Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
ellogan

Default Item Restrictions

I donīt get the "Item restrictions" part:

It says that "you have slots, worn items, shiny and clothing, hands, belt and a pack".

Then, do I have to put all cards drawn in the table as part of this? In what part is left the hand? This is because, I cannot have more than 5 cards in my hand, then I can have the slots, the pack, the belt and my hand?

I kind of get lost in this part so I will require a explanation about this part, usually we play as normal Munchkin, without a knowledge for packs or belts and just... we have stuff.

Thanks
ellogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Rudkin

Default Re: Item Restrictions

Pretty straightforward, really. Here's a breakdown:

The cards in your hand (max. 5 at the end of your turn):
These are not treated as items (so "Curse! lose one small item" couldn't force you to discard a card from your hand); they are just 'cards'. They can include any Treasure or DxM cards you happen to draw.

Cards on the table:
These include your current Class/Race and your Items.

Of your Items you can have the following:

2 Hands (either two 1-Hand item or one 2-Hand item). These are the weapons, etc. that you are holding and using*.

1 "Headgear". This is the hat you are currently wearing*.

1 "Footgear". These are the shoes you are wearing*.

1 "Armour". This is the armour you are wearing*.

*The Item(s) that are giving you a combat bonus or are otherwise being used.

You also have:

Any number of Scrolls and Potions on your "Belt". These are cards that are on the table, in play, that say "Potion" or "Scroll". This uses the same mechanic as in the card game; you can put these cards on the table from your hand on your turn if you want (say, to free up room in your hand).

Any number of "Shinies". These are trinkets and such that you are wearing, like rings. Some of them give combat bonuses; if they are on the table then you are using them and get the relevant bonuses (and penalties, if applicable) for having them on the table.

Gold, while not cards, is also in play in front of you. There is no limit to the amount of gold you can have.

Finally, your "Backpack" can (normally) contain up to two Items. Now, obviously you don't need to fill your backpack with Scrolls, Potions and Shinies, because there is no limit to how many of those you can have. So your Backpack is where you would store Weapons, Armour or Footgear that you can't use at the moment (because you have something better, are cursed, or just don't meet the requirements). But you can only have 2 of these items (unlike in the card game, where there is no limit to the amount of junk you can toss down on the table... barring Big items).

Anything you can't carry (or don't want to carry anymore) is dropped in the Room you currently occupy, and can be picked up by other players if they Search the Room (or spend a Move to pick up the junk you dropped).

~~~~~~~~~~

So in sum, everything is like it is in the card game EXCEPT that there is a limit to the number of unused Items* you can carry. These unused Items (of which you can have two) go in your "Backpack" and are placed sideways.

*not including Shinies, Scrolls, and Potions.

Also note, while you're at it, the change in the rules for Big Items (you can carry more than one, but it'll slow you down...).

Last edited by Rudkin; 01-18-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Capitalizing; sorry about that.
Rudkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudkin View Post
2 hands (either two 1-hand item or one 2-hand item). These are the weapons, etc. that you are holding and using*.
"Hands," not "hands," since we typically refer to the cards we do not have in play in our hand. In the future, please capitalize game keywords. Please.

The less long version. Your slots include your 2 Hands, 1 Headgear, 1 Armor and 1 Footgear in play, which you are using. On your Belt, you may carry any number of Potions and Scrolls, and these don't have to be used on your next (or current) combat if you don't want. Shinies you can carry (and use) any number. Your Backpack allows you to carry (but not use) two extra "slotted" Items.

If you play the card game, you should already understand the restriction of how many Items you may use (2 Hands, 1 Headgear, 1 Armor, 1 Footgear) with respect to slots. The difference between the card game and the board game is that you may not carry an unlimited number of "slotted" Items, which is what the Backpack is for. With the board game, you can drop stuff in the room you are in, so if you have too much stuff and want to play something new, you can sell what you have, trade it, or drop it in the room you are in.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Quaff_fu

Couple of other things you might want to check out.

Thingie
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=55725

Singing And Dancing Sword
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=56549

Pat

Tags
hand, hand size limit, item, item cards