Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-26-2018, 05:34 AM   #1
Chris Rice

Default Dark City Games - Stretch Goals

I've just noticed that George Dew of Dark City Games has just posted on the KS that he'd be interested in contributing adventures as stretch goals for the campaign.

For those who don't know, DCG produce some nice programmed adventures in the style of the old Microquests, complete with colour maps and counters. They currently have 16 fantasy adventures listed on their website.

http://www.darkcitygames.com

Although designed with their own "Legends of the Ancient World" rules, they are very compatible with TFT, since LAW is basically a derivative of TFT.

Last edited by Chris Rice; 07-26-2018 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Added link.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
Nebless

Default Re: Dark City Games - Stretch Goals

I have Ebon Rebirth and with the exception of the experience point rules and just a few minor differences in weapon damage (1d+2 vs 1d+1 kind of thing) they're fully compatible.

Adding Dark City Games solo adventures would be great.

Last edited by Nebless; 07-26-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Nebless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Rick_Smith

I own a few of the Dark City Games, and would LOVE to see one added to the Kickstarter stretch goals. (Hopefully one I don't already own!)

However, each such adventure would likely add $6 to $8 to the cost to produce the package. The time to add them would also likely add time, making it hard to get everything done by next March. So tho it would be cool to see them, I really doubt that SJ Games can afford to be so generous.

I think that SJ Games could sell those adventures separately after the Kickstarter if they can make a deal with George Dew.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
I own a few of the Dark City Games, and would LOVE to see one added to the Kickstarter stretch goals. (Hopefully one I don't already own!)

However, each such adventure would likely add $6 to $8 to the cost to produce the package. The time to add them would also likely add time, making it hard to get everything done by next March. So tho it would be cool to see them, I really doubt that SJ Games can afford to be so generous.

I think that SJ Games could sell those adventures separately after the Kickstarter if they can make a deal with George Dew.

Warm regards, Rick.
I was thinking that myself, although maybe they could be offered as an add-on. I doubt George has a couple of thousand of a particular adventure just lying around.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
zot

They certainly have my vote!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
JLV

I own ALL of DCG's adventures, and I can tell you they would make a worthy contribution to the package.

Here's a couple of thoughts on this.

If Steve Jackson Games went this route, Dark City Games could give them a single adventure (all of them are good, you can't really go wrong, but a couple of them are better introductory adventures than others) "at cost" for printing for inclusion in the Legacy Edition box. This would serve two purposes -- it would provide an adventure that even the "old head" TFT players are not already familiar with and which differs fairly significantly from the Death Test paradigm. It would also serve as a form of advertising for Dark City Games and probably result in a ton of extra sales for them.

A second possibility: There are two free Fantasy adventures available on-line over at the Dark City Games web site. They could print those (or have you guys include them in the PDF and then print them for the boxed edition) in a combined bundle (just the rules/paragraphs) and have THEM included in the package as accessories for use with the "Melee" and "Wizard" counters and maps. Heck they wouldn't even lose any money on the deal because they already let anyone who wants them download them, and you'd be able to do the print job without any extra work on your part -- and we'd get hard-copies of the two "on-line only" adventures. I'd LOVE that. The two adventures are very different from each other and both are different from the Death Test adventures. Both of the advantages above would accrue -- to TFT by providing some examples of different adventures, and to Dark City Games by providing some advertising for their existing line of modules.

To me this is a win-win for both companies, and also sets the precedent in case Steve is planning on commissioning some microquests for TFT from Dark City Games at some point (which was in the wind a few months ago, though I don't know if both parties are still interested in that idea or not).

Edited to add: Two other points; one, I would pay more for a box including a Dark City Games module. Two, if all else fails, you could offer one as an "add on" so that George would know just how many he needs to print -- which would control his costs and SJG's costs. I'm sure there are a ton of logistical considerations which I lack insight into, but to quote the movie Red; "for every problem, there is a solution." ;-)

Last edited by JLV; 07-26-2018 at 11:30 AM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
The Wyzard

If DCG wanted to make a module that was sold as an add-on, I'd add it on I think.

I think they do neat things with the form, and I have a couple of their modules. The only complaint I have is that I think their guidance about what point-value of figure is appropriate for a module is sketchy or absent far too much of the time.

I actually just got a copy of Echoes of the Old Ones, and I was thinking of doing a Where I Play/Review of it.

Legends of the Ancient World is a neat little game, and it's actually what I'm using to introduce my 8yo to hobby games. It's quite possible to just "start" with LotAW and then add in the more full-blown TFT rules as you go and as you prefer.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:06 PM   #8
DarkPumpkin

I really hope they can work something out together. The DCG guys (Bret and George) deserve praise for all their great work over more than a decade now.

I suggest as a stretch goal, a discount code for backers to purchase DCG modules, or simply the modules as add-ons at a reasonable price.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:38 AM   #9
schoon

That would be really great if they can hash out the details.

I have nothing but positive things to say about Dark City
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:35 AM   #10
larsdangly

It would be nice if DCG could play Judge's Guild to Steve's TSR; if so, I would like them to put out some products that are directly compatible with the new edition, so you dont have to deal with merging PC's made under one set of constraints with NCPs and monsters made under another. PC's made with a 40 point stat cap and a bunch of novel talents will differ a lot from old style TFT characters. I intend to get my stack of setting materials converted over, though this will have to wait until the thing is published. Maybe a partner could get an early look at the changes that will have to be made.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote