Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
tgape

Default Can you monster-morph on a boss fight?

Can one Monster Morph the boss? "Use this card when a monster is drawn. You may substitute any other Monster card from the discard pile."

This was used to replace a Super-Undead Mr. Bones[1] with a Goldfish.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: Can you monster-morph on a boss fight?

No, the rules for Boss say you cannot get rid of the monster in any way. =)
MiB: #1602
Old 01-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
alexonfyre

I think you can do it, it would just be like drawing the goldfish instead of the Mr. Bones. Since the boss hasn't been put into play until after it is drawn, and this takes place before that happens.
However, not in the way he suggested, if he knew it was a Mr. Bones then he waited too long to use it.
The goldfish substituted, had he done it right, would be the level 20 boss monster instead of whatever the top card on the monster deck is.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexonfyre
I think you can do it, it would just be like drawing the goldfish instead of the Mr. Bones. Since the boss hasn't been put into play until after it is drawn, and this takes place before that happens.
However, not in the way he suggested, if he knew it was a Mr. Bones then he waited too long to use it.
The goldfish substituted, had he done it right, would be the level 20 boss monster instead of whatever the top card on the monster deck is.

No, the monster drawn is the boss monster.

Pat
Old 01-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
alexonfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleydotes
No, the monster drawn is the boss monster.

Pat
No? You just said the same thing that I said.

Monster-morph takes place instead of drawing. So what are you disagreeing with?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Progmode

Quote:
No? You just said the same thing that I said.

Monster-morph takes place instead of drawing. So what are you disagreeing with?
No, Monster Morph replaces the drawn monster. You still need to draw a monster before Monster Morph can be played.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
alexonfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmode
No, Monster Morph replaces the drawn monster. You still need to draw a monster before Monster Morph can be played.
Has there been a previous ruling on this somewhere? Because the card just says "When a monster card is drawn" meaning that it doesn't have to come into play for monster morph to be used. As in, if I wanted to use it to get Scary Clowns because I have Snickersnee, I wouldn't have to wait for someone to pull a card and roll for it and etc. I could just use it, replace it and then have it put into play.

Also, if you read the boss section, it says that it can't be moved from the entrance and that the combat can not be avoided. This card attempts to do neither of those things.

Last edited by alexonfyre; 01-04-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Progmode

Quote:
Has there been a previous ruling on this somewhere? Because the card just says "When a monster card is drawn" meaning that it doesn't have to come into play for monster morph to be used. As in, if I wanted to use it to get Scary Clowns because I have Snickersnee, I wouldn't have to wait for someone to pull a card and roll for it and etc. I could just use it, replace it and then have it put into play.
I believe it's in play as soon as it's drawn. The book-keeping that goes along with it should be considered instantaneous. It isn't, of course, because people can't do them that way.

For instance, I don't care if you play Monster Morph before or after the Monster Die is rolled, because there will only be one roll. If you happen to replace the monster before that, then you still need to roll it, if you choose to play it after the monster die is rolled, then the substituted monster goes on the base that was already rolled. A new base isn't rolled. It's a substitution.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
alexonfyre

I just edited my last post, but I guess it is worth saying again,

This is simply a substitution, it doesn't avoid the combat and it doesn't attempt to move the monster, simply "morph" it into something else. The something else would conform to the same rules as the other boss, be level 20, can't be moved or avoided, etc. The rules do not forbid that, and there are no errata concerning it, so I don't see what the issue would be.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Progmode

Quote:
I just edited my last post, but I guess it is worth saying again,

This is simply a substitution, it doesn't avoid the combat and it doesn't attempt to move the monster, simply "morph" it into something else. The something else would conform to the same rules as the other boss, be level 20, can't be moved or avoided, etc. The rules do not forbid that, and there are no errata concerning it, so I don't see what the issue would be.
I've not said anything regarding whether or not the play is valid against a boss monster. I've only attempted to correct what I think is a misconception on how the card works.

On the matter of whether or not it's a valid play: I'm torn. While the combat isn't bypassed, you do prevent the original monster from fighting in the combat.