Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #301
Totem

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Could we get a rundown of where everyone is and what the site looks like? A estimation of numbers and distances would be good as well.

I also don't think any nukes are coming unless this is a larger group and compound than I thought.
Numbers of people who just vanished were roughly two hundred. The SS will explain that if the Necromancers have spread themselves over the country at sites like this then there could be upwards of two or three thousand getting together for whatever comes next. This appears to be a central or leadership group, rather than an unusually large one.

The entire group just escaped basically (the ones from this site). The current theory is that they'll be heading out to whatever site is going to be used for the coming ritual, along with all of the others. There wasn't much that anyone could do about it, aside from taking pot shots at Phule (with a visibility modifier of -2 and a range modifier of at least -8 and no more than a couple of seconds to fire in).

So, as a grand total:

All player characters, along with the SS named NPCs, have returned to the SS field base to assess intelligence type stuff and work out the next move.

The Necromancers on the site have vanished. Where to, you and the SS need to make some rolls to work out. Phule, something of a major figure apparently (and knowing magic that the SS had no idea even existed), went with them.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #302
Lamech

Do I need to post something on the IC thread? I think I'm caught up with my actions, but...
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #303
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Do I need to post something on the IC thread? I think I'm caught up with my actions, but...
Actually I think it's my turn. I'm back and trying to write up my time away, but I'm aiming to post something in the IC later today.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #304
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
Actually I think it's my turn. I'm back and trying to write up my time away, but I'm aiming to post something in the IC later today.
That's good, I've let stuff slip my mind before and when running through my games I wasn't sure.

Also I'm travelling 'till the 12th. I'll try and post as much as I can, but I'm not sure if I'll have internet. If I need to post something and its taking too long, just assume something for John that seems like it won't get him killed, and seems reasonable.
Hiriko
Andrew
Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #305
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
I'm not sure if I've asked questions like this before, but I should have if I haven't. Let me start with a story:

The guy who introduced me to the idea of GURPS (though not to the game itself sadly; I discovered that several years later) mentioned one situation that he had been in during a game where he was trying to take out someone in a car. For whatever reason, the proposed method of doing this was: a bomb (Demolitions/ Explosives/ Armoury) wired up to an infra-red detonator which was then detonated by his character riding a motorbike (Drive) using the infra-red doohicky on a mobile phone (Computer Operation to program a suitable signal, plus a penalty on Drive for trying to manipulate the phone and the motorbike at the same time). I think it worked...

Anyway, the point here is that I got the impression that the whole thing was somewhat open ended. Now, obviously it's tricky to be that open ended when you're on PbP because it's harder to just chat and exchange ideas with the other players (well, it isn't, but it's harder to keep track of the whole thing when it starts to run into multiple pages and people start loosing track of what the actual idea is).

Basically, my question is what would people prefer on PbP? I'm mostly aiming this question at my current players, but I'm open for anyone who wants to put their bit in to do so. I can railroad things and just make it a series of directed encounters where you have little or no choice about where to go (basically a more extreme version of what is happening here, where the team leader is an NPC) or more open ended (where you would be given a situation with a clear goal defined and would need to sort out how to deal with it based on what you took the initiative to find out). That last one I sort of tried with the first part of Worlds of Fire (dealing with Chu'dam), and I've tried to keep it to a less severe kind of railroading since then...

Basically, I'm trying to streamline the style a bit here; I've been left waiting for players to respond with thoughts on how to proceed when they're just sitting around not planning on moving at all, and I've had thoughts about whether to keep Worlds of Fire going or to give it up and start up something else instead. So whether I'm using these thoughts for Worlds of Fire or a different game... I could do with some hints or actual thoughts and suggestions so that I can work out what to do next.

(I'm not intending to be nasty here, but it's kind of come to a head recently where I'm expecting players to take the opportunity to role play and do something creative with the skills that they spent points on, when they seem to be expecting me to provide the ideas for them. This is genuinely a question of style, rather than getting at people.)
Okay, I thought I responded to this earlier. I guess I must have dreamed that or fabricated the memory or something. I like the somewhat open ended thing. Its been fairly good, even if we are slow on pacing. I think that people do need to post in response to most things, even if its just. John has no clue how to proceed and twiddles his thumbs.

Now, I have been rather disrupted and disorganized in my posting recently. I just got back from abroad so that should sort of explain why, and I should be doing better now. I'll post something IC soonish.
Hiriko
Andrew
Old 08-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #306
Totem

It's been a while since two of my players have posted, despite requests for contact and them both definitely being online. At this point I'm declaring both of their characters NPCs until I hear something from them.

This does mean that I have places available in Worlds of Fire again. I am looking for at most two players. Further requirements as follows:
  1. Characters should be working for the Western Harbour. They will have experience of dealing with the Blazen (I recommend points in Expert Skill (Blazen) to cover knowledge of M.O., capabilities, weaknesses, etc, though I'll be providing a character of my own with this skill).
  2. 250 points + 50 points in disadvantages. Existing players are due for more points to be issued shortly, so new players may get left behind a bit there. I will make up the difference the next time around.
  3. TL9 maximum. Sorry, but some of the advanced tech was getting awkward to factor into things, and it throws the curve a bit.
  4. See here for more requirements. Any listed here superceed those listed elsewhere.

I am instigating a new rule: all players must respond to any plan/ proposal put forwards, even if it is merely to say that their character is twiddling his thumbs and waiting for something else to happen. The recent slowdown in the game has been largely due to me not being sure whether players were waiting to move on or hadn't yet responded. No response will be taken as final (any more than it would normally), but only reasonable delay for waiting will be given.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #307
Dorin Thorha

Hey, sorry for once again dropping by the wayside here. I have classes starting and work to do, so I've had to once again cut back my online presence. I like this game, but it takes a lot of thinking to play it, and that means a lot of time, time I don't really have right now.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #308
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorin Thorha View Post
Hey, sorry for once again dropping by the wayside here. I have classes starting and work to do, so I've had to once again cut back my online presence. I like this game, but it takes a lot of thinking to play it, and that means a lot of time, time I don't really have right now.
No problem. Should you wish to return to the game let me know. In the mean time, I'm going to remove Indi from play as safely as I can, pending your return to the game.

This means that I've definitely got one place open, with the second pending word from Talosian.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #309
Totem

I'm confirming that I have two places available in this game. Anyone interested please get in touch ASAP (in the thread or PM) with a character idea.

Specific character requirements as follows:
  1. Characters should be working for the Western Harbour. They will have experience of dealing with the Blazen (I recommend points in Expert Skill (Blazen) to cover knowledge of M.O., capabilities, weaknesses, etc, though I'll be providing a character of my own with this skill).
  2. 250 points + 50 points in disadvantages. Existing players are due for more points to be issued shortly, so new players may get left behind a bit there. I will make up the difference the next time around.
  3. TL9 maximum. Sorry, but some of the advanced tech was getting awkward to factor into things, and it throws the curve a bit.
  4. See here for more requirements. Any listed here superceed those listed elsewhere.

I am instigating a new rule: all players must respond to any plan/ proposal put forwards, even if it is merely to say that their character is twiddling his thumbs and waiting for something else to happen. The recent slowdown in the game has been largely due to me not being sure whether players were waiting to move on or hadn't yet responded. No response will be taken as final (any more than it would normally), but only reasonable delay for waiting will be given.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #310
Lamech

I got hit with a homework, rush hence the delay on posting. I was hoping to get something out today, but that's not going to happen. As soon as I do get time though posting here will be my first priority. :( I am still hear though to some degree.
Hiriko
Andrew

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire