Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2017, 02:47 AM   #21
Icelander

Default Re: Optimized Shaolin Monk in a Western

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Vitals is a valid target for crushing attacks and a targeted attack can get the penalty down to -1, and if you miss the vitals by 1 you still get a torso hit so there's basically no downside to going for the vitals beyond the opportunity cost of striking somewhere else (head or groin as you mention).

You don't get the x3 wounding modifier like you would for any other attack type, but you do get the same knockdown rolls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Vitals can't be hit with Crushing attacks in Basic. Martial Arts allows it for kidneys, I think.
It's not like you can punch someone's heart, for example.
You punch them in the solar plexus instead. According to Martial Arts, Vitals are a valid hit location for crushing attacks, as Calvin points out. Crushing attacks to the Vitals do not do any more damage, but they do follow the normal Vitals rules for knockdown.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #22
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I can't help but think of the movie Shanghai Noon, and its sequel Shanghai Knights. Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson in "buddy cop" style.
Perhaps I am old, but I thought this was an attempt to build quai-chaing-kain from Kung-fu.

Seems a perfect fit to me.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #23
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearit View Post
Hey guys,
But feel free to post comments arguing for either a high strength build or a high dexterity build.
I like where you are headed. I'd spend points in Throwing, to use rocks, shot glasses, billiard balls, etc. Consider looking through Furious Fists from GURPS Action. Maybe get Fastest Gun in the West as a perk, except for Throwing or your Shuriken, or Zen Throwing, perhaps. Look in Gun Fu for the Gun Sense perk, it gives you a Per roll to know about the guns pointed at you. If you can't get any cinematic abilities, like Weapon Master, or skills from it, maybe see if the GM will allow a few perks, like Focused Fury for Extra Effort. Check out Disappear from p.16, and Very Rapid Strike, p.25. You will be at a huge disadvantage if he doesn't allow at least a little of the cinematic. Also, ask if Esoteric Medicine is a legit skill; you can then at least be the healer.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #24
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesJainchill View Post
Charles Bronson and IIRC, Toshiro Mifune teamed up in a western like that in the 70's, I believe.

Red Sun: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067770/...r/rm1293149184
Actually that is a cool idea, having it centered around a diplomatic mission.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #25
PTTG

If the GM is letting you play a monk in the wild west, then a little bit of cinematics is called for. Even if everything else is off the table, a level or two of Luck would be a good idea, and that (arguably) isn't outright cinematic.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Perhaps I am old, but I thought this was an attempt to build quai-chaing-kain from Kung-fu.

Seems a perfect fit to me.
Old if you only thought of the original, and not of The Legend Continues "sequel" series. Both cheesy, but in different ways.

Tags
fighter, martial arts, melee, monk, optimization