Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 10-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
LinkN

Default Munchkin Quest rules question

Read through the MQ rules, and I came up with a question about searching.

If you get a bonus or penalty to searching a room, is that just adding/subtracting from the number rolled, or is it adding/removing dice? Say that I'm a thief in a room that's beneficial to Thieves, and the room has been Ransacked (-1 to search checks), and nothing else will affect my roll. Do I roll 2 dice (one normally, one for the room's benefit) and subtract one from the number rolled, or do I roll one die (one normally, plus one for the room, minus one for being ransacked) and just take that number?
LinkN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Munchkin Quest rules question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkN
Read through the MQ rules, and I came up with a question about searching.

If you get a bonus or penalty to searching a room, is that just adding/subtracting from the number rolled, or is it adding/removing dice? Say that I'm a thief in a room that's beneficial to Thieves, and the room has been Ransacked (-1 to search checks), and nothing else will affect my roll. Do I roll 2 dice (one normally, one for the room's benefit) and subtract one from the number rolled, or do I roll one die (one normally, plus one for the room, minus one for being ransacked) and just take that number?
Roll 2 dice and subtract 1 from the number rolled. On p. 8, in the box, for example, the icon "-1 Magnifying Glass Symbol" says "-1 to Search Rolls."

Also, under "Searching" (on p. 8), the rules state "Any time a Search icon (see box above) is in the room, your roll is modified."
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
LinkN

Alright. That's what I assumed, but I wasn't sure, so figured I'd ask before I try teaching it to other people... don't want to go back and say I was wrong on a bunch of things >.>

Anyway, thanks for the answer :)
LinkN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkN
Anyway, thanks for the answer :)
My pleasure (and, to be honest, Will was looking over my shoulder when I posted the answer so he deserves some of the credit). If you have any more questions as you read the rules don't hesitate to ask.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
RevBob

If you drop items in a room where there's already a stack of dropped items, do you:

a) have to add 'em to the existing stack,
b) have to make a separate stack, or
c) get to choose?

I would expect A, that there is one drop-stack per room, but explicit is good. (And if B or C is right, is it correct to infer from that that you must spend effort to search each drop-stack separately rather than the room as a whole?)

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob
If you drop items in a room where there's already a stack of dropped items, do you:

a) have to add 'em to the existing stack,
b) have to make a separate stack, or
c) get to choose?

I would expect A, that there is one drop-stack per room, but explicit is good.
I'm not sure why it matters, but the rules tell you to place dropped Items in a stack in front of you and to place a letter token on the stack and its mate in the room. My guess is that way, you're not reaching across the table and creating a mess trying to get all the Items in one stack. Unless someone can point to a very good reason not to do it, if I have the table space, I'm going to do a), if I don't, I'm going to do b).

Quote:
(And if B or C is right, is it correct to infer from that that you must spend effort to search each drop-stack separately rather than the room as a whole?)
It is incorrect to infer that. The rules for picking up Items are extremely specific:
When you are in a room with dropped Items (see p. 7) you may spend a Move to pick up any of those items. Also, when you Search a room that contains dropped Items, you automatically get any of those Items you want, as well as the results of your Search roll. Exception: If your search finds a monster, you don’t get the dropped Items unless you kill the monster and take its own treasures.
There is no reference to stacks. Either expending a move or searching the room, which requires expending a move, allows you to take any or all Items in the room.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
I'm not sure why it matters, but the rules tell you to place dropped Items in a stack in front of you and to place a letter token on the stack and its mate in the room.
The main reason it matters to me is simple resource management. As I recall, there are six pairs of stack markers in the box; my concern was that with multiple stacks in a room, those could run out pretty quickly. With one stack per room, markers are better conserved. Therefore, if all game effects are otherwise equal, my instinct is to combine stacks whenever possible. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be stepping on another game mechanism in doing so.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:36 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob
The main reason it matters to me is simple resource management. As I recall, there are six pairs of stack markers in the box; my concern was that with multiple stacks in a room, those could run out pretty quickly. With one stack per room, markers are better conserved. Therefore, if all game effects are otherwise equal, my instinct is to combine stacks whenever possible. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be stepping on another game mechanism in doing so.
It seems you mistook the context of my statement: I don't know why it matters to the rules. The rules make a point of telling you to put the stack of dropped Items "in front of [the player]." Unless there is a concrete reason to not do it (card effect, maybe), I would suggest combining the stacks.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 10-08-2008 at 07:34 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
. . . I would suggest combining the stacks.
I agree. The few times I've seen this come up (maybe, at most, two) the stacks were simply combined.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:34 AM   #10
Bugzy

So, are picked items go 'in hand', or must remain 'in play'?
Bugzy is offline   Reply With Quote