Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Greyling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default Weapon Master and Weapon Bond

Would the Weapon Master Advantage that works only for a weapon that has been bought as Signature Gear with Weapon Bond qualifiy for the One Attack Only:-60% Limitation?
Sorry if that topic has come up before, but I couldn't find anything relating to that in the forum.
Greyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Weapon Master and Weapon Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyling View Post
Would the Weapon Master Advantage that works only for a weapon that has been bought as Signature Gear with Weapon Bond qualifiy for the One Attack Only:-60% Limitation?
Sorry if that topic has come up before, but I couldn't find anything relating to that in the forum.
Not the Weapon Master Advantage. One Attack only at that limitation value is for Striking ST, which you could take it on.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: Weapon Master and Weapon Bond

One Attack Only is a specific limitation for Striking ST, as per Powers p79. That means the only thing you can apply it to is Striking ST.

What you want is Weapon Master (this specific weapon), which is 20 points, as per Basic p99. Buying such a weapon as Signature Gear is strongly recommended so that it stays around, and Weapon Bond is appropriate.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Greyling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default Re: Weapon Master and Weapon Bond

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I'll have to go with the 20 point weapon master then, and buy some Striking ST while dropping overall strength to pay for the weapon master:-D
Greyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Weapon Master and Weapon Bond

It isn't RAW, But I would let you take "this Longsword only" instead of "any Longsword" for a 10 or 15 points, but this is house rule territory.

By comparison to the Gunslinger breakdowns, "this specific weapon" is worth -80% from unmodified Weapon Master, or 9 points... so pretty close.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: Weapon Master and Weapon Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
What you want is Weapon Master (this specific weapon), which is 20 points, as per Basic p99. Buying such a weapon as Signature Gear is strongly recommended so that it stays around, and Weapon Bond is appropriate.
Correct for one weapon, but I think it'd be reasonable to say that Weapon Master (all my weapons that are bought as Signature Gear and for which I have Weapon Bond) is 25 CP.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: Weapon Master and Weapon Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
It isn't RAW, But I would let you take "this Longsword only" instead of "any Longsword" for a 10 or 15 points, but this is house rule territory.
I'd go for at least 15 CP, and even then I'd be sceptical. And I'd insist on Weapon Bond too, for a total cost of 16 CP. I don't much like how GURPS RAW does Signature Gear, so I wouldn't insist on that.

And I think 18 CP would be even better, Weapon Master (Longsword), -10% Only This Particular Longsword, plus 1 CP Weapon Bond Perk, total 19 CP.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Weapon Master and Weapon Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I'd go for at least 15 CP, and even then I'd be sceptical. And I'd insist on Weapon Bond too, for a total cost of 16 CP. I don't much like how GURPS RAW does Signature Gear, so I wouldn't insist on that.

And I think 18 CP would be even better, Weapon Master (Longsword), -10% Only This Particular Longsword, plus 1 CP Weapon Bond Perk, total 19 CP.
I think going from any longsword to "this" longsword should be worth more than a 2 point difference.

The more I think about it the more I think the Gunslinger like approach of 80% off the full 45 points is the best way to go.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #9
munin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vermont, USA
Default Re: Weapon Master and Weapon Bond

I actually consider the "base cost" of Weapon Master to be an even [50] points, from which "[only] all muscle-powered weapons" is -10% to get [45]. So "this particular weapon only, -80%" would be [10].
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
GWJ
 
GWJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: Weapon Master and Weapon Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
To be honest, I'd dispense with all the modifiers and simply allow a 15-point version of Weapon Master. It fits the listed progression:

All Weapons [45] > All bladed weapons [40] > All swords [35] > All samurai swords (katana, nodachi, tanto, wakizashi) [30] > Daisho (katana & wakizashi) [25] > Katana* [20] > My katana [15]

Given that the potential benefits include halved penalties for Rapid Strike and multiple parries (an effective +3 or +4 skill for these purposes) and +2 damage per die, I would not go lower. Not if I wanted a balanced starting PC.

--

* By the way, we do mean a specific weapon and not a weapon skill. If you're a master with the katana, the benefits of WM apply whether you use it with one hand (Broadsword) or two (Two-Handed Sword) . . . and even if you somehow contrive to throw it. But they don't apply to any other use of Broadsword, Two-Handed Sword, or this putative Thrown Weapon (Sword) skill.
I think this is clear enough for you :)
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bond, master, signature gear, weapon

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.