Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #31
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Low-Tech] [High-Tech] Portable cooling: higher-TL replacement of water jugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The amount of heat from water that is 12C cooler than you body temperature is just over 2% of the amount of heat you'll eliminate by sweating away the same amount of water, so in absolute terms it is not significant. However, it's cooling available exactly when you want it, and not subject to the limitations of sweat (which can shut down in cases of heatstroke).
The point seems to be that it's cooling cumulative with sweat-cooling, available as long as you can afford a +5% increase in water expenditure per day.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #32
Anthony

Default Re: [Low-Tech] [High-Tech] Portable cooling: higher-TL replacement of water jugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
The point seems to be that it's cooling cumulative with sweat-cooling, available as long as you can afford a +5% increase in water expenditure per day.
That 2% increase is not worth a +1. I think it's for heat stroke. It might also have something to do with psychological factors for thirst, in that you're more likely to drink more water when the water is cool.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #33
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
That 2% increase is not worth a +1. I think it's for heat stroke. It might also have something to do with psychological factors for thirst, in that you're more likely to drink more water when the water is cool.
Well, for some reason, getting those waterbags back into the army was a big deal, so it seems to be of non-negligible utility. Whether it's worth a flat modifier to survival or some other effect is unclear, but the +1 seems to be the smallest non-negligible thing in GURPS.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #34
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Well, the current RAW doesn't produce accurate numbers. I would be losing around 10-12 FP in a shift if that was the case, assuming I passed those HT -2 rolls every 30 minutes. That's bad, bad business.

We've had numerous case of people passing out from dehydration at work during the summer, which is why we give daily safety briefs about hydration in the summer.

Edit: Also, a 2% decrease in temperature is what, about 2 degrees of farenheint? That's enough to bring you from fever to normal temperature, right?
Old 12-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Well, let's think about it. I'm about 165lbs, so that's 75kg, right? About 70% of me is water, so that's what, 52 liters or so? During the summer months while working, consuming 2 to 4 liters of water in 5-6.5 hours was a regular thing, with few breaks to urinate. That's about 3-5% of my total water content in a work period. And I would have considered myself poorly hydrated through-out that period.

Yes, if we're talking about a few ounces of cool water, that's no big deal. But if we are talking about multiple liters of water consumed and lost, then that's a pretty significant amount of my water mass. But over a day, you need to consume about a gallon and a half of water to be healthy. GURPS lets us get away with what, 2 quarts day? Which is a half gallon, which is about on the minimum I would put back for a day if I suspected potable water to be hard to come by.

But yeah, a bonus to survival and FP loss due to heat is probably due. After-all, if I'm losing 1fp an hour due to work, and that was doubled by the heat, then that's 10-12 FP lost over the course of the night, without failures on that check at -2 every 30 minutes. So either I have really good health, or water helps.
2 quarts is 1/4 of a gallon. A healthy human can handle sweating up to 1 gallon a day. Evaporative cooling is incredible from a physics standpoint.
I'm sure you gained a point of Temperature Tolerance toward heat. That would allow you to work merely being healthy rather than uber-athletic.
Also if you're drinking that much water that often, I don't see how Vicki's portable cooling devices would have time to work on all that water before PCs drink it.

Even cold loving lazy me adapted to long walks in 100+ degree weather last summer, something I never would have thought possible before I did it. Obviously nothing like heavy work in high humidity near those temps, but it illustrates the principle of how much humans can adapt to heat.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I agree I would likely wear warm water rather than drink it. During my 100+ degree walks, I often carried a small spray bottle to occasionally spritz myself with. I'm not sure how effective or efficient that would be for humans adapted to sweating adequately. Though I bet it would reduce body strain a smidge.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #37
Agemegos

Quote:
That 2% increase is not worth a +1. I think it's for heat stroke.
Seems reasonable. The cooling effect of a cold drink gets core temperature down quicker than the evaporation of sweat does, even if ultimately not as much. And time matters with heatstroke.

Then there's humidity: on a humid day around here sweating makes you more wet than cool. Whereas a schooner of icy-cold beer always works.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #38
Flyndaran
Untagged

Heat exhaustion, guys. Heat stroke requires hospitalization. Heat exhaustion is more a treat at home issue.
I developed it once on an 84 degree day back when I simply could not tolerate even warm weather safely. But I recovered fine within a few hours and was back to normal the next day.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #39
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
2 quarts is 1/4 of a gallon.
4 quarts per gallon. ("Quart"-ers of a gallon.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:13 PM   #40
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
4 quarts per gallon. ("Quart"-ers of a gallon.)
My mistake. I wonder how I got that mixed up.

Tags
cooling, desert, high-tech, jungle, low-tech, survival