Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Colarmel

Default Warp (Along a specific Medium)

I'm trying to stat a super with transportation like Livewire (DC) where travel is at the speed of electricity along power lines. Practically speaking, this is warp with an accessibility modifier right? How much would you modify it.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Warp (Along a specific Medium)

-20%, if you can go through any (open) outlet. Worth a bit more if you actually have to touch a power line to poof.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
I'm trying to stat a super with transportation like Livewire (DC) where travel is at the speed of electricity along power lines. Practically speaking, this is warp with an accessibility modifier right? How much would you modify it.
I'd actually build it with Permeation. Funnily enough, "electricity" is a barrier in some instances (e.g., electric fence). I'd call that occasional (or possibly rare). For a game I ran I'd probably do it like this:

Permeation (Electricity) (Can Carry Objects, No Encumbrance, +10%; Extended, Barrier material for electric barriers, +20%; Meld 2, +300%) [43]

So you can transport yourself along power lines throughout the world as long as they are connected to one another with a single Ready Manevour.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
lvalero

With "Permeation", you would move at "normal walk" speed.

Basic Set. p75
Quote:
You are affected by gravity, and you are limited to normal movement;
if you lack Flight or another movement advantage, you must walk at your Basic Move
If you want to move at "electricity speed" I suppose you need some sort of super-speed with accesibility "Only while permeating electricity"
Old 01-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
Humabout

Im in the Warp camp here. Its too fast for Permeation and electricity in and of itself is never a barrier. The barrier in an electric fence is the fence, not the electric. I'd probably call this -20% also for wall sockets as an entry point in the modern world. That lets you teleport anywhere in the world that has power, which is basically Warp (not into or out of wilderness).

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post

Basic Set. p75

If you want to move at "electricity speed" I suppose you need some sort of super-speed with accesibility "Only while permeating electricity"
That's a fair point. Enhanced Move (Ground) (Only while traveling via Permeation, 60%) might be fair.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
Effectively, it's an ability that functions only some places (in this case, ones that happen to be near power lines). Those are hard to price because it depends on how much of the action is going to be set at those places. It's not even something you can price by *world*. If you are doing a modern urban investigation campaign, it's basically -0%, because everything important happens in or near a building wired for electricity. If you are doing a military campaign set in exactly the same world, it's a real limitation, because a lot of the significant scenes will be set on battlefields well away from the grid.

Be careful about allowing too much though. Even if you may plan for a game to alternate between two regions about evenly, you may find the players are only interested in one of them and spend all their play time there, and if they got a big discount on powers that only work in one of them, that's an *incentive* for them to decide to spend all their time in the one where they work.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Thinking about this a bit more - is the character who possesses this ability exactly like Livewire? Because she does a lot of tricky stuff like popping out a electric wall socket to sucker punch someone only to go right back into the wall socket. She also used the electrical grid as a way to spy on others and at one point attacked from a transformer without ever actually appearing - these are all things Permeation with Meld can do that Warp cannot. So I suppose if you are just moving along - go with Warp. But if you want more versatility I'd go with Permeation. (I read Livewire in your original post and that was what I went with.)

Become a Patron!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #9
nondescript handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post

Basic Set. p75
Not with the Meld 2 enhancement: "(...) With Permeation (Earth), you could meld with the ground at your feet to cross the entire planet in the blink of an eye (...)", see Powers p67.
nondescript handle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #10
SRoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Im in the Warp camp here. Its too fast for Permeation and electricity in and of itself is never a barrier. The barrier in an electric fence is the fence, not the electric. I'd probably call this -20% also for wall sockets as an entry point in the modern world. That lets you teleport anywhere in the world that has power, which is basically Warp (not into or out of wilderness).
So, how do you get from the US to Europe? I suspect there is some power sold back and forth across the US-Canada border, or US-Mexico border, but I haven't heard of any trans-Atlantic, or trans-Pacific high power lines.

Now, moving through telecommunications systems would be different.
SRoach is offline   Reply With Quote