Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-27-2018, 02:39 AM   #11
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Dark City Games - Stretch Goals

Hi all,
I note that Dark City Games use XP to buy talents, so it should be easier to convert one of their products to the new TFT than the old.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
Patrick

I have all the Dark City Games solos and most of them are quite good. I could definitely see them writing for SJG at some point.
As a stretch goal however I would like to see a pocket edition of Melee and Wizard like the one made for Ogre, that would be really handy for getting new players involved and having an extra copy of the rules at the table.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
GlennDoren

The new Melee/wizard box sets are basically the entry games. Anything less than that just doesn’t make financial sense for SJG.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I have all the Dark City Games solos and most of them are quite good. I could definitely see them writing for SJG at some point.
As a stretch goal however I would like to see a pocket edition of Melee and Wizard like the one made for Ogre, that would be really handy for getting new players involved and having an extra copy of the rules at the table.
That's a GREAT idea!! Sadly, I don't think SJG can do it. For one thing, due to the way he recovered his IP, he DIDN'T get all the original art and stuff, so he couldn't just reprint from his existing files the way he could with Ogre (to which he DID own all the rights). Since he'd have to commission new art and whatnot, I suspect that would make it completely impossible to do for the price point like he could with Ogre.

Still, if I could have a WISH granted... ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #15
JoeHartley

I have many of the DCG adventures and think this is a great idea!

Thanks for the generous offer, George. I'd love to see this happen, as the DCG games helped keep my TFT solo gaming alive.
JoeHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #16
JLV

It's probably a bridge too far, given the logistics involved, but I still put this up there as one of the best ideas floated.

Mostly because it supports two of my favorite game designers at the same time, and I like that kind of extra bang for the buck! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:01 AM   #17
Patrick

Well if the Kickstarter goes like Ogre did I think it could be done, I doubt they made a profit off the pocket editions of that they put out.
If the KS really pays off then perhaps some of the money could be used to secure the author's rights for other Metagaming titles (should be simply a matter of getting a day in court and showing the ruling SJ already got for his own work.)
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:38 AM   #18
GlennDoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Well if the Kickstarter goes like Ogre did I think it could be done, I doubt they made a profit off the pocket editions of that they put out.
If the KS really pays off then perhaps some of the money could be used to secure the author's rights for other Metagaming titles (should be simply a matter of getting a day in court and showing the ruling SJ already got for his own work.)
Well... I suspect Howard Thompson wouldn't be up to giving the rights for his Microquests to SJG ;) Which is a shame... Would be fun to see a reprint of Treasure of the Silver Dragon, and Treasure of Unicorn Gold.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:47 AM   #19
DarkPumpkin

My conspiracy theory is that Mr McLimore has been quietly getting the rights back to GrailQuest, in the same way that SJ was able to get TFT back, and this will be announced as a stretch goal. Absolutely no evidence to back this up though...
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #20
Skarg

Well it's not like Arthur and grail quests are IP of Howard Thompson. I bet Guy could/would make an improved quest on the same subject without impinging on HT's "rights" in any way. I'd certainly hope the map would be a new one (or randomly generated for each play) and that the random encounters would also be re-done (I played it last year and I think I must have killed off all of the hobgoblins and ST 8 IQ 16 knights errant left in Arthurian Britain).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote