Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Rabek

Default [G4e] Custom Items

I poked a few pages into the forums, but I didn't know what keywords to use to search for this. Apologies if a thread already exists. Please point me to it if it does.

How would one go about creating a custom item in GURPS rules?

Say, for example, you wanted a sword that could, with the flip of a switch, light on fire for burning damage, or let out a poison for corrosive damage, or whatever. How would you build that?

The key point is that it's tied to the sword, and the sword has multiple powers. So I assume striker/innate attack/etc wouldn't be purchased for the owning character.

Note that I'm interested in utilizing RAW. No house rules or anything, if possible.

Last edited by Rabek; 09-13-2013 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Clarifying RAW
Rabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [G4e] Custom Items

The sword itself could either have Innate Attacks, or it could use Imbue.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Varyon

If the sword is relatively unique (can't be purchased), you can build it as an Innate Attack with Gadget Limitations. The different "modes" (burning, corrosion, etc) would be Alternate Abilities.

If it can be purchased, you might be able to get away with enchanting it with the various special abilities, then justify a price reduction by specifying only one is on at a time.

The final option I have for you may be the best, but will (probably) require an additional purchase on your part - I think Metatronic Generators (from Pyramid #3/46) will allow you to build this exactly, with proper weights, item cost, etc. I make no guarantees, however, as I'm only familiar with it from some mentions on these fora.

Hope that helps.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Mr_Sandman

If the sword isn't made as part of character creation, a GM doesn't really need to stat it, just describe what it can do.

If it is something you are creating as part of making a character, then give the character the advantages with Gadget limitation.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
vierasmarius

There's a Pyramid article that addresses this exact issue: Metatronic Generators from Pyramid #3/46. It basically lets you build a device using character points, then convert that into a dollar cost. Designed initially for the Weird Science inventions of mad scientists, it works equally well for arcane constructs.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
DangerousThing

My best guess at what you want from your note is the magical enchantment rules. However there are other ways to go about this.

If you want to make this a purely physical device (no magic) then you might want to use the inventions rules, if a PC is inventing it, otherwise the GM just stats and prices it.

Or it could be made as an innate attack with the gadget limit.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to confuse you. There are a lot of ways to do anything in GURPS.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Rabek

Don't mean to be a pain or nitpicky; I just want to clarify some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
The sword itself could either have Innate Attacks, or it could use Imbue.
Do you build the sword as a character somehow? How would you price such a thing if someone wanted to buy it in a store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
If the sword is relatively unique (can't be purchased), you can build it as an Innate Attack with Gadget Limitations. The different "modes" (burning, corrosion, etc) would be Alternate Abilities.

If it can be purchased, you might be able to get away with enchanting it with the various special abilities, then justify a price reduction by specifying only one is on at a time.

The final option I have for you may be the best, but will (probably) require an additional purchase on your part - I think Metatronic Generators (from Pyramid #3/46) will allow you to build this exactly, with proper weights, item cost, etc. I make no guarantees, however, as I'm only familiar with it from some mentions on these fora.

Hope that helps.
I'll look into those, thanks.

As for the gadget limitation, would that allow the weapon to be given to other people to be used?

Thanks for all the responses so quickly.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Rabek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
My best guess at what you want from your note is the magical enchantment rules. However there are other ways to go about this.

If you want to make this a purely physical device (no magic) then you might want to use the inventions rules, if a PC is inventing it, otherwise the GM just stats and prices it.

Or it could be made as an innate attack with the gadget limit.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to confuse you. There are a lot of ways to do anything in GURPS.
I should probably clarify that the OP was just an example. Say I want to stat something completely from scratch... i.e. I make up a sniper rifle that shoots magic plasma or something. How do I, in GURPS, decide what stats it should have, how it works, and the cost?

I don't like just making it up with no guidelines, since I do not trust myself to balance things appropriately.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
Varyon

From what I've read, Metatronic Generators is probably the way to go for building new items from scratch, if you don't trust yourself to make a fair price and stats.

As for Gadgets, if it's built with Can Be Stolen (Immediately Useful to the Thief), I suppose you could hand it off to someone else for them to use it. The trade off, of course, is that you are effectively a lower point character while they are using it, so it's probably not too unbalanced.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabek View Post
Do you build the sword as a character somehow? How would you price such a thing if someone wanted to buy it in a store?
The previously linked Metatronic Generators will allow you to build the sword as a character, and then convert it into a dollar cost.

And yes, Gadget limitations (usually) mean you can give the sword to somebody else, or that it can be stolen.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, g4e, weapon