Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Powerstone gems

A powerstone (previously know as ST battery) can potentially hold hundreds of ST to draw from, though it would take a long time to build one up that high.

Has anyone ever created rules for requiring specific gems or quality in order to support higher ST capacity? The rules simply say the stone must be worth at least $1000 which could be interpreted to imply there might be some correlation between the stone's value and it's capacity.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
ecz

Default Re: Powerstone gems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
A powerstone (previously know as ST battery) can potentially hold hundreds of ST to draw from, though it would take a long time to build one up that high.

Has anyone ever created rules for requiring specific gems or quality in order to support higher ST capacity? The rules simply say the stone must be worth at least $1000 which could be interpreted to imply there might be some correlation between the stone's value and it's capacity.
This is good reason to create a house rule. For sure the rules do not require a particular gem for high capacity batteries.

Such a house rule makes sense.
I could suggest the gem must have a value of at least the 5% (in thousands $) of the total ST capacity:

$ 1000 up to ST 20
$ 2000 up to ST 40
$ 3000 up to ST 60
... and so on

or the 10% if the GM is particularly evil
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 AM   #3
Skarg

GURPS Magic circa 1986 had powerstones limited to ST by karat weight/value of the gem used, yes. Current GURPS Magic has a polynomial formula for the cost, so it isn't just linear, making smaller stones inexpensive but powerful ones really expensive.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
larsdangly

Elric's Ruby Throne might be a good candidate for the gem required for a several hundred point Powerstone.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
Spell Stone [The procedure for creating an ST battery is not one I am fond of, but I do not feel right about changing it. Currently, a second name is out there called a Power Stone. I don't know the particulars of that one either. So, I had the inspiration, or nightmare, for something similar that I am calling a Spell Stone.]

The Spell Stone is a spell that a low level wizard can cast. Anyone who uses magic can create this if they have the Staff spell. The Spell Stone spell is an offshoot of the Staff spell. To create a Spell Stone, the wizard must cast the spell on a gem with a value of $1,000 SP. The wizard uses 5 ST to create the Spell Stone and then for each 5 additional ST put into the Spell Stone, it stores 1 ST. The ST used for the Spell Stone must come from the wizard, not Aid spells or ST batteries or Drain ST spells. The procedure can last up to a day (24 hours) but must be completed in that time. ST must be entered in increments of 5. The wizard can rest to restore his ST between increments, but the casting must be completed in the allotted time. The Spell Stone can contain an amount of ST equal to the wizard's IQ but no more. A wizard can only have one Spell Stone at a time. Once the Spell stone is created, filled and finalized, it functions like an ST battery that the wizard or another can use to power spells. Drained ST is recovered at a slower rate than a staff, up to 4 ST per day. The Spell Stone does not replace the wizards staff, and indeed, they cannot be used together. The staff can be used or the stone. The wizard can carry both but has to decide.

I'll probably get roasted for posting this, but, if someone else likes it, feel free to use it.
I like it. Seems like what the powerstone should have been.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
hcobb

Casting any enchantment on a raw irregular unfinished gem is only going to blow it up.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Casting any enchantment on a raw irregular unfinished gem is only going to blow it up.
Spell idea: Prepare Gem. It turns an uncut gemstone into the optimum shape for a powerstone. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
hcobb

Summon Myrmidon ST 8, DX 12, IQ 12
Armed with gem working tools
Goldsmith, Recognize Value, Assess Value, Literacy, etc.