Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
ajardoor

Default [DF] Show Us Your Random Encounter Tables

See thread title.

No context needed.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: [DF] Show Us Your Random Encounter Tables

Unfortunately, I don't have any to show you (BTW, you're the same Ajardoor from the RPG.net forums right? I'm the same Kuroshima from there, playing in one of your games). I think that DFM is still too new, and too short, for decent random encounter tables. I would love for a set of tables that game you random encounters as a function of terrain and some other variables, and it would fit perfectly into the old school vive of DF. Now, I feel that we need a couple more DFM books before that's possible.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Stone Dog

I tend to use the Reaction Table for a lot of things like this. I got the general idea from GURPS Goblins. I'll throw one together right now, but it is just something off the top of my head.

Roll 3 dice and apply any modifiers.

0 or less: Disastrous. Dragons. Plural. Angry ones.

1 to 3: Very Bad. Hostile elements who are all fired up to take the party down.

4 to 6: Bad. Hostile elements who are looking for a scrap, but aren't dead set on one.

7 to 9: Poor. Hostile elements who may not want to fight the PCs, but will take no crap from them if they get uppity.

10 to 12: Neutral. Natural animals, standard caravans and the like. Harmless color with a possible opportunity for aid for standard cost/risk.

13 to 15: Good. Peaceful encounters with helpful elements. Probable aid with decent cost/risk.

16 to 18: Very Good. Peaceful encounters with benevolent elements. Probable aid with little or nothing to risk.

19 or better: Excellent. Unguarded treasure or stumbling on Gandalf in a generous mood.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
I tend to use the Reaction Table for a lot of things like this. I got the general idea from GURPS Goblins. I'll throw one together right now, but it is just something off the top of my head.
<SNIP>
I like this suggestion. You could even apply "Reaction Modifiers" to it. For example, if the party is moving carefully and covering it's trail they get a bonus, or if they're stomping around arguing loudly they have a penalty. This also lets you reuse the same chart for regions with different risk levels. You can build one "swamp terrain" encounter chart, and throw on a Negative "Reaction" mod while traveling through the Grim-Dark Bog of Sudden Dismemberment.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Evil Roy Slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I think that DFM is still too new, and too short, for decent random encounter tables. I would love for a set of tables that game you random encounters as a function of terrain and some other variables, and it would fit perfectly into the old school vive of DF. Now, I feel that we need a couple more DFM books before that's possible.
I dunno: I think this is a manifestation of the evergreen GURPS Has No Monsters meme. By my count, the listings in the DF series in the back pages of Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1 run to about 120 critters, and the subsequent release of DF14: Psi, brought that up by almost ten more. Add in the Animals in the relevant chapter of the basic set -- surely your wandering adventurers must fight wolves now and again --and we must be closing in on 150. I suspect a fair number of DF players have access to Fantasy and Banestorm as well, and these must swell the total to, what, 175 or thereabouts?

My recollection of the old school gaming that DF is supposed to evoke was light on monster stats as well. My 1970s Basic D&D set listed maybe a third that number, and it certainly had random encounter tables. The 1st Edition AD&D Monster Manual claims "Over 350 Monsters" on the back cover blurb but I count just barely over 200 headwords. Admittedly, the richer headwords get any number of subheadings (demons, devils, dinosaurs, and dragons stretch out the D section to 20 pages), but to count the three variants of Boar -- 'Wild Boar,' 'Giant Boar,' and 'Warthog' -- as three distinct monsters takes some fine slicing. In any event, the DMG provided twenty pages of encounter tables.

For that matter, the original Little Black Books of Traveller had encounter tables without monsters: a table or two that would generate if the encounter was an herbivore, omnivore, etc, then a series of subsequent tables to generate their size, natural attacks, armour, reactions, speed, etc.
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
ajardoor

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have any to show you (BTW, you're the same Ajardoor from the RPG.net forums right? I'm the same Kuroshima from there, playing in one of your games).
Yeah, hello there.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
ClayDowling

Quote:
I think that DFM is still too new, and too short, for decent random encounter tables. I would love for a set of tables that game you random encounters as a function of terrain and some other variables, and it would fit perfectly into the old school vive of DF. Now, I feel that we need a couple more DFM books before that's possible.
Allow me to point you to http://www.claydowling.com/articles/...monsters-gurps
Old 09-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Bruno

I generally won't put "mundane" animals under about 500 lbs on a random encounter table as an actual combat encounter. Wolves are just not dangerous to a group of four to six armed and violent people with metal armor on most or all of their bits. Even the upgraded wolves in DF5:Allies.

A small group of wild hogs might go on the list, simply because hogs can get big, will pick fights, and WILL fight to the death (unlike most animals).

However, I would put Berserker Fire Wolves or Chaos Electricity Wolves or Ravenous Undead Wolves on a list :) They may not be really tough, but they're a lot more interesting :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Bruno

Which leads me to the thought that I need a random-prefix table.

I'm going to go change over the laundry, but after that I'll see if I can cook one up for y'all.

EDIT: Roll 1d6 twice to generate a random prefix :)

Roll 1 --- Roll 2 --- Prefix
1-2 --- 1 --- Berserker
1-2 --- 2 --- Chaos
1-2 --- 3 --- Determined
1-2 --- 4 --- Distorted
1-2 --- 5 --- Juggernaut
1-2 --- 6 --- Ravenous
3-4 --- 1 --- Elemental: Acid
3-4 --- 2 --- Elemental: Cold
3-4 --- 3 --- Elemental: Electricity
3-4 --- 4 --- Elemental: Energy Drain
3-4 --- 5 --- Elemental: Fire
3-4 --- 6 --- Elemental: Poison
5 --- 1-2 --- Ghostly
5 --- 3 --- Posessed
5 --- 4 --- Psycho Killer
5 --- 5-6 --- Undead
6 --- any --- Roll twice for two prefixes. If you roll this result again, roll for THREE prefixes, and so forth.

You could also turn 6: two prefixes into "6 --- 1-5 --- No prefixes at all" and "6 --- 6 --- two prefixes" but I think that's boring myself :)

Last edited by Bruno; 09-11-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
jacobmuller

DIY? With a little work you could use this
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, random encounters