Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
Phil

Default GURPS VTT?

I started a discussion in a GURPS G+ community, and I wanted to get more feedback, so I'm re-posting here:

"How much demand do you think there would be for a GURPS virtual table-top? How much value would it bring?"

A VTT specifically designed for GURPS would be very GURPS specific, with close integration with 4th edition rules, in addition to flexibility for house rules (to varying extents).

There seems to be a potentially valid argument that the GURPS fan base isn't big enough to fund such a product. Thoughts?
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: GURPS VTT?

I'm not a likely user, and not just because I am grumpy and set in my ways. I game as a face-to-face social thing, and gaming virtually has never worked for me, no matter what the game.

That said, I do hope I'm not representative of the broader community. A VTT might open things up for people who could become interested in GURPS but don't have good access to other players, and that could be great for lots of people who aren't me.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
gruundehn

The best way would be for the VTT to be able to be used in a face-to-face setting. The players bring a laptop or tablet with the VTT software and the GM has the controlling laptop with the setting and adventure ready to run. The VTT could take over a lot of the GM mundane tasks such as maps to players, handouts, dice rolling, etc. and allow for more interaction between players and GM. If the VTT is flexible enough SJG might even find it worthwhile to provide adventures that can fit into various settings - no adventure will fit into all settings, even all of a specific genre.

This would also allow for easier character sheet maintenance and easier GM use of secret rolls.

the biggest problem would be the Mac vs. PC compatibility. But other programs get around that so I am sure SJG can do so also.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruundehn View Post
the biggest problem would be the Mac vs. PC compatibility. But other programs get around that so I am sure SJG can do so also.

I was thinking web-based, for cross-platform compatibility and immediate updates/patches/features.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
sclose1970

I'd love to see a SJG approved GURPS VTT. Where I live there isn't a large gaming community, but I've been using Fantasy Grounds to play with people who don't live anywhere near me. It would be nice to have official support for it, but there are people that have done their best to make the GURPS module for FG quite playable and enjoyable.
sclose1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

My understanding is that people who have made GURPS frameworks for other VTTs have been told by SJGames that they're automating too much of the system and they need to disable some functionality. Given the low resources for GURPS, I think it's unlikely that they'd spare the people to sit on the project and make sure it met the standards they felt necessary for an official GURPS project.

In other words, I think it'd be fantastic, great for the game, but unfortunately won't happen at least until computer resources become an assumed part of any tabletop gaming.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
My understanding is that people who have made GURPS frameworks for other VTTs have been told by SJGames that they're automating too much of the system and they need to disable some functionality.
That's interesting. I'm not suggesting SJG let people go crazy with their IP -- I meant more of funding a new SJG product, or at least selling some sort of licensing to let someone else do it.

With regard to the system itself -- perhaps if they changed their business model such that these automated rules were broken into modules, like the books themselves. If each player of said hosted game required those modules, they might see increased revenue, rather than solely from the PDFs that are being downloaded and potentially pirated. Additionally, they could create hyperlink referencing between the VTT platform and the PDFs -- if the PDFs are accessed via the VTT.

To elaborate -- let's say a customer can purchase PDFs and download them as per usual. But if they're downloaded via the VTT (a hypothetical SJG product/service), then your VTT account would additionally retain "web access" to that PDF, and could display the book in a reader via the website. This would allow secure quick reference functionality between the rules engine of the VTT and the game books themselves.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the idea justice in my explanation. Just a thought.

Last edited by Phil; 09-29-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
That's interesting. I'm not suggesting SJG let people go crazy with their IP -- I meant more of funding a new SJG product, or at least selling some sort of licensing to let someone else do it.

With regard to the system itself -- perhaps if they changed their business model such that these automated rules were broken into modules, like the books themselves. If each player of said hosted game required those modules, they might see increased revenue, rather than solely from the PDFs that are being downloaded and potentially pirated. Additionally, they could create hyperlink referencing between the VTT platform and the PDFs -- if the PDFs are accessed via the VTT.

To elaborate -- let's say a customer can purchase PDFs and download them as per usual. But if they're downloaded via the VTT (a hypothetical SJG product/service), then your VTT account would additionally retain "web access" to that PDF, and could display the book in a reader via the website. This would allow secure quick reference functionality between the rules engine of the VTT and the game books themselves.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the idea justice in my explanation. Just a thought.
I think it's a great idea. I don't think they'll have the resources to devote to making it a reality for a good long while.

Semper Fi
Old 09-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
Anaraxes

Once upon a time, there was a GURPS module for MapTool, IIRC.

From a business point of view, I'd think customization for one of the existing VTT platforms would be better than creating yet another base platform. Less development cost, shorter time to market, less maintenance, better exposure to other uses of that VTT platform.

It must, of course, be able to read GCA and GCS files to use in its internal status tracking system. Speaking of which, that tracker would be useful even apart from the VTT proper, for use during FTF play.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Once upon a time, there was a GURPS module for MapTool, IIRC.

From a business point of view, I'd think customization for one of the existing VTT platforms would be better than creating yet another base platform. Less development cost, shorter time to market, less maintenance, better exposure to other uses of that VTT platform.

It must, of course, be able to read GCA and GCS files to use in its internal status tracking system. Speaking of which, that tracker would be useful even apart from the VTT proper, for use during FTF play.
There's still a GURPS module for Maptools, it's just substantially degraded from it's feature set from prior to the letter telling them they were automating too much of the system.

I'd agree that using an existing VTT would be better than building a new one from the ground up.

My understanding is that it's pretty straightforward to get GCA to give you an export file that Maptool can read to import traits onto a token.

Semper Fi

Tags
gurps vtt