Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #31
samd6

Default Re: Another 2000 Things I Am No Longer Allowed To Do In An RPG

52 Not allowed to play the atheist cleric
53 Pointing out that the cleric splatbook has miracles for atheism does not help my case
54 Yes, the fact that only atheist clerics get access to the divine version of dispel magic and anti-magic does make them broken.

(The system is TORG in case anybody is wondering.)
Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #32
digoraccoon

My players and their latest adventure--

55. I'm no longer allowed to Polymorph Any Object the enemy bandits into oranges and then turn around and offer the party an afternoon citrus snack to "share the exp for slaying the enemy".

56. I'm no longer allowed to start up an electrical generator while submerged in undead-shark infested water.

57. I'm no longer allowed to refer to Will-O'-Wisps as "Spongbob Zap-Pants" and give them a theme song.

The Arbiters Conspiracy comics at its Fnordest.
digoraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #33
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6
52 Not allowed to play the atheist cleric
(How exactly does that work, that makes about as much sense as draining blood from a stone. How do you get divine powers by believing in no god)

58. I can't harvest organs off the bandits we killed to see if I can sell it to a medical college. Even if I do come up with methods of preserving them and it would benefit medical science.

59. I can't summon a giant snake in the middle of town just because I don't want to waste a couple turns later doing the summoning ritual outside the safety of the town.

60. I will never again be allowed to buy anything with even a fraction of glass if I keep throwing it at enemies eyes. Turns out giving everyone permanent blindness makes everything too easy.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #34
samd6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
(How exactly does that work, that makes about as much sense as draining blood from a stone. How do you get divine powers by believing in no god)
Max ranks in Faith:Atheism, with Faith chosen as the characters Tag Skill.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #35
Kol

to be fair Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay had a storyarc that involved the PC's bringing down a "cult of athiesim" that attacked sigmarite, Morrian, ect churches.
Turned out they were backed by Neholo the "chaos god of athiesim" who appears as a pudgy little balding man, and then thanks the players for destroying his cult at the end of the adventure, and tosses them a copper as a reward.

Basicly his porfolo was "doubt" and because he works against the other chaos gods (and gods in general including himself) he is a "rouge god" in that pantheon.
Kol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

I love it. Roleplaying has for far too long been a place of offending religious people. It's atheists' turn to be ruthlessly mocked and misinterpreted.
Hey, wait a minute. I'm atheist... eh, no honor among disbelievers?

A serious god of skepticism would be interesting. No government or organization would like him though.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #37
Kalzazz

I once played a Cleric of Ignorance

'So, what benefit do you get from serving your god?' 'I don't know!'
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #38
Kol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I love it. Roleplaying has for far too long been a place of offending religious people. It's atheists' turn to be ruthlessly mocked and misinterpreted.
Hey, wait a minute. I'm atheist... eh, no honor among disbelievers?

A serious god of skepticism would be interesting. No government or organization would like him though.
In the warhammer setting Neholo has almost no followers, and he does not grant boons to his (tiny) groups of faithful. Instead he sides with weaker chaos tribes or cults against a stronger or more devout ones.

Basicly doing things like cutting off someone's power at the worst moment, for example causing a powerful chaos sorcer/shaman to get killed by causing his shield spell to suddenly and fatally fail, allowing an imperial hero to lop his head off, and break the faith of the horde in their oracle.

He doesn't care what you disbeleve, as long as someone gets hurt.
His fellow chaos gods hate his guts for obvious reasons, but he's too useful against "the other guy" (pantheon infighting among the Chaos Gods is constant and bloody.) to be destroyed.

Last edited by Kol; 12-16-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Kol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #39
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I once played a Cleric of Ignorance

'So, what benefit do you get from serving your god?' 'I don't know!'
You get bonus spells for Wisdom below 8. It's your dump stat and your Prime Requisite!
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #40
Ed the Coastie

61 -- No matter how amusing I find the concept, I am no longer allowed to run cross-genre campaigns without warning the players first. For some reason, most of my players had a bit of trouble wrapping their minds around BunnyQuest, a Bunnies & Burrows/Call of Cthulhu mash-up in which nomadic jackrabbits infiltrate an abandoned Human research laboratory in order to square off against sorcery-using rats who worship a diabolical mutant platypus.