Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-30-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
JLV

Default Quibble With "Superheroes in TFT" Rules

I'm going to float a quibble with the "Superheroes in TFT" article, specifically on the firearms part.

If, as I think is the case, the "combat round" being referred to in the article is a standard TFT turn, then the duration of that turn is one second. In the firearms section of the article, the author maintains that a revolver can be fired 5 times in a single "round" and even a 30-06 Rifle can be fired twice in one "round."

Now I'm not a shootin' enthusiast or anything, but I have fired both revolvers and bolt-action rifles, and revolvers don't fire any 300 rounds per minute, nor do bolt-action rifles fire any 120 rounds per minute. Basically, it takes about a second to pull the trigger on a revolver and then bring it back into line for a second shot. Likewise, pulling the trigger on a rifle takes roughly a second (if you're doing it right) and then you have to work the bolt and re-aim, which requires roughly another second. So, if you're thinking about using those rules, you might want to scale back the shots/round thing a bit and say that a revolver may be fired once per turn, and a bolt-action rifle may be fired once every other turn, with the intervening turn being used to "ready" the weapon again (by working the bolt to chamber the next round and settling back on the target). The SMG information is probably roughly in the ball-park depending on the SMG, though you may want to change the "bursts" to 3 rounds apiece, since most submachineguns don't really fire 600 rounds per minute as their cyclic rate of fire, and since every firearms instructor I ever knew in the military really beat into our heads the "three round burst" as our maximum shots at one time -- even with an M-60 Machinegun. (The idea is you can control a three-round burst's trajectory a lot better than if you are on "rock and roll" full automatic. Plus, you conserve ammunition -- always a consideration in a firefight.) Oh, and shotguns should probably only fire once per turn also...

I know; gun geekdom. But really, you'll find your characters survive a lot longer with more realistic rules than they will with the rules proposed in the article, as well as having a more "realistic" feel in the setting…

Oh, and it's probably worth adding that a semi-automatic firearm (like a Glock 9mm or an AR-15 might get off two rounds per turn, but that would be some incredibly rapid trigger pulls, and odds are the accuracy of the shots would be lacking -- if you want to try to do this, you should probably subtract -2 from DX for a skilled shooter and -4 from DX for an amateur for the second shot fired.

Last edited by JLV; 07-30-2018 at 11:20 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Quibble With "Superheroes in TFT" Rules

TFT turns are five seconds, not one. (GURPS turns are one second.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:26 AM   #3
JLV

D'oh. What was that old SNL skit with Gilda Radner as Emily something or other?

"Never mind."

LOL
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:55 AM   #4
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
D'oh. What was that old SNL skit with Gilda Radner as Emily something or other?

"Never mind."

LOL
Emily Latella.

"What's wrong with violins on televison?"

(long diatribe about music appreciation in schools)

"Ohhhhh.... Never mind, Chedder."
zot is offline   Reply With Quote