Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #21
Clipper

Default Re: Ruling combat involving Wandering Monster with Wannabe Vampire against a Cleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSnah42 View Post
I wanted to visit this question again with a question. If the monsters in combat gain the positives and the negatives of other monsters in combat, cant she just have said oggada boogada boo and both run away? She should get the levels and treasures of both then, correct?
I think you are confusing something, probably related to this FAQ question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
Q. What about during the combat? You said they fight side by side. Does that mean if one monster is affected (positively or negatively) by fire/flame weapons that all of them are?
A. Exactly. A monster's immunity (or weakness) is given to all others in the fight.
That doesn't mean that the monsters have the same abilities. It just means that if one of the monsters is immune to fire, then your fire abilities don't count, even if there are some monsters present that wouldn't normally be immune. However, if the weakness of one monster is, say, a -5 when fighting elves, it doesn't mean that the other monsters are all at -5 against an elf too, but that the whole set of monsters is at a -5.

The 'booga booga' keyword only scares away the Wannabe Vampire. It's only weaknesses that last while the monster is still around to fight that affect the entire group of monsters.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
LordSnah42

Default Re: Ruling combat involving Wandering Monster with Wannabe Vampire against a Cleric

Can I get a moderators clarification on this please. Andrew, anyone? Because, it still seems to me that both monsters would have the weakness of having to run away since the wanna be vampire monsters weakness is for a cleric to say that and that happens. Just like if a monster had a weakness, as the quote says, to fire all monsters in combat would have it! Soooooooo.........
LordSnah42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
MunchkinMan

It only applies to the Wannabe Vampire. Since I said it, that makes it official. This is not some weakness that allows someone to get an added bonus under some circumstance that someone could argue gets canceled because the other Monsters don't have the same weakness...
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
LordSnah42

TY very much MuchkinMan! Your ruling makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Unfortunately, I saw it the other way, which made all the other cards in question make sense. So now, I'm left with what is a weakness exactly? The Frost Giant reads: Any fire or flame does double damage against it. That doesnt say weakness, but sounds just like a weakness. The Large Angry Chicken reads: Fried chicken is delicious. Gain an extra level if you defeat it with fire or flame. That doesnt really sound like a weakness, but I thought it was. Maybe even a clarification on weaknesses or strengths that WOULD carry over to other monsters, 'cuz this thread also states that a monster gaining a +5 against someone would just be that one monster in combat, not others that may have been wandered in. Maybe a guideline on these could be produced kind of like what was done with whats allowed for the Cheat! card? I stand corrected also on my original thought of the wife saying booga booga and getting the level. The wannabe vampire states that you dont gain the level.
LordSnah42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #25
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSnah42 View Post
TY very much MuchkinMan! Your ruling makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Unfortunately, I saw it the other way, which made all the other cards in question make sense. So now, I'm left with what is a weakness exactly? The Frost Giant reads: Any fire or flame does double damage against it. That doesnt say weakness, but sounds just like a weakness.
It is a weakness, yes. And it applies to the group. For example, the Frost Giant has a level of 15. Let's say you somehow had two items that both provide a +8 fire-based bonus (these items don't exist, but it's an example). Even though either item when doubled is enough to kill the monster, you will still double both bonuses (i.e., the total from these two items would be +32) if you are fighting something else as well. Your buddies can't claim that you can only use one item against the Frost Giant and the other item against the other monster as the group has a weakness against fire for the time being. This is similar to the immunity ruling as you can't choose to use the fire weapon against a creature that isn't normally immune to fire if there is a monster in the battle that is immune.

Quote:
The Large Angry Chicken reads: Fried chicken is delicious. Gain an extra level if you defeat it with fire or flame. That doesnt really sound like a weakness, but I thought it was.
It is a weakness too. If you used a fire weapon or attack in the battle, you draw an extra treasure for the group. You don't draw an extra treasure per monster.

And if you were facing the Large Angry Chicken and the Frost Giant and you had one fire based item, the bonus would be doubled and you'd get the extra level. Nobody would be able to argue that you need to choose which one you use the item against.

Quote:
Maybe even a clarification on weaknesses or strengths that WOULD carry over to other monsters, 'cuz this thread also states that a monster gaining a +5 against someone would just be that one monster in combat, not others that may have been wandered in. Maybe a guideline on these could be produced kind of like what was done with whats allowed for the Cheat! card? I stand corrected also on my original thought of the wife saying booga booga and getting the level. The wannabe vampire states that you dont gain the level.
It would be hard to come up with a definition that will cover every monster (although it would be great to be proven wrong). The general rules seem to be that things that force a creature out of the battle are not shared by everything, and weaknesses apply to the group and thus don't stack for each monster.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clerics, combat rules, wandering monster, wanna be vampire