Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2019, 04:11 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default DR that prevents only damage?

Hello!

So, let's assume we have a character that is hard to actually hurt, but still feels the full pain from attacks. Thus, they suffer full stun, shock, and so on from attacks, they just don't get lasting damage.

That's DR with a limitation I suppose, but how much of a limitation would that be?
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:22 AM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: DR that prevents only damage?

If you go DR, then it has to be high enough to cover the most powerful attack in your game world.

OR

Unkillable 3 with regen.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

I would actually classify that as a limitation on Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction). A -20% limitations feels right if you suffer knockdown, major wounds, shock, stun, etc. based on the final damage rather than the final injury. I would also require unconsciousness checks if the final damage before division from a single attack was greater than HP and a death check if the final damage before division from a single attack was greater than HP×2. For example, someone with HP 12 and Damage Reduction (/5) who suffered 20 points of damage after DR would suffer only 4 points of injury, but they would effectively suffer a major wound and would check for unconsciousness as if they had suffered 20 points of injury.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
That's DR with a limitation I suppose, but how much of a limitation would that be?
Hmmm. I'd eyeball it right around 40%. It's a pretty hefty drawback, but nowhere near as bad as having suffered the actual damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
If you go DR, then it has to be high enough to cover the most powerful attack in your game world.
Not even a little.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post

Not even a little.
I blame lack of sleep. :D

My thought was:

Damage is still rolled to determine knockback, stun, shock, and knockdown. No injury happens.

And then sleep me said "hey! That makes him unkillable right? I'll post that!"
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Hello!

So, let's assume we have a character that is hard to actually hurt, but still feels the full pain from attacks. Thus, they suffer full stun, shock, and so on from attacks, they just don't get lasting damage.

You know you get pretty much that effect just by getting Instant Regeneration.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
I blame lack of sleep. :D

My thought was:

Damage is still rolled to determine knockback, stun, shock, and knockdown. No injury happens.

And then sleep me said "hey! That makes him unkillable right? I'll post that!"
My response was to "has to be high enough to cover the most powerful attack" because that's not even a little bit required.

Doing this:

DR 20 (Only Stops Damage, -XX%).

Means that something stops 20 damage, but does not reduce applied Shock Penalties, they still have to make Knockdown and Stun checks, and might have to check versus Unconsciousness*.

This is probably best represented descriptively by "and the wounds close as fast as they appear" up to a certain amount of wounds. No, I'm not going to bother attempting to justify, it because honestly I don't care to. I have seen this in others games, granted those systems worked differently than GURPS...

Would I ever allow this in my games? Well... honestly if the Player can justify how it works within the metarules of the genre, it would fit within the game and the tone, sure.

* Depends on the the justification of why they are taking Shock and Stun/Knockdown bu no damage. 99% percent sure I'd require Unconsciousness checks if the "takes no damage" amount would take them past requiring onel. But, since there is no actual damage, I wouldn't require Death Checks. Fiddly? You betcha.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
You know you get pretty much that effect just by getting Instant Regeneration.
That's an entirely different* effect actually... and costs way more points.

* Depends on the actual effect you want and certain genre settings/assumptions in the game.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
That's an entirely different* effect actually... and costs way more points.
Mechanically, yes, but it fits the description of "hard to hurt but still feels the full pain from attacks".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Hmmm. I'd eyeball it right around 40%. It's a pretty hefty drawback, but nowhere near as bad as having suffered the actual damage.
I don't think it's that big a drawback.

Low-Pain Threshold is only a -10 point disadvantage, and High-Pain Threshold is only a 10 point advantage, I'd call it a -10% limitation. I could probably be talked into -20% as that reduces the base cost from 5 to 4 (and convenient numbers are always better), but I think -10% is closer. I mean, All-or-Nothing is only -10% and that seems to be a much bigger limitation.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote