Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #41
Cowrie

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#35): Detect

Some posts in this thread have me a bit confused as to the effects of the Reflexive modifier on Detect. To be clear, does Reflexive actually make Detect "always on" and able to act as a normal sense, or is there some other modifier called "Sense" needed to do that? And, do references to a "Sense" modifier refer to Sense-Based from Basic Set, or is there a new modifier by that exact name in some other book?
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #42
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
Some posts in this thread have me a bit confused as to the effects of the Reflexive modifier on Detect. To be clear, does Reflexive actually make Detect "always on" and able to act as a normal sense, or is there some other modifier called "Sense" needed to do that? And, do references to a "Sense" modifier refer to Sense-Based from Basic Set, or is there a new modifier by that exact name in some other book?
In powers it talks about it but I don't know if it goes enough into detail. Basically, Reflexive changes Detect from an active power to a sense.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #43
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds_ks View Post
Well, "CP total" is the only way to put it in a system that doesn't know "experience point based character levels". Most systems that I know had some way to detect the character level.
Well, in fact, now that I think about it, some of those system never made it to the American market as (in one case) nobody cared about translations or (in some other cases) market introduction failed because it's hard to establish a new product in an already existing market.

But the core "problem" still persists: You see a villain. It's a human. You can judge his ST, maybe also DX (smooth movements) and HT (pale skin).
Now your question is: Fight or Flight & call the cavalry. Inf fact you make your decision on your judgement of the GM: Does he like direct confrontation? Then it's probable that the power of the villain is not too high.
Or does the GM prefer subtle approaches? Then maybe many villains are too strong for direct attacks, and if you attack directly, then this probably will end in a heroic defeat...

In real world there wouldn't be a clear destinction between weapon skill and (general) DX, so "smooth movements" could give you some insight. And in real world, there's not the danger of somebody having 52 CP in a weapon skill. Of course, there are some special forces with high skill, but at least you should know whether your own skill is "fair", "great" or "close to best possible". In GURPS, there is no limit to skill. You could even invest hundreds of CP or more - which maybe might even be appropriate for a Jedi fighting in battles ("The Clone Wars"), who potentially have to parry dozens of blaster shots per second, each parry at a cumulative -2.

The Aura-spell gives you a chance to see hidden traits, but the list of possible readable traits is quite short.
Did roguebfl's post not help with this?
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #44
Cowrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
In powers it talks about it but I don't know if it goes enough into detail. Basically, Reflexive changes Detect from an active power to a sense.
Okay, that's what I had thought, but some stuff earlier in this thread got me thinking I might have misinterpreted it. Thanks for the clarification.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #45
Leynok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds_ks View Post
Well, "CP total" is the only way to put it in a system that doesn't know "experience point based character levels".
I once actually used Detect to let a character sense the power of others. I forget which pyramid it was from, but there was the "It's a Threat" that gave ways of roughly judging a character's effectiveness in combat, and so I used those numbers rather than any point total (and with an analyzing roll they could further pinpoint the target's defensive and offensive aspects individually).
It worked exactly how I wanted it to, with the score given being a good indicator of how threatening each monster could have been, but not being a perfect measurement (the party were scared of this monster who's score was unusually high because It's a Threat doesn't account for negative scores, the lowest being 0; which gave a glass canon enemy a bloated threat level. It was quite amusing to see their reaction when they took the thing down before it even got a chance to react.)
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acute senses, advantage, advantage of the week, detect, week, [basic]