Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-31-2018, 04:47 PM   #31
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Glossary - Subdual Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
That's pretty cinematic... unless hits stopped by armor also do subdual.
Hi ak_aramis, everyone.

TFT AS WRITTEN:
It is canon TFT, see AM page 26 under Taking Prisoners.

MY CAMPAIGN:
I always assumed that punches, hitting with the flat of the blade, and the blows described in those rules would heal faster than deep punctures and cuts. In my campaign, they heal 4 times faster

Since subdual damage in a thing in my campaign, I say that the first two points of falling damage are subdual damage. Bar fights give subdual damage and any place where people take 'less serious' wounds I might give out some subdual damage.

YOUR CAMPAIGN???
Your idea that some portion of the damage stopped by armor becomes subdual is realistic, but perhaps too complicated. As a sample rule:

-- The first point of damage which gets thru armor, is treated as subdual damage. For example: Joe has no armor and Fred has leather. Both are hit for 4 points of damage. Joe takes 4 hits. Fred takes 1 real hit, and 1 subdual hit.

Warm regards, Rick
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #32
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Glossary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I think we're supposed to be suggesting glossary terms from actual TFT, not from rules we are proposing or our house rules...
Hi JLV, everyone.
Subdual hits are in the old TFT. See Taking Prisoners. I'm just suggesting that this style of damage is given a name.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:35 PM   #33
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi JLV, everyone.
Subdual hits are in the old TFT. See Taking Prisoners. I'm just suggesting that this style of damage is given a name.
We always just call it either: "Hitting with the flat of the blade", or simply: "Hitting for 1/2 damage", or in the case of clubs and other impact weapons: "Pulling your blow".

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #34
Skarg

I'd be quite happy if there were a softer form of damage that wouldn't kill you and healed faster.

However, I hope it's not called "subdual" damage, because that is a term in D&D, which uses "abstract hit points" and represents who-knows-what, and so (in addition to reminding me about D&D, and also seeming like a weird choice of words to me) might tend to be confusing about what it represents.

Although Taking Prisoners is a rule, I don't think it really describes a separate type of damage in current Advanced Melee. To me it describes an intent for an attack, which has the effect that (unless you roll double or triple damage) the attack won't reduce ST below 1. But the damage isn't declared to be any different. i.e. if someone were down to 2 ST from such attacks and then a normal attack did another 2 damage, it looks like the target would die.

[howitzer]
I'm all for rules where ST loss from fatigue doesn't kill but can knock people out, and where there is a "soft" damage type that also doesn't kill and heals faster (so e.g. someone in a soft fist fight reduced to 2 ST would not be killed if someone then did a to-kill attack for 2 points damage).
[/howitzer]
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #35
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I'd be quite happy if there were a softer form of damage that wouldn't kill you and healed faster.

However, I hope it's not called "subdual" damage, because that is a term in D&D, which uses "abstract hit points" and represents who-knows-what, and so (in addition to reminding me about D&D, and also seeming like a weird choice of words to me) might tend to be confusing about what it represents.

Although Taking Prisoners is a rule, I don't think it really describes a separate type of damage in current Advanced Melee. To me it describes an intent for an attack, which has the effect that (unless you roll double or triple damage) the attack won't reduce ST below 1. But the damage isn't declared to be any different. i.e. if someone were down to 2 ST from such attacks and then a normal attack did another 2 damage, it looks like the target would die.

[howitzer]
I'm all for rules where ST loss from fatigue doesn't kill but can knock people out, and where there is a "soft" damage type that also doesn't kill and heals faster (so e.g. someone in a soft fist fight reduced to 2 ST would not be killed if someone then did a to-kill attack for 2 points damage).
[/howitzer]
Perhaps a "Striking to Stun" talent? Forces a check at (Damage/4) v ST to remain conscious.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote