Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
madhopper50

Default Gurps Classic: Conan

Need some help with a question. How well can Gurps "Conan" be modified to play with TFT?
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Gurps Classic: Conan

Pretty darn easy, I would say.

GURPS Conan, like many GURPS world books, is mostly background material. Setting descriptions of nations, history, factions, etc. They give a consistent well-researched background with which a GM can start to develop the details of an RPG campaign.

There is some rules-specific content, but I feel it would be pretty simple to convert to TFT, though you would need to make some judgment calls on the conversions, there isn't all that much to do. It would be good if you were familiar with GURPS to have an idea how some things scale, but even that might not be particularly necessary.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #3
Anaraxes

You could pretty much take the stats as is, though you'll have to decide how you want to re-merge ST and HT ("Health", which among other things gives you hit points and fatigue). Average, highest, lowest, etc. Skills and Advantages will point you at Talents.

Then you can decide whether or not you like the result. Any conversion is probably best done to match the feel of the original, not by some unthinking algorithm. So you'll need to apply some judgement at some point, no matter what. But the above is what I'd start with just to see what ballpark I wound up in.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
larsdangly

I've used it for that purpose for several campaigns. It is very appropriate (and overall I would say the best single Conan supplement for any system). You will have to thoughtfully convert characters because of the differences between the systems. It is tempting to just use GURPS stats directly, but I don't think this is wise. But, if you understand how to GM TFT, you will have an intuitive feel as to how you should assign stats and talents to NPCs
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:01 AM   #5
madhopper50

Thanks for all the input. I've always been a Conan fan, so I guess I'll have to order the GURPS version.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
madhopper50

Just downloaded Conan, Beyond Thunder River & Queen of the Black Coast.