Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
blacksmith

Default Re: RPM[MH]- RPM, charms, and weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Well guns themselves are not small and breakable, but something like small stones set in the grip. I will edit the original post for clarification.
Just toss a duration on the effect and it need not take up a charm slot.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
So I have an RPM mage, and while her abilities to augment the party are awesome as is her toolbox of 'things I can do'; I was trying to figure out a way to make her more combat applicable...
One of the things my group is trying is to have the witch pre-prepare conditional spells for use in combat. Like an old D&D mage.

Examples:

Fireball: create energy [6], 3d+6 burn damage [2], lesser control magic [5], 1 greater effect [*3] = 39 energy

Force Blade: create energy [6], 3d+6 cut damage [3], lesser control magic [5], 1 greater effect [*3] = 42 energy

Energy Drain: create energy [6], 3d+3 fat damage [2], lesser control magic [5], 1 greater effect [*3] = 39 energy

Lightning Bolt: create energy [6], 3d+6 burn damage [2], lesser control magic [5], Surge & Sideeffect: stun [3], 1 greater effect [*3] = 45 energy

Hope these help.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
Mathulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
One of the things my group is trying is to have the witch pre-prepare conditional spells for use in combat. Like an old D&D mage.

Examples:

Fireball: create energy [6], 3d+6 burn damage [2], lesser control magic [5], 1 greater effect [*3] = 39 energy

Force Blade: create energy [6], 3d+6 cut damage [3], lesser control magic [5], 1 greater effect [*3] = 42 energy

Energy Drain: create energy [6], 3d+3 fat damage [2], lesser control magic [5], 1 greater effect [*3] = 39 energy

Lightning Bolt: create energy [6], 3d+6 burn damage [2], lesser control magic [5], Surge & Sideeffect: stun [3], 1 greater effect [*3] = 45 energy

Hope these help.
You need targeting parameters (weight is the one I remember) on all of those.
Mathulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
You need targeting parameters (weight is the one I remember) on all of those.
No. Those do tripled, external damage which means that they're the classic "fireball in your hand" spells. You don't have to pay for subject weight or range because the subject is the ball of energy itself as it forms in your hand. The tradeoff is that you have to throw it (using Innate Attack skill), you take range penalties, it can be dodged, and the target's DR reduces the damage.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
Kalzazz

Does the throwing of it need to be a seperate action?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #16
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
No. Those do tripled, external damage which means that they're the classic "fireball in your hand" spells. You don't have to pay for subject weight or range because the subject is the ball of energy itself as it forms in your hand. The tradeoff is that you have to throw it (using Innate Attack skill), you take range penalties, it can be dodged, and the target's DR reduces the damage.
Ah? I thought you still needed enough weight to cover yourself due to the 'treat yourself as the subject' bit.

So what about my 'doom bullet' and 'aisoft of hurt' spells on the first page, are they correct or no, as in both cases they do have a target in the firearm, but they still have a skill to hit with?

Also I remember it being mentioned somewhere the cost to alter the base projectile for a 'ball in hand' spell (to increase range, add RoF, or make it guided), but I can't remember what it was- +1/10%?

Also to Kal- yes the throwing of it needs to be a separate action, but all spells once energy is accumulated are free actions- so out of a charm it would be 'concentrate to activate charm, free action cast spell, throw spell' (two actions, one free action)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #17
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer
Also to Kal- yes the throwing of it needs to be a separate action, but all spells once energy is accumulated are free actions- so out of a charm it would be 'concentrate to activate charm, free action cast spell, throw spell' (two actions, one free action)
Why would you need to concentrate to activate the charm? Just say, "waka-14" and have the charm activate when its holder says, "waka-14"?
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Why would you need to concentrate to activate the charm? Just say, "waka-14" and have the charm activate when its holder says, "waka-14"?
As a conditional ritual, you can do that.
That's why I reccomended conditional rituals. They are just like a charm but without the item.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #19
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
As a conditional ritual, you can do that.
That's why I reccomended conditional rituals. They are just like a charm but without the item.
Humm, so what is the benefit of a charm vs a conditional ritual? Since charms count as conditional rituals and do require a concentrate to activate, and share the same 'max conditional rituals' limit of thaum+magery?
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #20
mlangsdorf

You can hand charms to other people, so the group's Commando can fire your Sniper-Bullet-of-Doom with Gun!-18 using a sniper rifle, instead of your Witch using Pistol-13 and a Acc2 hand gun.

You can use a Charm Kit to get +1 or +2 on the roll, which is worth 30-40 energy points at high skill levels.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charms, monster hunters, ritual path magic, rpm