Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
Phil Masters

Default Re: [DF] Clerics

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Sometimes PCs are converted during play.
And, in the fine tradition of Call of Cthulhu, they become NPCs.

Quote:
Also, insane gods are fun for the DM.
As I said, insane is for NPCs (which this book isn't).
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshisabi View Post
I was browsing e23 and I saw that DF7: Clerics was available to purchase, so I thought it might have been a prerelease or something, since I didn't see an announcement on the Daily Illuminator.
Daily Illum is where I saw it and I've been succeeding my Compulsive Behaviour rolls but it's a close call. Gonna fail somewhen.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
And, in the fine tradition of Call of Cthulhu, they become NPCs.

As I said, insane is for NPCs (which this book isn't).
I wasn't saying that DF clerics should have insane gods and their clerics, I was just saying that a book about them would be useful to DMs.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
HuManBing
Banned

Excellent! I was just starting the daunting process of statting out the deities of my Ravenloft conversion (and bewailing the fact that GURPS Religion is not out on .pdf format). This DF Clerics supplement will be a huge help!

Thumbsup to SJGames yet again!
HuManBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuManBing View Post
(and bewailing the fact that GURPS Religion is not out on .pdf format).
Oh, but it is. http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG30-6510
Grouchy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
HuManBing
Banned

Nicely! For some reason, all my prior searches only turned up the print version. Buying the .pdf now!

That's another thing about SJGames. I can't explain why, but I have a much greater willingness to get their products not just legitimately, but specifically on first-sale from them (so they get the sale price, not some middleman seller). Maybe it's because of the high quality of their stuff. Or maybe I have a 5-point Sense of Duty to them...
HuManBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
PK

One fact that may not have gotten enough hype is that this book isn't just for clerics -- it's got stuff in there for every character with a connection to the divine. In fact, it could have quite reasonably been called "DF Clerics, Holy Warriors, Druids, etc.," except that would've made for a really cumbersome title. :)

So, if I may shill for a moment . . .

Clerics can use 95% of the book, obviously -- everything except the Holy Warrior boxes. For every type of god, they get roleplaying advice, details for their Holy abilities (including elements for their Divine Servitors), a brand new lens for their template, and a new list of spells. All awesome stuff to be sure.

But holy warriors get nearly as much -- I'd say about 80% of the book applies to them. Because they get everything the clerics do (including a new lens for each type of god!); only the new spells (and cleric lens) aren't directly useful for 'em.

Druids won't find useful information in every section, but all of the "natural" gods (The Hunt, etc.) have a lens for converting the druid template over to a priest of the nature god, including new spells. Sometimes this is in addition to the cleric lens and sometimes it replaces it. So druids will be able to use somewhere around 25% of this book as a "splatbook," too!

Even other characters will benefit from the "choosing a god" advice, and there are some neat easter eggs for other characters (bet you never thought to build a holy warrior with the scout template, eh?). And obviously this is a must-have for the GM if he wants to populate his world with a pantheon -- it takes GURPS Religion-style advice and boils it down to simple, Dungeon-Fantasy-style guidelines.

Heck, we probably should've called it Dungeon Fantasy: Divinity, but then people might think it was about candies . . .

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:00 PM   #18
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Even other characters will benefit from the "choosing a god" advice, and there are some neat easter eggs for other characters (bet you never thought to build a holy warrior with the scout template, eh?). And obviously this is a must-have for the GM if he wants to populate his world with a pantheon -- it takes GURPS Religion-style advice and boils it down to simple, Dungeon-Fantasy-style guidelines.

Heck, we probably should've called it Dungeon Fantasy: Divinity, but then people might think it was about candies . . .
I am getting together some material for a possible submission of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Greece with templates for clerics of each of the gods and also some rules for demigods and other powerful spirits. It will have a lot of monsters from Greek myths too. I am assuming that the DF world is chock full of deities and that there is only a little friction between pantheons and most of the friction is between moral forces so the good forces of Olympus and Asgard would unite against evil gods like Loki, Surt, Hecate and Ares.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:06 PM   #19
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
I am getting together some material for a possible submission of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Greece with templates for clerics of each of the gods and also some rules for demigods and other powerful spirits. It will have a lot of monsters from Greek myths too. I am assuming that the DF world is chock full of deities and that there is only a little friction between pantheons and most of the friction is between moral forces so the good forces of Olympus and Asgard would unite against evil gods like Loki, Surt, Hecate and Ares.
Ares wasn't viewed as an Evil god, Actually Balder and Thor would get along famously with him.

and Loki was more a Chaos domain than Evil, "Lies and trickery"
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Ares wasn't viewed as an Evil god, Actually Balder and Thor would get along famously with him.
Though often referred to as the Olympian god of warfare, he is more accurately the god of bloodlust, or slaughter personified.

Tags
clerics, dungeon fantasy