if they should."
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote