Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: Beasts in HTH

FWIW, the 3d+3 giant club is no doubt using basic Melee's giant club rules, where damage is 1d+1 for every 10 ST of the giant.

And Melee giants go up to ST 50... so club damage 5d+5.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:59 PM   #22
larsdangly

That sounds right to me. Melee and Wizard were left a sort of their own little world when it comes to some of the performance stats for various creatures. Personally, when I play TFT I just go with the damage you would calculate using ITL's approach, at least for humanoids
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:21 AM   #23
phiwum

I guess the question to be settled is whether every hit from a giant's club is likely a near death blow for the average character or whether most such hits are.

If you go with 3d, there are some hits that do less than the 1d+7 minimum and some which do more and the 1d+7 max. Instead of equal odds for every outcome, there is a bell curve. I don't have a good argument as to why 3d is preferable or worse than 1d+7 however, so I haven't decided to make a house rule or to write it into the descriptions of any encountered giants.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:59 AM   #24
Skarg

I tend to prefer dice to high "adds", because something like 1d+7 (or even 1d+4) is not very variable and has a high minimum. Unless there's a reason I think a high minimum makes sense for some type of attack because of what it represents, I tend to like to replace adds with dice.

Mainly I look at the lowest damage roll, and think if that seems right or not.

... also taking into account that a 1 on 1d happens 1/6 of the time, much more than a 2 on 2d6 (1/36 of the time), or a 3 on 3d (1/216 of the time).

So I look at 1d+7 and the first thing I question is "can't roll less than 8 damage" - does that seem right? (Of course, the answer is subjective and will vary from player to player...)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #25
hcobb

Why should switching from Melee/Wizard to ITL grant at least +1 damage on all bare handed attacks, plus whatever you get from talents?
Old 10-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #26
larsdangly

Agreed; this is one of the reasons I ignore that rule. The other major reason is that every time an un-needed rule gets pruned away an angel gets its wings.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #27
phiwum

Because for some reason, the designers decided that the humanoid HTH damage was a bit lighter than it should be and changed it in ITL. Obviously.

And just as obviously, one might think that was unwarranted and drop it if they want. Since the reasoning that led to the +1 isn't obvious to me and since I don't have any clear idea what the right amount of damage ought to be, I'll play it RAW.

(Lars does have a point that removing rules is generally beneficial. That +1 is just another thing we may forget in the middle of play. On the other hand, many of our contributions in the house rules section are devoted to adding rather than removing rules.)
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote