Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
SithMasterZaid

Default Search Bonus...

Alright... sorry for all these questions... but the green/red class/race icons that are found in rooms... they either give a +1/-1 to your combat/search rolls... I understand how it works with your combat rolls... but in relation to searching... does a red icon mean you can't search because it takes away one die? Does a green one mean you actually get to roll the d10 twice? That's what confused me... it just seems crazy to me to be able to roll the d10 twice!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
worms919

Default Re: Search Bonus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithMasterZaid View Post
Alright... sorry for all these questions... but the green/red class/race icons that are found in rooms... they either give a +1/-1 to your combat/search rolls... I understand how it works with your combat rolls... but in relation to searching... does a red icon mean you can't search because it takes away one die? Does a green one mean you actually get to roll the d10 twice? That's what confused me... it just seems crazy to me to be able to roll the d10 twice!
This is a common mistake that will probably be in the eventual FAQ. When searching, you use a six-sided die, not the ten-sided die. So if a room is good for your race/class (green) you can roll an extra six-sided dice, but if its bad (red)you roll one less. There are other ways to increase your search dice, so you may still be able to search even if the room is bad.

Also keep in mind that the search-modifier icons with the magnifying glass add or subtract numbers from the die result and do not affect the number of dice rolled.
(Edit: Unless, obviously of course duh, it is the cannot search modifier which technically does affect the number of dice rolled by banning them completely.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
SithMasterZaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by worms919 View Post
This is a common mistake that will probably be in the eventual FAQ. When searching, you use a six-sided die, not the ten-sided die. So if a room is good for your race/class (green) you can roll an extra six-sided dice, but if its bad (red)you roll one less. There are other ways to increase your search dice, so you may still be able to search even if the room is bad.

Also keep in mind that the search-modifier icons with the magnifying glass add or subtract numbers from the die result and do not affect the number of dice rolled.
(Edit: Unless, obviously of course duh, it is the cannot search modifier which technically does affect the number of dice rolled by banning them completely.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
So what do you do in the event that you're searching a room that is good for your character? It states under the "Rooms and Icons" box - "Combat and Search rolls are modified by the icons.

-Green icons indicate rooms that are good for your Race or Class. Each green icon that matches your character lets you roll an extra die."

To me... that sounds like you roll an extra d10 if you have a green icon! Plus what if it contains two green icons that fit your character... that's three d10!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
So what do you do in the event that you're searching a room that is good for your character? It states under the "Rooms and Icons" box - "Combat and Search rolls are modified by the icons.

-Green icons indicate rooms that are good for your Race or Class. Each green icon that matches your character lets you roll an extra die."

To me... that sounds like you roll an extra d10 if you have a green icon! Plus what if it contains two green icons that fit your character... that's three d10!
No. You only roll the d10 for your d10 Power. All other rolls are with d6s. Three green icons mean you can roll 3d6 for Searching and Combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin Quest, Page 4
When the rules or cards just tell you to “roll a die,” or when a room, monster, etc., gives a bonus or penalty on die rolls, this only means the six-sider unless it specifies otherwise.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Reinforcing the above:

Searches use the colored d6, NOT the d10. The ONLY time you roll the d10 is when you're using a Class d10 power or a card specifically says to roll the d10 (such as certain Traps).

And yes, it's possible (if stupid) to search and roll zero dice. Your search result in that case is 0.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Andy-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
And yes, it's possible (if stupid) to search and roll zero dice. Your search result in that case is 0.
Why? I was a halfling rogue with the item that gives +1 on searches (don't know the English name, sorry)...
So, without rolling I always have a 3 already, right?
I can also use discard two cards to get a 5...
Results in
5 – 100 gold pieces and a Treasure card. The room is Ransacked!

Sounds ok to me.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Reinforcing the above:

Searches use the colored d6, NOT the d10. The ONLY time you roll the d10 is when you're using a Class d10 power or a card specifically says to roll the d10 (such as certain Traps).

It also bears noting that it's not stupid to search in a room that gives you zero dice if there happens to be dropped Items in that room, since you can pick up stuff from dropped Items as part of a search.
MiB #1029
Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
SithMasterZaid

Quote:
Reinforcing the above:

OMFG... I've been doing that wrong the entire time! I feel stupid! Thank god this forum exists! I've been rolling the d10... now it makes plenty of sense!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #9
Palmer

Quote:
OMFG... I've been doing that wrong the entire time! I feel stupid! Thank god this forum exists! I've been rolling the d10... now it makes plenty of sense!
I will admit it's not made entirely clear, but the bright yellow box on page 4 says: "When the rules or cards just tell you to “roll a die,” or when a room, monster, etc., gives a bonus or penalty on die rolls, this only means the six-sider unless it specifies otherwise."

The d10 is used ONLY for d10 powers, or for anything that explicitly says "d10". If it doesn't actually say d10, then it's ALWAYS d6.
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Old 07-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I will admit it's not made entirely clear, but the bright yellow box on page 4 says: "When the rules or cards just tell you to “roll a die,” or when a room, monster, etc., gives a bonus or penalty on die rolls, this only means the six-sider unless it specifies otherwise."

The d10 is used ONLY for d10 powers, or for anything that explicitly says "d10". If it doesn't actually say d10, then it's ALWAYS d6.
How is that not entirely clear? That sentence from the callout box couldn't get any clearer. I can almost see through it. . .
MiB #1029
Closed Thread